You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2019

Started by skb, December 26, 2018, 04:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skb

Happy that you for your Pump/CGM sorted out.

I've met lots of diabetics because of my blog. I've helped many of them take charge and better BG control.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Grammabear

119 this morning.

It is interesting to hear of your experience with other people who have diabetes or other conditions like breast cancer.  In our town, they do a lot of fund raising for breast cancer and everyone seems to know someone else who has had it or their family member has had it.  Not sure why there isn't much said about diabetes though.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

100 this morning.  The chance of rain keeps going up and now it is 60% that we will get rain here Wednesday.  We could certainly use it.
Tamagno, glad you got it sorted out.  Modern technology is quite a benefit most of the time but it can cause headaches at times too.
I think part of the reason people don't talk about diabetes is that they are sure it's their fault if they get it.  We are told that it is because of our lifestyle and while that may be true, at least in part, it carries a stigma.  The other reason I think is denial.  If I don't acknowledge that I am diabetic then it doesn't exist.  A couple of people I know that do have diabetes, like my nieces husband don't want to hear anything  about how to help control it.  I don't even talk about it anymore when around them.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

109 this drizzly morning.

48° was the high yesterday. Forecast for today is 49° with a good chance of rain (raining right now), overnight 40°. It is 40° now, I think the 49° is being overly generous.

You may be right Wally I think there is a lot of guilt put on diabetics that isn't for other diseases. When I got my breast cancer dx, no dr told me to lose weight or exercise more to fix it...

Glad you got your equipment fixed Tamagno.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

Another 130 today. The price we pay for the cheat days.

Most of the diabetics that I have met listed "hereditary causes" as the number 1 reason for their diabetes. Change of lifestyle remains a challenge and a scary prospect for people, especially in India, where low carb in itself is very difficult considering that most people are vegetarians.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Tamagno

212 this morning.

I firmly believe that there are all manner of politics that tend to influence public perception of diseases of all sorts. In talking with a physician friend last evening I discovered (just anecdotally) that the two most common complaints for GPs are anxiety and diabetes. Interestingly, therapeutic protocols for both remain open to question.

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

96 this morning.

I don't know how it is in other parts of the country, but in the area where I live there are all manner of advertising on television for drugs that treat various diseases.  Every night it seems while we watch television, the commercials advertise a new drug for a disease I never heard of.  They also continually advertise new drugs for treatment of type 2 diabetes.  No one has ever mentioned or advertised a low or lower carb way of eating as a treatment method.  It is always a drug that is advertised.  Is it this way in your part of the country/world too?
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

91 this morning.  It still looks like there is a chance for rain Wednesday but only in the morning so it is less than predicted earlier.
Grammabear, the simple truth is that there is no money in promoting lifestyle changes.  There are some promotions for Keto nowadays as a way to lose weight from companies that make low carb items but it is for weight loss and there is never a mention of bg control. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

97 this partly cloudy morning.

The high yesterday was 43°, it rained overnight. Forecast for today 51° with overnight of 38°.

Grammabear, the meds ads are all over the TV here too. Very annoying and some bordering on inappropriate. What gets me is when they rattle off all the potential bad side effects the meds could have.

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

Grammabear

There must be a huge markup for all these medicines that are advertised.  How else would the companies that make them come out on top so their profit margin is big?

I have had people recently tell me that they cannot afford to eat healthy instead choosing fast food because it is convenient.  I don't get it.  I would rather change my eating habit than take another pill.

skb - Is this kind of advertising of medicines also done in India?
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

skb

No. Just for things like aspirin or pain balms etc.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Tamagno

151 this morning.

Allowing drugs and legal services to advertise everywhere was a mistake. It's amazing to watch what's now permissible on airways (and what's not).

Got it into my head to make my own crackers and pub cheese to serve at Thanksgiving. Should be interesting...

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

103 this morning.

Making your own crackers and cheese sounds awesome Tamagno.  Are you going to 'experiment' a time or two before the big event?
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

104 this morning.  There is still a chance of rain tomorrow so it is a wait and see but it would be nice. 
Crackers and cheese sound good.  There is a recipe in the recipe section here that may be worth trying but I found that there are lots of recipes on line if you do a Google search.  Sounds like it would be fun.
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023

bigskygal

101 this rainy morning.

52° was the high yesterday. Forecast for today is 45° with overnight of 29°and possible snow. With my sore ribs, I don't relish shoveling snow!