You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2019

Started by skb, December 26, 2018, 04:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamagno

121 this morning.

My GP, who does surgical procedures most of the day, uses plain Vaseline as well. I like the liquid bandage and cotton gloves idea and will get some next time I'm out. Ive got all sorts of lotions including two different kinds of O'Keefes and I switch them around often during the day, but none seem to have lasting effects. Might be better with the addition of gloves to help stop more damage.

Quite a bit warmer today, but a fair bit of rain...

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

167 this morning.

I think many people have cracked thumbs or super dry hands at the wintertime.  I feel like I have one of every kind of hand cream that is available.  I switch off but never tried the liquid bandage.  Thank you Barb for your good suggestions.

Just a note and my personal opinion regarding silicone pans when used for the egg muffins - - - they don't work well.  When you attempt to line the muffin cups with the strip of bacon, the slippery sides make it impossible for the bacon to stand up semi-straight.  When the muffins come out of the oven, everything has blended together.  Silicone is really good for other muffins, but not so much for egg muffins.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

98 this morning.  It looks like it is going to be warming up a bit for the next few days.  No rain but it is going to be windy. 
I forgot but when I was working and outside in the cold I used to have a bigger problem with cracked skin around my fingers and thumbs and liquid bandage was a life saver.  I haven't had that be a problem after moving to town and I think the cold must have something to do with it.  It doesn't seem to be the humidity as it is most dry here in the summer. 
Grammabear, I see what recipe you are using for the egg muffins.  I never tried to line the muffin cup with bacon.  If I used bacon I would cook it first and break it into pieces and add it.  Works both ways but I like my bacon crispy so I guess that is why I chose that.  I actually like to use ham instead of bacon but you can really use anything. 
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

119 this snowing morning, 115 at bedtime last night.

It has been lightly snowing all day. Temp is 19°, overnight prediction 6°. Lots more snow still in forecast. 🙁❄️

Begin rant...sorry. When I picked up my mail on Friday, there was a letter form my Oncologist's office. They have me scheduled for another MRI on Mar 26! They scheduled it for early morning w/out checking with me. I don't make early morning appointments in the Winter it is too risky to drive.

I don't understand why another one so soon. Last one was Jan 17 this year. I don't feel bad, no pain anywhere, my appetite is good, all systems work fine, I sleep great and have no problems meeting my exercise goals. Yeah, my liver enzymes were up, but they have been up and down since 2005 when they were first tested here in MT.

Next week I see the Gastroenterologist, they sent me a form to fill out with all my "symptoms" ??? They want a list of procedures I had..Duh, look in their own records, it is all there! And I have already given the hospital group my history of surgeries, twice! 😡

I am so sick of the whole bunch of them!!

End rant

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Tamagno

167 this morning.

BigSkyGal, I suspect some of what you mention is a universal attribute of oncologists; at Yale/New Haven, they also seem to expect that you'll hop to whatever, whenever they want. As for medical records, don't get me started...

Thanks for the tips regarding bacon and silicon pans, Wally and Grammabear.

Skinwise, I ordered cotton gloves from Amazon yesterday. I tried surgical gloves I have on hand which work, but are uncomfortable as they're tight and don't "breath" at all. Still have to get the liquid bandage, but can likely find that locally.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

128 this morning.

Thank you Wally for the tips on bacon and other things to use with the egg muffin.  It always helps to get another opinion as I seem to have no "natural" ability to improvise.  :)

bigskygal - I'm sorry that the dr office is aggravating you.  Maybe you can call them and say you need to 'reschedule' your appt and then make it at a time that is convenient for your schedule.  Some younger people who schedule appts don't understand the reluctance of older people for driving in the winter months.  Good luck to you anyways.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

98 this morning.  It looks like it will be a bit warmer this week but windy.  Gosh, in two weeks we will be setting our clocks forward for daylight savings.  I am looking forward to longer days.
Grammabear, I am always looking at ways to modify a recipe.  Just something I enjoy doing.  Sometimes it comes out better and sometimes it doesn't but it is always interesting to try.
Barbara, I would be on the phone right away and reschedule to suit my needs.  I can't abide with someone dictating when they think I should just accept their idea of when I should be there.  That really would upset me.   
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

114 this snowing morning, 118 at bedtime last night.

