You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2019

Started by skb, December 26, 2018, 04:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigskygal

106 this partly cloudy morning, 96 at bedtime last night.

50° was the high yesterday. It is 52° right now heading for a high of 57° maybe. Overnight prediction is 34°.

The Wild Garlic salt flakes were yummy on my steak last night! The other flavor is smoked sea salt flakes. I think I am going to get that too.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

Quote from: Grammabear on October 03, 2019, 08:53:19 AMAbout a week ago I decided to cut way back on my carbs thinking if I could lower my total daily dose of insulin I could also lose weight.  The lowering of carbs is ok, not hard actually, but lowering the insulin via basal/bolus rates is a lot more challenging.  Been having lots of lows multiple times a day. 

Just as we discussed in the other thread.

Theoretically, you should look at it the other way, IMO. Tolerating highs for a few days would be much better than tolerating hypos, till you have been able to recalculate your correct dosage. I don't know how easy or hard this is, to accomplish with a pump / CGM.

I've kept an Article on calculating I : C ratios in the download Block to the right, just in case.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

skb

Quote from: auntiekris on October 03, 2019, 08:59:33 AMI feeling like I'm getting there slowly, less ups and downs during the day.  And daily exercise is definitely helping too.

Grammabear, I've just stopped taking the fast acting Humlin R because I've been getting so low as I've reduced carbs.  I can't imagine as a Type 1 the amount of calculating that must go into figuring the right amounts.  As least for taxes, I have a special program for that.  :)

Great. The roller-coasters leave you all drained out. Exercise definitely helps.
Making a s/w program for something as unique and diverse as a human body is a monumental challenge, but I think algorithms can be written for anything.  :P
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

skb

Quote from: walkerwally1 on October 03, 2019, 10:33:05 AMYeah, when you are taking a medication for lowering your blood sugar or insulin it is a challenge to cut carbs and hit the right dose. I remember when I used to rely on Glipizide because that was  what I was taught and I cut carbs I had to stop the Glipizide completely to prevent lows.  It took a few weeks to normalize but it did.But I am still making insulin, just not enough to cover high carb meals.  It seems to me that a T-1 is having to hit a moving target and has a bigger challenge.  I do thing Dr. Bernstein's advice that the rule of small numbers helps.  The less carbs you take in the less insulin you need but it takes work.

Yeah Wally, I remember my own days of glimepiride. Oof the hypos (false or not) were terrible. Thankfully I did learn LC soon enough and gave up the meds completely. I've just started a low dose (250 mg) metformin as I have not been able to maintain the strictness of LCHF.   
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Tamagno

243 this morning.

I long ago gave up having a 24-hour collection of basal rates but rather five or six fixed ones (including zero) I change throughout the day and I try to bolus minimally. Sometimes I'm successful and sometimes not. Definitely it's the hypos that leave me debilitated so I'll often remain on the high side. Eating less generally makes things easier.

We've actually got a frost warning tonight - last evening I was cold sitting even with an electric blanket; when I got up I realized it wasn't turned on. Good grief!
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

walkerwally1

86 this morning.  86° yesterday for a high and should be the same today.  Off early this morning as I have business in another town and have about a 2 hour drive to get there. 
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

103 this morning.

Tamagno - your electric blanket story reminds me of my own 'good grief' story.  Upon occasion I will have a single slice of whole wheat toast.  One morning while readying our breakfast of eggs and bacon, I decided to put a slice of toast in the toaster we keep at the ready for my husband.  After an extended period of time that included watching the clock, I complained loudly that the toaster was broken and we would have to shop for another.  My husband walked over to the toaster to investigate and said "It helps if you plug it in."   ::)

My diabetes management last night included an injection for a high number after eating a bowl of soup that contained some form of modified starch, then a low which required me to turn off the pump for about an hour and then wondering - "Now what"?  It is a challenge some days more than others.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

auntiekris

161 after bedtime high of 156.

So much for thinking I was getting the numbers right.  Although still way better than two weeks ago.

Grammabear, yes I had a low of 46 and it was crazy. 

I'm curious, do continual lows do damage the way high blood sugar will do over time?

I love sandwiches so I bought the Julain Bakery bread with 1g carb a slice.  Had a couple of pieces yesterday, with bacon and tomato and lots of mayo.  Was good, but the grainy texture of the bread, meh. 

