You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2019

Started by skb, December 26, 2018, 04:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grammabear

146 this morning.

Weather here is 44 deg F this morning and very foggy and hazy looking.  I don't expect to see the sun today.

bigskygal - Yep, print is getting smaller for me also.  My husband has an appointment with the optometrist today and we're wondering just how much new glasses will cost him too.

wally - My younger son once worked as a DJ while he was attending college.  He did indeed work in a studio with no windows and he said he often felt a bit foolish reading the weather forecast when 50% of the time it might well be wrong.  I guess looking out the window still has its benefits.

Tamagno - I have mixed feelings about the G6.  So far the insertion process is simplified BUT the applicator is sort of bulky and cannot be recycled which disturbs me.  The accuracy for me with this sensor is almost spot on.  Most times when I check my blood sugar the Dexcom is only 4-5 points different and sometimes it is exactly right.  I do like the touch screen receiver which is new to me.  It fits into my jean pocket just fine. The receiver seems to have a signal loss problem if you leave the room and don't carry the receiver with you.  Worth the effort it takes to get one of these devices though.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

97 this morning.  Well, I feel pretty stupid after railing about how bad a job the weather guys were doing.  I just realized that I had brought up the weather for Tacoma, Washington where my brother lives.  I have that location in my favorites and clicked on it by mistake.   :(
Weather here remains not too bad with mostly sun and temps around 60°.  I still think looking out the window tells you a lot.
I had my cataract surgery and lens implants in 2007 and since then my eyesight has changed very little.  There is a slight difference over time but I can still use some of the older glasses in a pinch and there is not a lot of difference.  I still have 20/20 vision for distance and using my glasses I can read very small print.   
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

124 this cold morning. 18° when I got up. Don't know where the 124 came from, but it is what it is.

Yesterday's high was 41°. Today's forecast is 35° with overnight of 21°.

Off to the Ophthalmologist in a bit. I didn't get new glasses last year as the rx was not much different from the previous year and I can still wear those glasses. But this year I think I am getting new ones.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Tamagno

175 this morning.

Warm again this morning at nearly 50 until tonight when we're back down in the 20s with snow. Plenty of rain yesterday, so I'm glad it wasn't cold then.

Grammabear, I'm glad you're mostly liking the G6. That big applicator concerns me some too, but I'll have to wait to find out. No idea just when I'll be getting the upgrade - I've been working on it sporadically for nearly three years.

As far as vision goes, I use any number of tricks to help, vis, adjusting font sizes, etc. I'm finding the dark mode in the latest iOS upgrade helpful too. None of it helps much when reading food nutrition labels at the grocery, though.

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

113 this morning.

It is 'brrrr' cold here at 11 deg F this morning.  No wonder the inside of the window looks like frost but isn't really.

Tamagno - I tried about 18 months to get the G6 system, right after FDA approved it.  The last time I asked my GP about the paperwork, she asked someone new to look into it and then just 3 months later it was delivered.  If you have the X2 pump (which I don't have) you could hook up to the Basal IQ system which is most helpful.  I have a friend who was a Animas pump user and had to switch over to a different pump.  She chose the Tandem X2 and now she has the Basal IQ and really likes it.

I will be glad when cataract surgery is over so I don't have to worry about it anymore.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

97 again this morning.  Overnight low here was 34° so just a little bit above freezing but heading to a high of 60°. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

113 this chilly morning. 20° when I got up.

The high yesterday was 39°. Todays forecast is 40° with overnight of 28°. It is only 30° right now and the clouds are coming in so I don't know it=f it will make 40°.

Well, good news/bad news from the Ophthalmologist. The good news is there is no sign of diabetic retinopathy and only faint evidence of cataracts (he said years before they might become a problem) all good news. My eyes have changed enough to need new glasses and that is the bad news...$699 for the frames and all the add ons I picked. I get progressive lenses with transition and anti reflective tints. I used to get separate sunglasses for outside but I really like the transition lenses in my regular glasses so I'm protected all the time and don't have to worry about forgetting sunglasses. It has been 3 years since I bought new glasses so I guess it is time. I don't have optical coverage so this is my Christmas present to myself. Fortunately Medicare covers the eye exam due to the diabetes.

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

Grammabear

Quote from: bigskygal on December 10, 2019, 01:34:10 PM113 this chilly morning. 20° when I got up.

