You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2019

Started by skb, December 26, 2018, 04:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigskygal

103 this cloudy morning, 91 at bedtime last night.

70° was the high yesterday and it rained overnight. It is 60° right now with prediction of 74° for high, but again, I don't think that is going to happen. The sky is really dark, but no rain in forecast for today.

Actually feel a little better today. I'll be glad when the coughing completely stops.

I have a Kindle, but I tend to read more on the Kindle app on my iPad. I think you can go online on the kindle, but haven't figured out how. That's why I prefer to read on my iPad. I can go online if I want very easily.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Tamagno

170 this morning.

I use my iPad almost exclusively for most all my computing and have an Amazon Fire tablet I generally use for reading at night. The Fire tablets have some quirks and are slow, but are cheap and allow me to do most everything I can do on my iPad (Kindle books sync across platforms); since they're inexpensive, I don't worry about dropping it or spilling on it. I use Kindle almost exclusively for reading and have done so for some years now. It makes reading in bed much easier than print. Plus, e-books are cheaper, instantly downloadable, font size, etc, is adjustable as is backlight, they're searchable and never forget my place. It's something I resisted a long time, but now rarely read print.

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

189 this morning.  I 'indulged' a craving for chips last night and now regret my decision.

Tamagno - I think I would like to read Kindle books on a tablet because my phone screen is small and hard for me to read because of the smaller print.  I have an eye exam scheduled soon, so maybe that will help.  Is there anything I need to know about buying a tablet or a iPad like what size GB is most economical or convenient?

I usually drink only two cups of coffee in the morning, and was just wondering if anyone here has issues with using artificial sweeteners?
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

81 this morning.  We had a high of 85° yesterday so even cooler.  It looks like this will be the norm for the rest of the month.  There is a chance of rain in the forecast next week but that is too far off to be counted on.
Grammabear, your choice depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend.  There are advantages to the Kindle if you are just wanting to read e-books.  It is cheaper than a tablet but it is not that good for some of the things a tablet can do.  How much memory depends also on what you want to do.  Books take little memory and with the Kindle you can have your library stored on the Amazon cloud and just download the ones you want to access and read at the time.  A tablet like the iPad is a lot more expensive but better as a computer.
I used to have my coffee in the morning "bullet proof" with HWC, coconut oil and sweetener but lately I am drinking it black.  I have never had a problem with artificial sweeteners but I guess some people do. 
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

93 this cloudy morning, 93 at bedtime last night.

High yesterday was 60°. It rained again overnight and there was fresh snow on the mountain tops behind me. When I got up at 9:30 this morning it was 48°. It is 55° now with a forecast high of 60° with showers.

Feeling better, finally. Not 100% but going in the right direction. I think  part of it is the change in the weather. It has been cooler and things are not blooming any more.

I too used to drink the bulletproof coffee for breakfast, but now just drink it black cold brewed. Artificial sweeteners never bothered me, but I didn't use them often, in fact haven't used them at all for a year or so.

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

skb

In my days of extensive testing, I found artificial sweeteners to raise my BG by about 20 mg/dl. I haven't checked lately. But I did find that sucralose was better than aspartame for me. 
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Tamagno

166 this morning.

For artificial sweeteners, I use pure liquid sucralose or stevia in powdered form. I have fewer problems than I used to, but find those two best in form and flavor with little to no impact on glucose.

Grammabear, I'd recommend you buy a wifi-only iPad (they can be had with built-in cellular connection). While I've sometimes wished for more, I have 32 GBs of storage that works out just fine. Currently, these are fairly inexpensive and are the friendliest to use while being remarkably capable. The latest 7th generation "base" model like mine is currently $330 at Best Buy.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

110 this morning.

Thanks all for the input on these various devices that we have in our lives now.  I think I need to research all of them again and maybe wait just a bit until after my eye exam.  Been having great difficulty reading lately so I'm sort of expecting a change in the glasses I currently have.

Today marks our 49th wedding anniversary.  We're going out to a favorite 'family' style restaurant to celebrate.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

101 this morning.  Enjoying the cooler weather but it is going to be quite windy today so not so pleasant outside.
Grammabear, happy anniversary, enjoy the celebration !
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

114 this cloudy morning, 102 at bedtime last night.

High yesterday was 55°. It is 61° right now with a high forecast of 63°, it might get there.

Definitely feeling better today. Energy level is getting better each day. Still have a bit of a cough but so much less. Finally!!

ETA: Happy Anniversary Grammabear!!

skb

Quote from: Grammabear on September 19, 2019, 09:57:24 AMToday marks our 49th wedding anniversary.  We're going out to a favorite 'family' style restaurant to celebrate.

You cannot view this attachment.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Tamagno

No idea yet what glucose is this morning. Something wacky with my meters, fresh strips or me. My attempts at finger sticks result in either error messages or wildly high readings (no reason for the latter). I'll investigate shortly.

Congratulations, Grammabear. I surely hope you and hubby enjoy your day!

Grammabear

92 this morning.

Blood sugar reading yesterday morning after we had our restaurant breakfast was a diseaster at 252.  It required an injection and a whole bunch of walking at the grocery store in town and at the local walmart where hubby needed oil and filter for his car.  By suppertime time it was down to 110 which is respectable for me.  The breakfast was tasty especially since someone else made it.  :)

Artificial sweeteners also raise my bs about 20 points but since I like the taste of something sweet in my coffee, I put up with the temporary rise for 1-2 cups per day.

Bigskygal - Glad to hear you're making positive progress forward toward recovery from this crummy cough etc. that has plagued you for too long.  Hubby and I are also feeling much better.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

104 yesterday.  Definitely cooler with a high yesterday of 81° and this morning at 6:00 AM it was 56°.  The winds of yesterday are gone so it should be a nice day today.
Barbara and Grammabear, glad you are feeling better.  For me I think it was just allergies kicking up but I am also feeling better. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

bigskygal

Snap Wally! 104 here this morning too. 101 at bedtime last night.

62° was the high yesterday. That is the temp right now with a forecast of 64° for the high, may get there.

I am feeling much better, this has been a long haul! I think it was mostly allergies. I was thinking about it last night and remembered that last Sept. I was sick too for about 2 weeks, but that wasn't anything like this. I was nauseous and no appetite. That triggered the whole medical fiasco of pancreatitis, gall stones, liver cancer and 10,000 different tests which all said I had none of the above. It may have been allergies then too w/out all the coughing/sneezing.  I'll have to pay more attention next year.