You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2019

Started by skb, December 26, 2018, 04:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skb

Quote from: Tamagno on September 24, 2019, 04:27:16 AMNot only are there lots of hidden carbs out there, but prepared foods recipes have a way of changing, as do my own sensitivities.

Grammabear, my winter foods are certainly different. In the summer, I'm fond of various salads of chopped vegetables with sweet and spicy dressings while in cold weather my vegetables most always get roasted. My meats also find their way to the oven switching from the summer charcoal grill.

Quite true. I have gone through a study (long ago) which said that the body's tolerance for carbs is higher in the hotter summer months.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Grammabear

101 this morning.

skb - The study you were in sounds interesting.  I know for sure that my insulin requirements are less in hotter months than in colder months.  Not absolutely certain if that would be true if I were very diligent about staying to a certain amount of carbs every day.

Bigskygal - We love crack slaw and it is the one dish when there are never any 'leftovers'.  I use my largest fry pan and even double the recipe and somehow it all just disappears.  My husband really like the dish and he calls it 'my diabetic food' but somehow it still disappears.   ;)

Tamagno - What vegetables do you prefer to roast in the oven?  I haven't much experience doing that.  It sounds delicious.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

109 this morning.  I got a bit carried away last night and had some french fries with my burger.  It shows this morning.  We had a high of only 91° yesterday but it is predicted to get to 96° degrees today and 97° tomorrow then cooling back down.
I really like Crack Slaw and it is very good for my bg.  Here we can use the BBQ year around and do so meals tend to be the same year around.  Interesting that I have never seen a difference in my tolerance for carbs to be any different from winter to summer.  Here we go from quite hot in the summer to quite cold in the winter but I don't seem to change from one season to the other.  Just shows how we are all different.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

95 this partly cloudy very windy morning, 97 at bedtime last night.

68° was the high yesterday. It is 65° now with predicted high of 69°. It is really windy and I really don't like the wind. Snow in the forecast for Sunday and Monday. I hope we are not going to go straight into Winter!

Have to go out and run some errands today so will probably help my step count.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

Quote from: Grammabear on September 24, 2019, 10:03:41 AMskb - The study you were in sounds interesting.  I know for sure that my insulin requirements are less in hotter months than in colder months.  Not absolutely certain if that would be true if I were very diligent about staying to a certain amount of carbs every day.

By "gone through", I meant that I have read the study. I do think that your I:C ratio would change seasonally, whether you had the same amounts of carbs every day or not.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Tamagno

201 this morning.

In colder months, most people naturally add fattier foods that I'd think also would contribute to carb tolerance. It'd be hard to control variables in these sorts of studies, though everything is grist for the mill.

Grammabear, most all vegetables change considerably with roasting, a process tending to draw out and caramelize their sugars. Brussels sprouts, carrots, and root vegetables become very different things this way. Whole garlic cloves roasted take on a sweetness and texture that makes them wonderful as a spread to put on nearly anything.
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

154 this morning.

Last night I had some leftover pulled pork with a little bit of BBQ sauce on it.  Although the sauce had splenda in it, my bg still rose anyway.  Guess I should have been more diligent in reading labels.  Splenda and I do not get along.

Tamagno - Thank you for the tip on roasting vegetables and garlic.  We use a lot of garlic at our house, but I've never roasted it in the oven.  My hubby is thinking about planting some in the garden just for the fun of growing it himself.

Also learned at my eye exam yesterday that I need cataract surgery and not especially looking forward to that.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

91 this morning.  Our high yesterday was 91° and it is supposed to be heading to 95° today.  Next week we are supposed to see significant cooling and be in the mid 80s.  That would be nice.
We have done roasted vegetables on the Traeger BBQ and they come out really good.  I am selective of which vegetables i use to keep the carbs limited.
Grammabear, I had cataract surgery and lens implants about 10 years ago.  It's one of the best things I have had done.  I had no idea how much the cataracts had impaired my vision but when I had one eye done, they only do one eye at a time, I could hardly wait to get the other done.  The surgery is easy so don't fret about it.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

100 this partly cloudy morning, 93 at bedtime last night.

65° ended up being the high yesterday. It is 61° now, forecast is 67° for the high...may get there, maybe. The snow is now forecast for Sat & Sun. I just hope it is a dusting and goes away fast.

Tamagno, you just made me really want roasted garlic!!

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

Tamagno

156 this morning.

Ditto what Wally said about cataract surgery, Grammabear!

For what it's worth, I did the big Apple iOS update on my iPad yesterday and so far am loving it. Among other things, it's noticeably faster and allows more customization of home screen, etc. I've seen complaints in some tech blogs, but so far haven't encountered any bugs. The "big" dark mode business is sort of fun.

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

auntiekris

Back, yet again.  I hope you all have been well! 

Grammabear

94 this morning.

Wally - Thank you for the information on cataract surgery.  I have had mostly poor vision all of my life, and the eye doctor said I should get at least twice as good as I have now.  So, not exactly sure what kind of improvement I could hope for, but trying to stay positive anyway.  At the eye exam any of the lens changes did nothing to improve what I have now and it was super frustrating.  I'm getting so I can't read only very large bold print which is depressing.

Welcome back auntiekris.  We've mostly been well around here.  Hope you are doing alright also.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

83 this morning.  It looks like we will be seeing cooler temps for the next few days.
Hi Kris, glad to hear from you, hope you are doing well.
Tamagno, I have also upgraded my iPad and iPhone to the latest ios and so far I like it.  It will take a while to learn all of the things changed but so far it looks good.
Grammabear, I don't know how much of an improvement you may get but it was quite a big change for me.  You get a new lens that is corrected for your eyes now and I have 20/20 vision now at a distance.  I still need to wear glasses for reading and other close use like the computer but my close vision with glasses is much better than before.  It is hard to realize just how much the cataracts have impaired your vision as it happens over a long time but I am sure you will see an improvement. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

skb

Quote from: auntiekris on September 26, 2019, 08:58:37 AM168

Back, yet again.  I hope you all have been well! 

Welcome back Kris. Great to see you posting.  Hope all is well with you and yours.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

bigskygal

103 this cloudy morning, 96 at bedtime last night.

62° was the high yesterday. 58° so far is the high for today. This storm that is coming in this weekend is supposed to be a bad one. Mid state?Continental Divide is going to get the worst of it 18-36" of snow, high winds, etc. It is a Feb storm in Sept. Trees still have leaves and the snow could break branches which could lead to power outages. We get rain Sat and snow Sun, just don't know how much... Ugh

I updated my phone to iOS13 but my iPad Mini2 is too old to upgrade...darn. Haven't done my laptop yet. It is set to auto upgrade so not sure why it hasn't yet. It says 13.01. Not too worried about the iPad for now as long as it works and I can order through the forum on Amazon I'm good.

Hi Kris! Nice to see you back!