The high yesterday was 39°. Todays forecast is 40° with overnight of 28°. It is only 30° right now and the clouds are coming in so I don't know it=f it will make 40°.

Well, good news/bad news from the Ophthalmologist. The good news is there is no sign of diabetic retinopathy and only faint evidence of cataracts (he said years before they might become a problem) all good news. My eyes have changed enough to need new glasses and that is the bad news...$699 for the frames and all the add ons I picked. I get progressive lenses with transition and anti reflective tints. I used to get separate sunglasses for outside but I really like the transition lenses in my regular glasses so I'm protected all the time and don't have to worry about forgetting sunglasses. It has been 3 years since I bought new glasses so I guess it is time. I don't have optical coverage so this is my Christmas present to myself. Fortunately Medicare covers the eye exam due to the diabetes

It is a 'shock' at the register when you go to pay for new eyeglasses isn't it?  I think you will be pleased with the transition lenses as my husband has that type.  When he is outside puttering in the garden, he doesn't have to worry about having sun glasses. Best wishes to you and your new spectacles.  :)

A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

Tamagno

165 this morning.

As predicted, winter's back with cold and snow (the latter not horrible at about 3" so far).

Grammabear, my G6 hassles are strictly Medicare and private insurance driven. I figure they'll all get resolved eventually.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

90 (meter) 91 (G6) this morning.

So far it appears that I can trust the G6 system.  Previous systems were not this accurate and I have been with Dexcom since 2007.  I should add that this sensor appears accurate, I've read on facebook that not all sensors are alike.  Time will tell.

Weather is 16 deg F today and it definitely feels like winter.  Brrr......

A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

106 this morning.  Weather here is cool but not cold and the sun is prominent so not bad.
I have vision insurance that helps a little bit with the cost of glasses form the eye doctor but it is still expensive.  The markup on frames is beyond any reason and I am sure this is where the eye doctor makes the most money.  I have in the past just gotten the prescription after my exam and gone elsewhere for glasses and saved a ton of money.  The unfortunate thing is that there have not been any other places in this town that have glasses and it was a 150 mile round trip to get to an alternative.  Since the new Walmart opened up they do have an optical department so I may try it. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023

bigskygal

118 this snow dusted morning.

39° was the high yesterday. Today's forecast is 39° with overnight of 21°. Tiny little spits of snow every once in a while. Snow was in the forecast for today and tomorrow also.

Grammabear, I have had transition lenses for a long time and really like them! Wally, my frames were only $129, some I looked at were way over $200. I don't need some designer's name on my glasses. I am happy with the ones I picked. The most expensive add on was the progressive lenses at $155.50 each lens. I don't usually have to get new glasses each year as my eyes have been slow to change, which is good, so these should last me 2-3 years.

Tamagno

224 this morning.

I don't use prescription glasses, but my wife gets her frames at Costco. I'd imagine Walmart, et al would be comparable.

By a curious chain of events, I bought individual herbs for my wife's herbal teas at a local health food store instead of getting the usual grocery fare. For what it's worth, she says the difference in flavor is dramatic. I hear that traffic in counterfeit spices (?!?) is a huge business and this would appear to support the idea. Exactly how you can tell is beyond me except for flavor.

Grammabear

171 (meter) 169 (G6) this morning.

Tamagno - What herbs are best for tea?  My husband loves tea and I would like to buy fresh ones for him to try.  I also like tea, but primarily I drink coffee.  If I picked a favorite herbal tea, I think it would be peppermint.

bigskygal - I'm glad you enjoy your transition lenses.  The eye doctor that diagnosed my cataracts felt it was quite important to avoid the glare of sunshine while working outside - which is something I have not always done. 
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

103 this morning.  Weather here remains in the mid 60s and no rain in sight for a few days at least.  We may see some rain closer to Christmas but that is too far out to be accurate and if it does it will probably be too warm to snow.
I have one pupil that will not change.  It will not dilate or contract.  I had it checked out by an ophthalmologist when I was about 35 years old and it is just because of a nerve becoming detached.  Apparently not that rare and no fix for it so I need to wear dark glasses any time I go outside.  I have used transition lenses for several years and they work quite well.  They are not good for driving because you are inside the car and the sun can't change them but I get along just fine with regular sunglasses for driving. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023