You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2019

Started by skb, December 26, 2018, 04:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walkerwally1

103 this morning.  Overnight was a bit higher but not by much at 27° and yesterday's high was 62°.  Looking at a high today of 73° and as hard as it may be to believe they are predicting that we will be at 80° Sunday. 
Winds have died down a lot by this morning however another fire broke out last night near Santa Rosa North of Los Angeles and quickly exploded and is at 8000 + acres now.  A more remote area where not many homes are but there are avocado farms (gulp) that are threatened. 
I ended up not having the surgery after all.  The area is kind of large, about the size of a quarter, and because it in on my shin the skin is so tight here it would need a skin graft.  The doctor believes that it can be removed with application of a prescription cream that is applied for a month so I am doing that and back in two months for a follow-up.  I'll be quite pleased if this fixes it.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

105 this cold clear morning.

32° was the high yesterday. Predicted high is 42° but it is only 22° now so I doubt the 42 will happen. Overnight prediction 23°.

Good luck with the cream Wally. I hope it works well for you.

Hmmm, wonder where Tamagno is? He is usually here way earlier than I am. Hope all is well.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Tamagno

148 this morning.

Sorry I couldn't post yesterday; we managed to have our own blackout the result of high winds, in the middle of the night Thursday. Power, phone and cable were all out until late yesterday. While I'm pretty well prepared, it took ages to get wood stoves running, etc. Of course it all absolutely wrecked my schedule of eating and so forth. I'm embarrassed to say that I found it all more stressful than I realized and finally went to bed feeling completely unwell. At least things seem back to normal this morning. I think if I lived in California, Wally, I'd be out of my mind...

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

113 this morning.

Being without power does upset one's whole routine.  We have become dependent on the modern conveniences and it is hard to switch back to the old timey way of doing things.  You are lucky you have wood stoves to keep warm.  When our power was out, on the coldest day of the year this past January, the only thing we had going for us was the fact we have a working fireplace.  Otherwise we would have froze - quite literally.  Our main concern at that point was that the water pipes would freeze.  Glad you are back online Tamagno.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

89 this morning.  It is warming up with a high of 70° yesterday and heading to around 75° today.  Sunday is predicted to have a high of 80° so shorts and T-shirt weather again !   :D
Glad you are OK Tamagno.  Yeah, a power outage is very disrupting.  I am glad that here we are not subject to having our power cut off for safety reasons but I know some people that are and it has been for a few days each time.  Some people have tried to use generators without having them set up properly as a backup and using extension cords without the proper disconnects and a few homes have caught fire and burned down s a result.  Unless it is properly installed and permitted the insurance companies will NOT cover the damage or loss.  It is not a do-it-yourself project.
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

104 this partly cloudy morning.

38° was the high yesterday. Today's forecast is 48°, overnight 26°.It is 30° now but I doubt it will get to 48°. It would be nice though.

Glad you are OK Tamagno. It is hard when the power goes out, I have natural gas so my stove and fireplace still work so heat isn't a problem. The problem is my well, the pump runs on electricity so I am out of water. So I have gallons of water stored just in case.

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

Tamagno

High this morning.

I can see emergency generators being a problem out there, Wally. I looked into them a fair bit and quickly discovered the significant installation problems. Unless you're already using propane, not likely to be cheap or easy to use or install. I've got battery back ups all around, but they're pretty limited. There's no easy solution, far as I can tell.

My least favorite day of the year, when we change to winter time. Makes for a long day, plus it'll be dark by 5pm. With temperatures having dropped considerably it also means extra chores burning wood; emptying ashes, starting stoves first thing in the morning and getting wood in the house. Hard wood gets heavier every year, it seems.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

189 this morning after a low of 40 at 1:30 a.m.  :(

It is 33 and snow in the forecast here. Not impressed with the forecast.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

90 this morning.  It is warming up here as predicted with a high of 75° yesterday and expected to be around 80° today and for the rest of the week.  I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.  The time change is not pleasant for me either.  Some states are contemplating going on DST permanently and I would not mind that but it would need congress to make it happen. 
Tamagno, backup generators are not a problem if the generator is designed as a backup and installed properly.  You are right that propane is expensive.  When I lived on the mountain we had no power from the grid up there so lived on solar power with a generator backup.  At one time we had a propane generator and it was costly to run.  We eventually got a 20KW diesel generator and had it set to come on automatically when the battery level got to a set level.  Worked quite well.  When someone is on the grid and has a backup generator it needs to have the proper connector so that when the power comes back on the generator is automatically disconnected to prevent feed back.  The thing causing the biggest problem for some around California is using portable generators and putting them in the garage then when they catch fire the house burns down.  It has happened on several occasions.
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023

bigskygal

103 this partly cloudy morning.

42° ended up being the high yesterday. It is 41° now, forecast is 49° with overnight low forecast of 32°. Again, I don't think it will get that high especially with the cloud cover.

I too really dislike the time change. I wish they would do away with it altogether.

Tamagno

152 this morning.

Wally, that diesel generator sounds like a real workhorse. Likely a bit pricey for me to buy and definitely beyond my wrenching skills to maintain.

Have to keep reminding myself it's November in Connecticut and these morning temperatures below freezing are to be expected. I guess I'll get used to it, but I sure don't like it.

Grammabear

124 this morning.

I agree with the rest in that I don't much like the time change.  Don't care for the darkness that happens so much earlier or for the blustery winds along with the cold, damp feeling that comes with them.  The older I get, the less I like the cold weather.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

88 this morning.  I'm not a fan of the cold either but here it usually doesn't get real cold until after the first of the year.  Yesterday we had a high of 80° and today and every day this week it is predicted to be 81°.  Cooling a bit next week but still in the 70s so really quite nice.  I don't envy those of you having to deal with much colder weather.
Yeah Tamagno that generator was for different use than a home standby generator.  We needed it to be able to run the house and also charge a large bank of batteries at the same time when there was not enough sunlight to do the job.  A home standby generator that will serve quite well when there is a power outage is available for $3,000 to $5,000 including the interconnect but then installation adds to the cost.  There used to be a problem with power outages here about 5 years ago but the power company upgraded their equipment and now it has been quite reliable. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023

bigskygal

97 this cloudy morning.

49° was the high yesterday. Forecast for today is 50° with overnight forecast of 33°. At least it is warming up a bit...

Tamagno

153 this morning.

A better start to today with everything going smoothly (at least so far).

That's due in no small part to having finally tamed wifi problems yesterday. I'd put in a new Netgear Orbi system awhile back that went nuts after it's most recent firmware update and was no longer in any way reliable. Switching back to my old Apple Airport with a satellite solved everything very simply and well and my whole network is once again working as it should.

Wally, it's the installation cost of a whole house generator that kills the deal here as it'd easily double the cost. It's still a possibility but I'm not yet convinced.

Plus, my wife is going back to work today so I've got the joint to myself for once and will enjoy the quiet!