You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Sad story of uncontrolled diabetes

Started by Rhiannon, April 05, 2016, 03:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhiannon

I am a regular bingo player and go most Sundays to a local bingo game for one of the high schools.  The game is staffed by several regular workers, including two adult brothers.  I suspect they may have had a tough early life, and one of them has several problems (hard of hearing, probably some learning difficulties, and diabetes).  Sad to say, I learned that this brother just had one of his legs amputated to the hip due to complications from diabetes.  I am certain that he didn't have anyone preparing meals for him, or making sure he ate properly.  It was very sad to learn just how bad his condition had become.  These bingo sessions were also one of his few social outlets. 

Shanny

These are the posts it's hard to 'like', but it's a real testament to what happens when diabetes is ignored. I'm sorry for your loss, Rhiannon.  :'(

Rhiannon

Thanks Shanny.  Yes, it is a grim reminder that poor control of diabetes has serious consequences.   :(

patdart

My friend who burned both of her feet while asleep in her lounge chair I mentioned a year or so ago and says her fasting is usually above 200 and ignores her eating told me that she had an ulcer under her big toe while I was in rehab and is being treated by a podiatrist by having it dug out every 2 weeks but is healing.  Because her feet are so numb she was totally unaware of it.

I fear for her future.

While I was in rehab, I was amazed how the diabetics ate at meals.  None of them paid any attention to what they ate.  The nurse checked their blood sugar prior to meals and gave them a shot if it was over 200 prior to eating.  My tongue was raw from biting it.  All I could do was eat the way I do and try to be an example.  It made me mad at how poorly the population treats this disease because of the ignorance all around us.

skb

Quote from: patdart on April 07, 2016, 02:34:46 PM
While I was in rehab, I was amazed how the diabetics ate at meals.  None of them paid any attention to what they ate.  The nurse checked their blood sugar prior to meals and gave them a shot if it was over 200 prior to eating.  My tongue was raw from biting it.  All I could do was eat the way I do and try to be an example.  It made me mad at how poorly the population treats this disease because of the ignorance all around us.

The White Coat Syndrome works in many ways. One way is "It is the truth if the white coat says so". So we really can't blame people who place their trust in the establishment. Yes, I for one, do blame the White coats for not knowing better. It's their job & their field. If they kept an open minded approach, things would be clearer to them
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Tamagno

Or, you find yourself in rehab or hospital and unable to feed yourself or control boluses. I was put in DKA once in the local hospital under those circumstances - I knew it was coming but couldn't communicate and was a wreck by the time they figured it out.
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost