You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2019

Started by skb, December 26, 2018, 04:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamagno

146 this morning.

Wally, I've got an old gas grill I haven't used for a couple of years that I'm thinking of turning into charcoal/wood smoker. I'd like to try slow cooking some of these things.

Don't know of anything that makes it possible to accurately predict my glucose, Grammabear, short of not eating anything. (In fact, I've sometimes suspected that merely walking down the bread aisle at the grocery causes a spike...)
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

113 this morning.

We found a "bargain" at our grocery store on Friday.  They had a whole roasting chicken for $2.99 and the bird weighed just short of 5 pounds.  So yesterday I roasted the chicken in the oven and it turned out pretty good.  I rarely buy a whole chicken because meat here has become plenty expensive.

Lol Tamagno - I agree with your sentiments about walking down the bread aisle.  It seems if I just take a smell in the store bakery department, my bg starts on a huge spike.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

86 this morning.  We got to 81° yesterday but it is going to be a lot cooler today and it is quite windy.  Very slight chance of some rain as a front passes through.  Tomorrow is supposed to be much nicer so good for the BBQ !
Tamagno, that sounds like a good project.  The nice thing about the Traeger is that it is able to maintain a constant temperature.  It adds fuel as needed and has a fan to move the heat and smoke around.  I used to have a charcoal smoker and it was quite a chore to keep the heat going as you had to constantly add charcoal and the temp was regulated by a water pan that had to be constantly refilled.  It did a good job but needed constant attendance.  Still it would be interesting to see what you can come up with.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

108 this cloudy morning, 111 at bedtime last night.

The rain finally showed up at about noon. A big thunderstorm passed over around 2PM and it has been lightly raining ever since. It is predicted to stop later this evening.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

Quote from: Tamagno on May 26, 2019, 05:53:36 AMDon't know of anything that makes it possible to accurately predict my glucose, Grammabear, short of not eating anything. (In fact, I've sometimes suspected that merely walking down the bread aisle at the grocery causes a spike...)

LOL John. I quite understand the sentiment.
I'm facing a very tough time business wise and I've completely stopped caring about my numbers. First I need to set my financial situation in order and everything else will follow. 
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Tamagno

100 this morning.

Few things more troubling than financial travail, SKB! For what it's worth, my impression is that you're exceptionally resourceful, hard working and smart. Personally, I'm betting you come out of it all somehow in better shape than you may imagine.

Wally, I've looked at lots of the store-bought smokers and come away largely unimpressed until you get up into the Traeger range, etc. I'd be tempted to make one from a 55-gallon drum, but I can't weld so that's out. My old Webber gas grill is pretty well rusted out in all the gas bits, but otherwise intact so might make the conversion without too much trouble. We'll see...

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

bigskygal

Quote from: skb on May 26, 2019, 11:22:36 PMLOL John. I quite understand the sentiment.
I'm facing a very tough time business wise and I've completely stopped caring about my numbers. First I need to set my financial situation in order and everything else will follow. 

I understand the refocus...I've been basically going through he!! for months from all these health issues, most of which turned out to be non existent. My numbers have kind of gone off the reservation a bit as I was worried about all the other things and not paying as much attention to #'s.

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

walkerwally1

91 this morning.  The wind has stopped and it is warming up.  Heading to a nice 73° today and then into the 90s for the rest of the week.  Still quite nice for the end of May and June.  Today is Memorial day in the USA where we honor our fallen and it is also the start of the Summer BBQ season so grills are firing up all over the land. 
Tamagno, converting your Webber to a smoker sounds like a fun project.  The smoker I had used a pan on the bottom for the charcoal and above that was a pan of water to regulate the heat.  That kept it from getting too hot but the charcoal and water had to be replenished throughout the day which was kind of a pain but it worked.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

137 this morning.

I understand how stress of any kind can influence our bg numbers.  Last Fall my GP started me on a new medication and she assured me it was not a steroid.  Now, some 8-9 months later I find out that the medicine is "steroid-like" in nature.  Looks like I need a talk with the GP.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

bigskygal

100 this cloudy morning, 92 at bedtime last night.

Breezy today and really cloudy but no rain in the forecast. My lilacs are starting to bloom some sun would help them along.  :)

Tamagno

157 this morning.

Home alone today; how I'll enjoy it! A great day to catch up on some things I'd put off from last week while my wife was home on vacation.

I'm trying to figure good ways to get in the things you mention, Wally. Metal fabrication is something I can do in a small way, but it's not easy. Making the smoker so both charcoal and water can easily be replenished is the biggest thing. I figure a couple extra vents to control air flow can be done with plumbing fittings.

walkerwally1

101 this morning.  This was the coolest Memorial Day I remember for this area.  We only got to 73° and last year we were at 94° so quite a difference.  That is going to change and we are looking at probably around 85° today and then into the 90s.
Tamagno, it sounds like you have a fun project.  Did burgers and brats yesterday on the Traeger and both came out quite nice. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

Grammabear

108 this morning.

We had so much rain yesterday that our internet connection was faulty after the storm.  Had to call the technician to have remote control assistance today.  These computers are sure a fussy bunch.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

bigskygal

109 this lightly cloudy morning, 97 at bedtime last night.

It was 62° for a high yesterday. The clouds were so thick/heavy that it took out my satellite dish for a while.  Right now it is pretty sunny and mostly blue sky. It is nice!

Tamagno

123 this morning.

Cool enough yesterday to feel cold when combined with a day-long rain. Today promises better.

Seem to have gotten into a clumsy phase culminating in throwing out my lower back while making my bed, for heavens sake. These times when it seems I'm constantly dropping things always give me pause when considering my various more ambitious plans (guess my idea about going bungee jumping had best be delayed...)