You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2016

Started by skb, March 04, 2016, 09:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocky

@CCD, your numbers are pretty good, considering that you were scared to post them.

I was at 96 today morning  ;D
My life is based on a true story.

Carbcrazydog

@Rocky- That is because I joined this group when after i was diagnosed with gestational diabetes with my first born. I remained a pre diabetic and was trending towards diabetic zone. My father was a diabetic at 35 and passed away through uncontrolled diabetes + smoking complications (heart attack) at 52.

When i say my numbers are bad, it means they are more and more towards becoming a diabetic than controlled. Given my family history, need to be very careful.

I am always worried about dying early, given my kids are just toddlers.

Grammabear

128 this morning and it is 11 deg F (-12 C).  My numbers are better but could still stand improvement.  Snowing again here.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

93 (5.15) this morning.  Honestly I'm not sure why we put emphasis on fasting bg, maybe it's because Doctors do.  In the 23 years since I was diagnosed I have had several Doctors and they all were pretty much the same.  They looked at fasting bg and A1c and made all of their decisions based on that.  I have taken a print out of my daily testing to my doctors more than once and it was ignored.  One of the reasons I fired my last Doctor.  On my lab report it shows the normal range for fasting glucose is 82-115, and that it for non-diabetics.  When I first decided to take charge of my blood sugar control and forget the doctor my goal was to try and stay below 140 mg/dl at all times as that was where organ damage was supposed to start.  After a while I found that I could stay below 120 at all times so that became my new goal.  I think that is more important, and bg after meals is probably the most telling.  Anyway I don't think it's worth beating yourself up over, just try to do the best you can and that works for me.
It looks like a chance of significant rain and maybe snow here this Thursday and Friday.  Not anything like it is and will be further to the North and coast to coast.   The Great Lakes to the North East are looking at major cold and snow. 
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Shanny

I completely agree, Wally. And furthermore, there's no reason diabetics shouldn't aspire to non-diabetic numbers. We know how to control our blood sugar levels - it makes no sense at all to add some imaginary buffer zone, just because we've already been diagnosed wish diabetes. Whether we can do it with diet only, or using diet and meds combined, we can control our blood sugar, and we need to DO IT if we want to live long healthy lives free of complications.

Grammabear

I agree with Wally and Shanny.  What annoys me to no end is to have a doctor tell me that I should eat more carbs so that my A1C will be 7% or just below.  Don't they realize that it is those of us with diabetes that suffer from uncontrolled numbers?  The doctor who originally diagnosed me told me that the pain I had in my  feet was nerves that were in the process of dying, and once they died that I would not have pain ever again.  What a dolt  because he lied.  I have neuropathy because of uncontrolled diabetes in the beginning and I will probably always have it to some degree.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

bigskygal

74 (4.1) this mostly cloudy morning, 67 (3.71) at bedtime last night.

I agree too about the over emphasis on fbg/A1c by doctors. Though I don't often test around meals any more, unless it is a new food.  My goal is to always be below 120. I have tested so thoroughly around the foods I eat that I know they are safe.  I do fasting and bedtime just as a snapshot of my day.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

I think this discussion on FBG / A1c deserves its own space away from the fasting thread.

Personally, for me, the fasting number is important because it indicates my glycogen status. That is because I understand my own system very well. It may not be relevant to someone else. I think of A1c only as a very general indicator of BG profile as I think there are a number of other factors that influence that number, probably some of these are yet unknown.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Carbcrazydog

111 again today.

I agree with skb. My post meal numbers are usually around 140 and i am trying to eat to keep them under 120. But my fasting number has a direct relationship over how i have been eating since the past few days. If i eat low(er) carb, at the right time, exercise enough etc, they usually start trending down. Higher fasting number is a wake up call that i need to jump back on the wagon ASAP.

I am super happy. My mom suddenly planned a visit and is coming on Saturday. Will be home for 15 days. I am on a 2 week vacation and my only plans are to listen to her constant lecture over how awesome my kids are and i should not endlessly complain over any hard time they give me. And that our generation has so less patience etc etc. :) I love her. Having lost my dad early, every minute i can spend with her and see her happy means so much more.

walkerwally1

83 (4.60) this morning.  Weather gurus all saying 100% chance of rain tomorrow and possibly snow Friday.  Thankfully I have an appointment with the Endocrinologist today, before the storm, as it's a 75 mile drive from here.  Maybe he will have some insight as to what is responsible for my electrolyte imbalance.
Thanks for moving my yesterdays post SKB, I realized that I should have started a new post later.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

bigskygal

71 (3.93) this cold morning, 74 (4.1) at bedtime last night.

Winter advisory for snow overnight into tomorrow morning, then cold for Friday high of 10°F (-12.22) and night time low of -11°F (-23.88).  Sure glad I did my grocery shopping yesterday!!

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

I woke up a little early and made tea for myself and the Mrs. In the process, I forgot to take the morning fasting reading.  :P
John, What news from your end ?
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

rocky

Another 92 today.
@tamagno how are you ?
@ccd, i too joined this group and gained a lot of knowledge & control on my numbers. I never forget to thank these people.  ;D
My life is based on a true story.

Carbcrazydog

110 today morning.

A very close friend is visiting from Australia for 2 days and then my mom will be here.

Rocky- I too have made so many friends here! There was a time a couple of years back, when i was expecting my second child, and everyone here would post their fasting number and ask 'is the baby here yet?'. It felt like a global event and i felt so blessed knowing so many people praying and wishing my family the best. It's pretty festive when people all around the globe are waiting for a baby to arrive. Felt no less than a celebrity ;)

Waiting to hear from Tamagno.