You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2016

Started by skb, March 04, 2016, 09:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamagno

183 this morning.

Bleeding has stopped and pain is already lessening, praise God!

My infectious disease doc prescribed 10 days of amoxicillin, 500 mgs x 2/day and my very excellent GP is keeping an eye on things (well, not literally).

Haven't heard back yet from my equally excellent neurologist on my query re: port for IVIG or pain meds (pain keeps getting worse - won't take opiates, but maybe gabapentin or Dilantin) so I guess I'll hear from him Monday.

Anyway, I'm thrilled that things, um, "south of the border," seem to be healing so quickly!

In re: allergies. What's going on? Most everyone everywhere is having problems. The part of my brain assigned to conspiracy theories is on overtime. "Big Pharma" friend thinks it's on account of excessively low humidity exacerbating inflammation of epithelial tissue...

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

walkerwally1

87 (4.82) this morning.  My head is clearing and I feel better so I think I am past it.   ~hlu~   Today looks like a repeat of yesterday, windy and cooler, we only reached 60° (15.5) yesterday and that looks like it will run the same for the next few days.
@Tamagno, really glad to hear things are improving. 
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

84 (4.65) on another drizzly morning, 88 (4.88) at bedtime last night.

Glad to hear you are feeling better Tamagno.  And you too Wally!

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Kelly

152 this morning.

starsign

We went out for chinese food last evening, today my partner was at 128  ??? We ate all low carb avoided the rice. What happened ?  ~huh~
Partner of a Diabetic T2

Shanny

Most probably the sauces, and quite possibly breading on many of the foods. Even if meats aren't visibly breaded, a procedure called velveting is often used to prevent drying out when cooked at the high heat usually needed for asian cooking. I've done it myself in years past. This means a marinade containing cornstarch is used before being fried & added to the stir-fry.

And even if you manage to slip past one Chinese restaurant, it's no guarantee the next one will be safe . . . they all have different recipes for their sauces, etc., and there isn't much way of knowing how much sugar or other carbs is used in any given dish.

Shanny

FYI: Here's a blurb on velveting, just in case any of you were unfamiliar with the trick: http://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how-to/velveting-meat-best-kept-chinese-restaurant-secret-0164737/

Tamagno

265 this morning - I guess the antibiotic hasn't kicked in yet.

Kelly, I'm afraid Chinese restaurants are out of the picture for most us us. You could always try cooking it yourself with somewhat modified methods.

Actually, dining out for me is very hazardous except for breakfast or lunch when I can always order eggs over easy and sausages or bacon. No toast or home fries! I'm celiac and eat gluten free and (while I think I'm the only one here who believes this) not even the tiniest bit of dairy as I'm convinced it contributes to high glucose. I use ghee for butter (homemade) and nice, fatty canned coconut milk for coffee and srambled eggs.

As you may have observed, since my body is under pretty much constant stress, I'm rarely able to achieve normal glucose and so I do everything I possibly can to control it.

Including the fact that my daily carb intake is always under 35 grams a day. I even bolus for the tiny bit of grape juice and bread I have at communion but can still count on a 100 point jump in glucose that'll take the next 12 hours to correct.

In light of everything, skipping the Chinese joints doesn't seem like such a big deal. Oddly enough the two places I sometimes crave are Burger King and Pizza Hut. Go figure...

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

walkerwally1

98 (5.43) this morning.  Interesting that recently my fasting is my highest number of the day.  The rest of the day I am in my 80's, yesterday before lunch it was 69 (3.82) and I haven't been that low for quite a while.  The liver is a fickle little guy.
Chinese restaurants are pretty much out of the picture for me also.  There is one dish at the local place that is shrimp and onions and bell pepper in a butter sauce that I do well with and that is that.   
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

88 (4.88) this cloudy windy morning, 83 (4.6) at bedtime last night.

Having been married to a Chinese man for 16 years (parted in '83) I am well aware of this technique.  It works really well, just not for diabetics.  I used cornstarch, soy sauce and water for my marinade.  In the past 4 + years as a diabetic, I have done this maybe 3 times without a problem.  But it was a very small serving each time.

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

Kelly

151 this morning.

@Tamagno, I think that reply is meant for starsign, but I appreciate the info!!  I would have thought that just by avoiding the rice that a Chinese restaurant would be a fairly safe place to eat.  So much to learn!

skb

121 this morning, but I know where that came from.
Since I now have lard/bacon grease, we tried some French fries yesterday just just to get that taste, first hand. We've heard so much about it, never tried it. Boy it was worth it.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

bigskygal

So your bg was Ok with potatoes fried in lard?? What was your serving size?  I have some pork fat in the freezer I may have to render./size]

skb

Starsign, Chinese food is a tricky business. I've had similar trouble everytime I've tried eating Chinese outside. So we now have it only at home. Cauliflower rice & chicken cooked in sauce of choice but made at home. That I'm able to tolerate.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

skb

Quote from: bigskygal on May 23, 2016, 12:30:13 AM
So your bg was Ok with potatoes fried in lard?? What was your serving size?  I have some pork fat in the freezer I may have to render./size]

About 40-50 gms twice during the day. Once with breakfast and again pre-dinner. Hope I don't shoot up tomorrow. My liver usually kicks in late. 
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club