You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2019

Started by skb, December 26, 2018, 04:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamagno

High this morning (have to put in a new insertion set).

Went yesterday for a brunch at one and we didn't eat until nearly four, which state of affairs naturally through me off most all day. It just doesn't matter how often people listen to how I need to eat, I guess it's all just too foreign for anyone to comprehend.

I'll get myself back on schedule today, but as BigSkyGal rightly comments, it'll likely take a couple of days to get back in order. I'm a little nervous that my wife has invited a dinner guest, so who knows how that'll work out. At the least, there's always next week.
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

153 again this morning.

I often find myself in the situation where I 'need' to eat and through a set of circumstances beyond my control - it just doesn't work out that way.  I have ended up with some really nasty lows from which it is difficult to recover.  Maybe a few cheese sticks or some beef jerky would help tide you over Tamagno.

Can anyone explain in simple terms, just why it takes longer to recover when you get older?  Is it due to something a person does or does not do correctly?
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

106 this morning.  We were at 107° for a high yesterday and it is supposed to be 108° today.  This is supposed to be the hottest day for the week and then is is going to start to cool down a bit.  A woman was found dead in Death Valley yesterday and the temp was 120°.  No cause of death yet but high heat is suspected.  It can get to 120° here and I have been working here when it was.  Not pleasant at all.  This year we have not seen the temp get above 110° and it looks like we will not.  Not at all unhappy about that.
Tamagno, I hope you can get back on track quickly.
Grammabear, I don't know that it is anything you can do except try to live the healthiest lifestyle you can manage.  I think it is just a fact of growing older. 
Barbara, I have been dealing with allergies all Summer long and take a Benadryl every morning to deal with coughing, runny nose and stuffy head.  Hope you recover soon.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

119 this hazy morning, 104 at bedtime last night.

Yesterday it got up to 82°. Right now hit is 72° with a forecast of 90° but I doubt that will happen.

I take Benadryl at night when I can't sleep, hadn't thought of taking it in the morning. Maybe if I take it really late at night it will work for the morning coughing? I'm afraid it will make me sleepy during the day. Have to experiment.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

Quote from: Grammabear on September 01, 2019, 10:27:26 AMCan anyone explain in simple terms, just why it takes longer to recover when you get older?  Is it due to something a person does or does not do correctly?

I'll attempt to answer that question. Life is nothing but a process of growth and death of cells all over the body, all the time. During the growing years more cells are created than destroyed until the late youth when a plateau is achieved. In the next phase, until the middle ages the number of cells generated vs destroyed stabilizes. Beyond this as you age, more cells are destroyed than are grown, and that means a loss of physical mass, agility and cognitive mental ability. Naturally, in this state, recovery from anything takes longer, if at all.

Hope this helps.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Tamagno

187 this morning.

Just to add to SKB's more thorough explanation, Grammabear, it's the inevitable tendency of absolutely everything to fall apart, to go from order to disorder, vis, entropy. It's the same reason we clean and repair our homes constantly, why cars need repairs and why we age.

The very popular idea that somehow we can avoid that or even reverse it by means of diet, environment and exercise is misguided. Interestingly, however, speeding up the process by those means is possible and also very popular...

I've known at least two people with the curious fixation on the idea that they had a finite number of actual bodily processes and so hit on the scheme of limiting all movements as they aged. Both are long dead.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

113 this morning.

So, to sum up the process of aging ~ "It isn't for sissies"

We mowed our grass yesterday and it is the first time this season that we didn't have to slather ourselves with mosquito repellent or sunscreen as the weather was mostly cloudy and cool.  No mosquitoes which I didn't miss at all, actually very pleasant 4 hrs of mowing.  Lawn looks good today.

I take an antihistamine called Allegra daily year round for allergies.  It does not help with the decongestant but instead with the symptoms you all have mentioned.  I cannot take the decongestant as I have high blood pressure.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

89 this morning.  We reached a high temp of 107° yesterday, same as the day before.  It is supposed to start cooling down now but we are starting out with a temp of 81° at 5:00 AM so we will see how that goes.
Barbara, I sleep well without any congestion so I take the Benadryl first thing in the morning when I am stuffed up a lot.  I have never had it make me sleepy during the day but that may be different for you.
Yeah, getting older has it's challenges but it beats the alternative.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

95 this hazy morning, 116 at bedtime last night.

High was 80° here yesterday, forecast for today is 87°. It is 78° right now, so I kind of doubt it will get that high.

Feel a little better today but still not 100%. Taking the Benadryl at bedtime did forestall the morning coughing some. Instead of coughing at 5:30Am, it started at 8:30 today and didn't last as long.

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

Tamagno

128 this morning.

Way too much socializing for me this past weekend; finally today I should have a bit of quiet and perhaps can get a few things done around here.

Grammabear

90 this morning.

I will be having way too much socializing today as in the kind you don't really want to have ~ I have my 3 month diabetic check-up with my GP.  She usually isn't interested all that much in talking about diabetes, but instead she will talk about her agenda of invasive testing or some other thing.  I dread these appointments and wish whole heartedly that Medicare did not require them of type 1 diabetics on a pump!!! 
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

85 this morning.  We were supposed to get of a high temp. of 105° yesterday but it was overcast all day and we only made it to 97°.  It is sunny and clear today so it will probably get to the 104° predicted temp. today.
We had some visitors come by yesterday but they didn't stay to eat and it was a nice visit so not too much socializing here. I did have a very nice New York steak from the BBQ for dinner.  It turned out to be a nice holiday.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

bigskygal

97 this hazy morning, 98 at bedtime last night.

High was 80° yesterday. The forecast for today is 92°, but it is only 79° right now so probably won't get that high.

Still not well but a little better today than yesterday. My voice is still gone, but there is no one here to talk to so I guess it will just get a rest...

skb

Quote from: bigskygal on September 03, 2019, 05:20:25 PMStill not well but a little better today than yesterday. My voice is still gone, but there is no one here to talk to so I guess it will just get a rest...

Gargling with salted hot water really helps me when I'm in that situation.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Tamagno

171 this morning.

As a retired professional singer, I'm pretty good with hoarseness remedies, BigSkyGal, so I'll add my two cents. The trouble us two fold, vis, your vocal cords are dry and swollen. In that state, they don't like to move, so you sound hoarse. Two things that help: hydration via long, hot shower, and/or inhaling vapors of hot water. The only remedy by way of fluids would be any hot tea containing slippery elm (lemon and caffeinated tea make things worse). Ricola lozenges are the best ones if you must.

Antihistamines, etc., all are drying which exacerbates the problem. The same with alcohol.

If you speak use more breath, almost like you were singing. Whispering is actually one of the worst things you can do to your voice - speaking louder would actually be better.

I tried eating a Whopper along with it's bun and fries yesterday, but only managed a couple bites - couldn't swallow the bread, the flavor was awful and the fries lousy. Well, hopefully that idea's out of my system. Can't understand why I used to think those were so great.