Snowed all day yesterday only stopped briefly in the evening. Has been snowing all day so far and weather reports say it will continue all day and night. I am truly snowed in. Temp is 12°F overnight predicted 3°. At least there appears to be a break in the snow for Tuesday.

I called the dr first thing this morning to get the appointment moved later. Dr is out until Wed so she will call me back with new time then. With all the snow here, I may end up having to cancel the Gastroenterologist appointment.

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

Tamagno

182 this morning.

I'm with you, Wally, and always modify recipes to suit.

We lost power yesterday mid-afternoon when persistent winds felled a tree across our road and went through the power lines. As there are only three of us living here, we were unsure when it'd be repaired, so hunkered down for being without electricity. Fortunately, we're prepared for this sort of thing, and got the wood stoves blazing, battery and oil lamps out, etc. Dinner got cooked over hot coals and we spent the evening playing Scrabble. I was glad and a bit surprised to see work crews arrive sometime after midnight.

It crossed my mind to wonder what will happen should fossil fuels be banned how exactly will emergency trucks (planes, helicopters and boats) be powered?

It'll take me awhile today to get things back in order, but I'm just grateful the outage was short lived!

Grammabear

161 this morning.

Wally, I'm with you in that sometimes when I make something, I know even before I taste it, that it needs to be changed to suit my family.  I guess maybe that is why there is so many recipes for the same types of dish.  If you like looking around a website for new ideas, there is a nice website called "Simply So Healthy.com" that has all manner of low carb recipes.  Some are not so low carb (in my opinion) but still good for some folks.

Barb - You are really getting snow, has it accumulated a lot?  I saw on the world news last evening that there is a new winter storm coming from the west coast.  I would like Mother Nature to send nice Spring weather now.  I am done with snow.

Tamagno - It is a good thing you are prepared for power outages.  We don't have wood stoves, but we have a fireplace.  During our last power outage we also cooked our supper over hot coals using a cast iron skillet.  They are kind of heavy but oh such good flavor in the food they cook.  Took me a while to get it clean once we had power again though.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

89 this morning.  Well, we hit 70° yesterday and it was 51° at 5:30 AM.  Sorry to those of you having to deal with cold and snow but I am liking it a lot. 
Barbara, I don't blame you for wanting to wait until conditions improve.  A few days cant be a problem and driving in ice and snow is not worth it.
When I lived up on the mountain we were totally on solar with batteries and generator so power outages were not a problem.  Here in town we haven't had a problem but it could always happen.  We do have a wood stove and fireplace though.  The hard part would be in the summer when it is over 100° and no cooler.
Grammabear, thanks for the link.  I will have to check it out.  I have found that a lot of times a recipe can be modified to make it low carb. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023

bigskygal

105 this partly sunny morning, 106 at bedtime last night.

A break in the weather today, thank goodness! Over a foot of new snow overnight. I am well and truly snowed in! A good 4' of snow on my front deck. Snow in forecast for Wed and Thur. ☹️ Talked to gastro office and I have until tomorrow afternoon to reschedule. It would be 3 weeks out, but the plus is I would see a dr not a nurse practitioner. Leaning greatly toward doing that.

Weather was so bad yesterday the garbage company cancelled service for today. Fine by me, I couldn't get my garbage up to the road anyway.

Grammabear, thanks for the link!

View out kitchen door:

skb

It looks beautiful. Hard to bear the cold, but looks beautiful.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Grammabear

bigskygal - I would say you have way more than your share of "that cold white stuff" and too bad you couldn't ship it to somebody else.  Stay safe and warm.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

Tamagno

106 this morning.

Great photo, BigSkyGal, but way too much!

So, the cotton gloves I ordered arrived yesterday. Sadly, you can't use a touch screen with them, but I'm looking forward to giving them a further try today while I'm doing chores.

Yet colder today with temperatures not getting out of the teens. There is snow scheduled starting late tonight (why does it seem always to snow overnight?) but nowhere near Montana extremes.

Wally, a great advantage of California is the possibility of solar power. There are a couple of homes up here with solar panels on the roof, but there's not enough sun to use them exclusively, I'm sure.