You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2019

Started by skb, December 26, 2018, 04:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigskygal

112 this drizzly morning, 107 nat bedtime last night.

No snow just light rain this morning. But snow still in forecast for tomorrow starting overnight.

I have to go to the DMV next month to renew my driver's license. Our little local office is nothing like the ones in CA though. Thank goodness!!

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Tamagno

146 this morning.

My new chest freezer arrived yesterday at 7am marking,I believe, a new record for timely delivery from Home Depot.

When I first moved to Connecticut, the DMV chores could be done at any number mobile stations set up all around plus AAA. Now that our taxes have gone through the roof, there's only one location that's an hour drive. If you're fortunate enough to find a parking space there, you can plan on about a two-hour wait. I doubt if many compare to the nightmare of the DMV in Manhattan, however...

Yet another very busy day today. Can't wait for next week when things should get back to normal and I can get on with things besides appointments all over the place.

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

95 this morning.

Tamagno - So glad you have your new freezer in place.  As for appointments all over the place, I always look at my calendar and if there are any 'free' days, I consider that a blessing.  I enjoy days when I can do whatever needs to be done w/o working around an appointment.

Skb - Is the spice garam marsala considered to be strictly an Indian spice?  I have seen recipes recently that have this spice and it is not one I can find in our local stores.  It sounds most interesting.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

109 this morning.  Weather is pretty nice here with temps around 70° but it turns windy in the afternoon and will do the same today.  It's normal for here this time of year but I still don't like the wind.
Our local DMV in town is only 3 miles down the road and you can make an appointment but the soonest appointment was over a month away so I opted for a drive to another office nearer to my old house.  I did have to wait for about 45 min but it was not bad and the people there were not nearly as stressed as in a busier office.  Well worth the drive I think.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

skb

Quote from: Grammabear on April 11, 2019, 09:48:19 AMSkb - Is the spice garam marsala considered to be strictly an Indian spice?  I have seen recipes recently that have this spice and it is not one I can find in our local stores.  It sounds most interesting.

Yes it is. Literally garam means hot and masala means powdered mix. It is basically a mix of many different spices like White and black pepper corns, cloves, cinnamon, mace, black and green cardamom, bayleaf, cumin, coriander etc. Sometimes onion and garlic are also added. The mix depends on manufacturer and consumer tastes. BTW, we make our own. I don't trust trust the food companies and a masala is very easy to adulterate.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

bigskygal

Argh, 132 this partly cloudy morning, 102 at bedtime last night. I guess my tumor is playing with my bg.

No snow, actually that is OK. by me. High today was 50° overnight prediction 29°, that at least will freeze up the mud for a while. I may try to get out early and run some errands.

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

Tamagno

120 this morning.

I like SKB's explanation of garam masala, but you might be hard pressed finding the spices locally if you make your own. If you like Indian cuisine though, it's worth doing enough experimenting with spice mixtures to make to your own taste. If you order them, I've found Penzy spices pretty good. I made some ketchup yesterday to which I added garam masala with good results.

Off for CAT scan today - be glad when it's over...

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

skb

This link turned up many options. Maybe you can try a small pack first.

Garam Masala - Amazon
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Grammabear

92 this morning.

Tamagno - You are brave to make your own spices, but I guess that is the only way I can find out if we like it at our house.

skb - Thank you for thinking about using Amazon for trying this spice.  I suspect that your home stores there would have a more authentic flavor.  I will give this a go.  Is this spice used in many Indian dishes?
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

86 this morning.  Well, 70° yesterday for our high and that looks like the lowest for the rest of the month.  Heading to highs in the 80° range for the rest of April and then it will be higher. 
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

skb

Quote from: Grammabear on April 12, 2019, 08:51:46 AMskb - Thank you for thinking about using Amazon for trying this spice.  I suspect that your home stores there would have a more authentic flavor.  I will give this a go.  Is this spice used in many Indian dishes?

Like I said, we make our own. A mixture of spices is a very personal thing. Every region in India has their own culinary flavours. Yes, garam masala is used a lot, but more specifically for gravies only. I've also seen different masalas for different dishes. You might have to try out a few and see what you like. One suggestion, start small.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

bigskygal

129 this mostly clear morning, 108 at bedtime last night.

High today was 51° overnight prediction 32°. Daytime temps ps the next few days predicted high 40's so a bit of a cool down on the way.

I have some Tandoori Masala that I like a lot for curries. Not sure how it differs from Garam Masala.

skb

The tandoor is an earthen barbecue of olden times, but still used. So, tandoori means anything that is grilled. The tandoori masala is specifically used for marinates to be made for grilled meats or veggies. Some of the ingredients may be common, but a garam masala would have many more ingredients in the mixture and is used mostly in curries or gravies.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Tamagno

168 this morning.

Thanks for the link,SKB - I'd enjoy trying a couple of those. With Indian cuisine,though, it seems I'm always wanting a lot of side dishes if only for dipping, like raitas, chutneys, daals, etc. Also any tandoori dishes I make seen to miss the real oven that makes the great charring of the meat. Next thing you know, I want fresh naan or puri, good rice and plenty of beer to go with it and it's become a substantial project. Sadly, there are no good Indian restaurants anywhere near me, so whatever I do has to be done at home. A good project for the hot weather to come...

bigskygal

Quote from: skb on April 12, 2019, 10:36:16 PMThe tandoor is an earthen barbecue of olden times, but still used. So, tandoori means anything that is grilled. The tandoori masala is specifically used for marinates to be made for grilled meats or veggies. Some of the ingredients may be common, but a garam masala would have many more ingredients in the mixture and is used mostly in curries or gravies.

I have always had a fascination with spices. My first husband was Chinese the second Hungarian. I  bought many different spices from Penzeys until they sent out a newsletter that President Trump should resign. That kind of political hatred has no business in business and I will never buy from them again. Spice Sage has lots of amazing spices available. I will check out their Garam Masala.