You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2019

Started by skb, December 26, 2018, 04:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walkerwally1

93 this morning.  So far we are having a nice Fall and the temp. is quite comfortable.  It looks like for the next few days it will continue.
Barbara, I have done that before and it is nice to have the AAA available but they usually take a while to show up.  I keep a charger handy so I can charge the battery if I need to and it also will jump start the car.  Once started, as long as the battery is OK and the alternator is charging, driving to town would charge it back to normal.
Grammabear, I stay away from all cereal because of the effect on my bg but it is apparently good for a non diabetic and whole grain would be best.  One of the problems with a lot of cereals is that there is so much added sugar.  It's always a good idea to read the label and check the ingredients.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

Wally - It is my husband (who is non diabetic) and he eats hot cereal that he makes in the morning every day.  He is recently diagnosed with AMD (age related macular degeneration) and we're looking to clean up his diet a little.  Otherwise his only discretion is a daily serving of ice cream.  His plate generally for a regular meal contains over half vegetables and a regular size serving of protein.  He is 6 ft, 170 lbs, takes no medicine of any kind and is 74 yrs.  Hard for me to convince him that a lifetime of eating hot cereal may not be good for him.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

auntiekris

109 after bedtime high of 172.

Thanks SKB.  Unfortunately, I'm definitely getting  more used to the lows than I had previously.  Need to be more vigilant for sure.

I mentioned to my doctor about my mom, and how she's said that she just seems more forgetful these days (she is 76) and the doc basically said, if she's aware that she's forgetting small things then she is fine.  It's when they don't realize that they're forgetting stuff,  then there is a problem. 

Grammabear, I'm sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis.

Tomorrow I'm tearing myself away from taxes to go play in a Petanque tournament.  After not being on the courts for weeks, we'll see how it goes.

Hitting the 80's today apparently. 

bigskygal

96 this drizzly morning, 97 at bedtime last night.

52° was the high yesterday. It is 50° now and that is the predicted high. Don't think it is going any higher. Overnight prediction is 33°. The snow is still in the forecast for Wed, but Sunday and Monday look like nice sunny days.

Wally, I've had AAA since 1984 when I married my second hubby. He was not mechanical at all so it really helped us. First hubby was a car junkie and could fix anything that was wrong. Not worth keeping just for that though. Since I'm retired,I don't care if I have to wait an hour for AAA to come. Once when I was up in town, I locked myself out of my car. They were there in 20 minutes, more operators available I guess.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

Quote from: skb on October 04, 2019, 11:01:12 PMNoticed a funny thing about Barbara's post. In para 2 there is no space between the 'period' and 'it' and the s/w thinks it is a valid website TLD (extension) being that ".it" is a valid extension. I'm deliberately not correcting it as I'm reporting this over at SMF.

They say, it  is intended behavior. So I've edited the post now.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

skb

Quote from: Grammabear on October 05, 2019, 07:18:05 AMDoes anyone have any information on whole grain hot cereal whether it is "bad" for a non diabetic?  I know what it does to me and I don't eat it period.  But my husband was raised on it and sees no harm in indulging himself.  I literally cannot find anything on the internet that says the high carbs in it are bad for non diabetics.  I should add that he suffers from AMD although he has none of the risk factors.

I admit that I am biased against carbs, especially the fast acting ones.

I sincerely believe that glycolysis has many mitochondrial byproducts that are harmful to the cellular structure.  Higher BG is an additional challenge for the diabetics.

Over at our last forum, we had a good discussion on methylglyoxal. Based on that I had written this. Maybe it will help you understand what is going on inside.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Tamagno

180 this morning.

Seems that nearly every "diabetic" diet I see around recommends whole grains, but they're virtually all high carb.

My mother had AMD and was diabetic. The progression of AMD was fairly slow, and didn't respond to any dietary adjustments. It's frustrating, but there just doesn't seem to be much by way of effective treatments for that, although there are a couple of different forms of AMD plus varying degrees of severity so it may depend on the actual diagnosis.

I've discovered that Apple's latest iOS allows Safari to make fonts larger or smaller. Works great and is a big help!

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

112 this morning.

skb - Thank you for the link to the paper you wrote about glucotoxity.

Tamagno - Was your Mother T1 or T2?  I ask because both my parents were T2 and yet here I am with T1.  My younger sister is a T2, I don't think my younger brother has ever been tested.  Sad indeed that there is no treatment for AMD for people who desire to take good care of themselves.

It is just 50 degrees here this morning and the rest of this week looks to be sunny and maybe a high of 66 deg.  So obviously Fall season is here for sure.  Trying to decide if I want to turn on the heat yet.  It feels damp and cold in the house, especially in the evening when we're sitting around.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

97 this morning.  Not cold enough to turn on the heat here yet but all it takes in to turn the thermostat on.  We are going to be in the 09s for a while with overnight lows in the 60s.
At my last eye exam the doctor saw a slight bit of AMD which she saw as normal from aging but she is an advocate of the eye vitamins like in the Bausch & Lomb Presser Vision supplement developed from the AREDS study.  I don't know how effective the supplement is but even though they are a bit pricey I thought it would be worth trying.  Certainly not a cure but maybe helping to slow it down a bit more.
Grammabear, I did understand that you were talking about your husband.  I don't see anything wrong with a non-diabetic having a whole grain cereal like oatmeal.  I think it is something a diabetic should stay away from because it causes too high of a bg rise.  OTOH when you say cereal it could have meant any of the huge varieties of boxed cereals that have so much sugar in them that they are horrible for even non-diabetics. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

102 this blue sky morning, 100 at bedtime last night.

High yesterday was 51°. Right now it is 52° heading for a high of 63°. Kind of doubt it, but maybe. Overnight low forecast 34°.

My late DH suffered from AMD and was functionally blind the last year of his life. It was very frustrating for him as his favorite hobbies were reading and watching old movies on TV.

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

Tamagno

188 this morning.

Grammabear, my mom was likely t2 (rampant on her side of the family) although she always used insulin. Of course, back then they didn't even have glucometers and any testing was via a stick dipped in urine, with treatment equally primitive by modern standards,so diagnoses from that generation remain suspect.

A very surprising 65 this morning which is lovely. Unfortunately, it also looks like it'll be a rainy week.

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

93 this morning.

Tamagno - Strange how we remember that a particular person or one side of the family had diabetes.  My Dad came from a family of 5 children and to the best of my knowledge, all 5 had diabetes to one degree or another and all were heavy people.

Brrr - It is getting to be sweater weather 'inside' the house because this morning it is 48 deg F outside.   :(
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

80 this morning.  It's cool here this morning at 49° but heading to 90° later.
Grilled vegies with some shrimp and steak chunks on the Traeger yesterday, really good.
No one that I know of had diabetes in my family so it was a surprise when I was diagnosed. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023

auntiekris

189 this morning after a low of 53 after my tournament. 

Heating up here and apparently they're already talking about high winds and fire advisory for later in the week.

bigskygal

107 this partly cloudy morning, 109 at bedtime last night.

55° was the high yesterday. It is 59° right now supposedly going up to 63° but I kind of doubt it. Overnight forecast 45° Wed night is supposed to be 18° better get a new heater for my pump house tomorrow.

There were a couple of diabetics on my dad's side of the family he wasn't one. My mom developed diabetes in her early 60's, she was adopted so nothing known about her side of the family. I'm thinking of doing the Ancestry DNA test...