Supposedly the last day of glorious 70s and then back into the 80s next week.

skb

Grammabear - Some times I can push my reading glasses above my forehead and keep searching for them everywhere. I guess we've all BTDT. That's ageing or stress I guess.

Kris - I've not come across anything much written about persistent hypoglycemia. A quick Google search mentions neurological damage and dementia. Makes sense, as we know that the brain is the one human organ / part that must have some glucose at all times. Depriving it of that nutrient is bound to have these kinds of complications. Even short term hypo complications like shakiness, dizziness or coma have their roots in the brain / neurological setup.

We don't get LC bread here, so we make our own. It is very grainy and crumbly because of the lack of binding agents.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

bigskygal

94 this mostly cloudy morning, 94 at bedtime last night.

Yesterdays high was 55°. Overnight low forecast for tonight is 38°. Snow in the forecast again for Wed, but that is so far away anything can happen.

Yesterday I had planned on an errand run. Got in my car, turned the key and nothing but a click. I guess I didn't shut the door all the way the last time I drove and it drained the battery. Called AAA and the guy asked me if it tried to turn over or click. I said yes, it clicked, followed by a four letter word! He laughed so hard and so long then said he really needed that today. I said, glad to help. Mechanic came about an hour later and got it running. It sat in garage for 2 hours running to charge it up. It had to stay on to charge so no errands yesterday. Was nervous when I went out today but it started just fine.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

Noticed a funny thing about Barbara's post. In para 2 there is no space between the 'period' and 'it' and the s/w thinks it is a valid website TLD (extension) being that ".it" is a valid extension. I'm deliberately not correcting it as I'm reporting this over at SMF.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Tamagno

228 this morning.

The big shorter term with persistent lows is a decreasing awareness of them. Besides which over time I notice they're increasingly debilitating and leave me napping and exhausted for a couple of hours after.

The last couple of years I've gone to considerable lengths to declutter and arrange my living spaces in such fashion that everything's in a rational and usable place and hopefully easy to keep track of in order to minimize how often I have those moments of regrettable forgetfulness. Sadly, however, while I routinely maintain my computers by clearing caches and memory, etc., I've yet to find some way of doing that with my brain, which I find is largely full of appalling and useless clutter, while my thought processes struggle to retrieve information. It's apparently a losing battle...

Definitely a turn to cold here overnight with daily highs only in the 50s now and lows in the low 30s.

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Sweety

108 today morning.

I had one bad meal last week and it took me four days to come back to my normal numbers. Sometimes due to festival season some foods and sweets cannot be avoided. But I try to be strict with the intake.
Diabetic ?

Grammabear

118 this morning.

When I have a hypo one day I can be assured that I will likely have another within 24-48 hours IF I don't make a very concentrated effort to avoid that.  Am I always successful?  Absolutely not.  I have found however that if I can avoid wheat based products as much as is possible in our western world, I seem to do better.

Tamagno - Decluttering the brain for me is an effort in futility.  I have found that I do better when I am not tired, but sometimes that doesn't happen.  For example, yesterday I had an appointment for a hearing aid checkup for the audiologist to evauluate the HA performance as it is under warranty.  Turns out my suspicions were true and the HA is in need of repair already.  She sent it into factory right away and 'maybe' I will get it back in 7-10 business days.  In the meantime I have a "loaner" from her office for which I am extremely grateful.  After that appointment we went to the grocery store.  By the time we got home, the both of us were really tired.  I thought what should we have for supper?  Ah ha ~  Crack slaw of course.  So yesterday was the day for repeated hypos  one after another.

Does anyone have any information on whole grain hot cereal whether it is "bad" for a non diabetic?  I know what it does to me and I don't eat it period.  But my husband was raised on it and sees no harm in indulging himself.  I literally cannot find anything on the internet that says the high carbs in it are bad for non diabetics.  I should add that he suffers from AMD although he has none of the risk factors.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

Grammabear

Quote from: Sweety on October 05, 2019, 07:08:13 AM108 today morning.

I had one bad meal last week and it took me four days to come back to my normal numbers. Sometimes due to festival season some foods and sweets cannot be avoided. But I try to be strict with the intake.

Sweety - I am surprised it took you four days to come back to your normal numbers.  I know nothing about pre diabetes, so I don't mean to be critical of your numbers.  Yes, it is hard sometimes to avoid sweets and other things.  I don't remember how it was you came to realize you should try to eat differently.  Can you refresh my memory?  I am trying to convince my husband to follow a better eating habit.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021