You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2019

Started by skb, December 26, 2018, 04:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grammabear

98 this morning.

Grandson is holding his own so to speak.  The doctors said the shunt is working well and grandson is able to keep food in his stomach.  He is granted the privilege of ordering something to eat when he is hungry.  Yesterday he ordered plain egg noodles and was able to enjoy them.  The small things in life suddenly become quite important.

We are enjoying tomatoes from our garden also Tamagno.  My hubby planted some yellow cherry tomatoes and some yellow pear tomatoes.  Both are of the size where you can just pop one in your mouth and enjoy.  This is the first year for these types of tomatoes.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

108 this morning.  Today is supposed to be the hottest at 110° and then it should come down a bit but it will stay over 100° for the next few days at least.  Still not near as bad as it can get but August is usually the hottest month.
Home grown tomatoes are definitely tastier than store bought but we don't eat enough here to make it worth the effort to grow them.   
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

Wally - How do you ever tolerate temperatures of 110 deg F?  I've never been to your part of the country, but that hot sounds ghastly.  We had a heat index of 112 deg last week and that made doing anything outside really hard.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

Well Grammabear, one thing is that you do tend to acclimatize to the higher temps, the humidity is low, right now it's 105° and the humidity is 11%, but the main thing is that we don't go outside unless necessary.  The cooler works quite well and it is comfortable in the house.  We have seen it as high as 125° here in the summer and that is really hot.  We are not that far form Death Valley, about an hour and a half drive, where the highest temp. in the world has been recorded. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

102 this morning, 95 at bedtime last night.

Continued prayers for you and your family Grammabear. Glad to hear grandson is holding his own.

High yesterday ended up at 82°. It s 78° now, humidity 23% a little higher than normal. Forecast high is 86° but again, don't think it will get there.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Grammabear

Wally - Thank you for the explanation about your heat and humidity.  Someone tried telling me that the low humidity made the high temperatures tolerable.  Sounds like you folks have to use common sense when temperatures rise just like we do.

Bigskygal - Grandson has been sitting in the lounge chair in his ICU cubicle.  I am told he ordered macaroni and cheese for lunch and kept it down.  So he is holding his own.  Thank you for the positive thoughts and prayers.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

skb

Kathy,

Hope your Grandson recovers soon. Best wishes for that.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Tamagno

215 this morning.

Grammabear, I'm so glad your grandson is doing well! (Summer is such a lousy time of year for a kid to be cooped up in a hospital.)

I think the worst hot weather I ever experienced was back in the late 60s in Manhattan. At the time, there was much less a/c around - not even in a lot of office buildings and schools and certainly not in buses and subways. All the asphalt and concrete in the streets absorbed heat and reflected it back up to apartments, etc. which were also not widely equipped with a/c. Add to that that smoking was still widely accepted in offices, hospitals, schools (I recall voice teachers and other faculty at the Juilliard smoking in class) and all public transport plus restaurants and movie theaters, and it could be pretty nasty. Somehow, people survived.

Other friends of mine have put in over 100 tomato plants this year; so we're going to be getting quite a lot beyond our own.
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

86 this morning.

Tamagno - Wherever does someone put in a 100 tomato plants?  Are they commercial gardeners?  One year when we first bought our house and the garden was bigger than it is presently, we were foolish and planted 20 tomato plants.  Oh My!!!  We had tomatoes all over the place and I ended up making tomato catsup, tomato sauce, freezing tomatoes (for chili) and whatever else we could possibly think of making with them.  Needless to say we never made that mistake again.  :)

I made a low carb chocolate zucchini cake yesterday and while it was ok, I would not make that particular recipe again.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

86 this morning.  We were just 1 degree short of the predicted 110° at 109° yesterday.  It is supposed to be 109° today also and then, maybe, cooling down a bit. 

Grammabear, I have posted this before but it is relevant to our area :

A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

bigskygal

91 this morning, 99 at bedtime last night.

Another 80° day. Fire warning out for dry thunderstorms tonight. There are already 2 fires burning in the state, fortunately not near me. I'd like it to stay that way too!

The other day when I was driving home from shopping, there was a strange noise in my engine compartment. I thought maybe a belt had broken or something. I shut off the fan and all seemed OK. A couple days later, I was going to the PO and the air smelled terrible. When I got home I looked under the hood and found a mouse nest between the was he fluid container and battery. Pulled it all out and then I realized the smell was probably dead mouse! Most likely ground up mouse in the fan! The soonest I can get in to the mechanic is next week Wed. I am going to take a chance and drive to the store tomorrow to stock up until then. Just driving the garbage up to the road today gave me a headache. Put the Fabreze in the car for that trip.

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

Tamagno

180 this morning.

BigSkyGal, I bet I've spent more on having mouse damage repaired than anything else - they just love chewing up wires in the engine compartment. The only thing I've found effective against them is traps, unfortunately.

Grammabear, I've got three friends who've got access to a huge garden plot and put in tons of vegetables this year.  Of course, many they'll give away, but they enjoy doing it and are good at maintaining it.

Now, I understand not only "dry heat," Wally, but also a bit more of the California mentality - great photo!

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

101 this morning.

We live in a rural area and when we mow our grass, we see all manner of rodents running in the grass to get away from the mowers.  They are very destructive.  Barbara I hope your problem with the car can be fixed easily.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

85 this morning.  We hit 108° yesterday so one whole degree cooler than the day before.  It is supposed to be cooling down but we will stat above 100° for a while.
When we lived on the mountain the rodents were a real problem.  I had to repair chewed through wiring several times.  For some reason pack rats loved to make nests under the hoods of any car that sat outside for a while without being driven.  For that reason it was common for people to leave the hood open on any vehicle parked outside, then the darn rats would not use it as a home.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

bigskygal

129 this cloudy morning, 82 at bedtime last night.

I had a pick up truck that was parked outside and it had lots of mouse damages. Sold it to a teen neighbor and he fixed it up. My car has always been garaged so I didn't expect the mice too get to it, but oh well... It has driven fine the couple of times I used it after the mouse, so I am going to take my chances and shop today. I've got icon all around the car inn the garage and the shop said get Bar Bait and put it in the engine compartment. I'll get some of that today. I'm nervous about driving it, but I need to shop...