You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2020

Started by skb, December 31, 2019, 10:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamagno

148 this morning.

Wally, the first time I went to L.A. I imagined I didn't need a car; then I got to LAX and thought, gosh, I really need a car. I walked into a car rental joint and was amazed to see you could rent exotics - everything from Corvettes to Lamborghinis (for a price, of course).

Had the first cherry tomatoes from our pots on the deck yesterday. Always seems to be a revelation how great they are!
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

106 this morning.

We were surprised at the natural sweetness of a new variety of little orange cherry tomatoes we tried planting this year.  The flavor of home grown tomatoes far surpasses that of store bought tomatoes.  We are also enjoying fresh green beans and sometimes I like to pick one and eat it raw.

skb - I was surprised at your comment that it takes you four days to return to normal blood glucose readings.  You might think it is different for someone who takes insulin, but sadly it is not.
 For me if I have a really high blood glucose number, it can take 8 hours or more to return to target range and that is with copious amounts of insulin.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

102 this morning.  It looks like we will be around 104-105° for the rest of the week and then we may be up to 111-112° next week.  August in the desert.   ~hot~
Yeah Tamagno, it is really necessary to have a car in Southern California.  Public transportation is not very good and things are really spread out.  Yes, you can rent some very exotic cars but my pockets aren't that deep.   ;D
It would be nice to have a new car for a few days though.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

94 this sunny morning.

Yesterday's high was 79°, today's forecast is 89°/49°. Wally, I would never survived in that kind of heat. I'd have to stay inside an air conditioned house all the time.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

104 again today morning.

Quote from: Grammabear on August 11, 2020, 10:17:59 AMskb - I was surprised at your comment that it takes you four days to return to normal blood glucose readings.  You might think it is different for someone who takes insulin, but sadly it is not.
 For me if I have a really high blood glucose number, it can take 8 hours or more to return to target range and that is with copious amounts of insulin.

Yes it does. Say I was 88 fasting on a particular day. A bad meal will push me to 110+ the next day. If I maintain dietary discipline after that, I will gradually step down to around 88 on the 4th day. That's how it works for me.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Tamagno

48 this morning.

Another hot, humid day today. I'd much rather that than cold snow, however.

Utilities and road crews are still working to clear things up here. My wife's office land line, however remains out of service. Frontier appears completely incompetent to manage those since they took over from AT&T. Once it's fixed I'll switch it over to VOIP.

Wally, I was told the car rental places mostly rent the exotics to movie studios - the Lamborghinis were renting for $2,000/day+ and that's now quite a few years ago.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

Quote from: skb on August 11, 2020, 11:51:36 PM104 again today morning.

Quote from: Grammabear on August 11, 2020, 10:17:59 AMskb - I was surprised at your comment that it takes you four days to return to normal blood glucose readings.  You might think it is different for someone who takes insulin, but sadly it is not.

Yes it does. Say I was 88 fasting on a particular day. A bad meal will push me to 110+ the next day. If I maintain dietary discipline after that, I will gradually step down to around 88 on the 4th day. That's how it works for me.

I guess I was hoping that you guys with Type 2 diabetes might have things a little better with elevated blood glucose.  I can see now that you don't, but thank you for educating me, much appreciated.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

Grammabear

60 this morning ~ then a rebound high of 175, cannot win.

Tamagno - Sorry to see a 48 from you this morning.  Are you feeling better now?  VOIP is what we have now after switching from Verizon.  It normally works much better, however if our internet goes out, so does the phone obviously.  But we have far fewer problems with VOIP than we ever did with Verizon.

A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

96 this morning.  Weather here is just going to be hot at 100° + for the rest of the month and probably into September.
Barbara, I try to get as much done outside in the morning when it is cool and stay inside during the day.  The worse part is going out shopping or errands during the day.  Even though my car has air conditioning when it is sitting in a parking lot it gets really hot inside so it takes a long time to cool down.  It is almost impossible to hold on to the steering wheel because it is so hot so I try to get most done in the morning.  I think it is like living anywhere, you learn to adapt to the conditions.
Our landline here used to be Verizon but it was taken over by Frontier and I can't find anything nice to say about them.  I use my cell phone and have no need for a land line so for me it is not an issue.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

100 this partly cloudy morning.

Yesterday's high was 82°, today's forecast is 76°/44°.

My appetite has really been down lately. I've bought some new spices on Amazon that are helping some. Turmeric Salt and Chicken Salt made by Jada Spices. Both tasty. I also bought a jar of preserved lemons from Morocco. Made some lemon chicken that was good also put a slice in with my scallops when I cooked them. Yum.

My DD is pressuring me to move closer to them. She sends me links to places like Summerlin, NV (no way too hot) even says they'll go in with me on a place. They are looking in warmer climates...I am definitely not! Sigh, I can't even imagine the effort of moving alone at my age now. There is just too much stuff here. Plus my house is paid for, and I get an 80% "low income" senior discount on my property taxes. That's not going to happen in NV or CA. She suggested Oceanside, I can just imagine the cost of living there! MT doesn't even have a sales tax except down by Yellowstone, I guess to get the tourist's $. I just keep saying I'll think about it.

Sorry about TMI...

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

Grammabear

Quote from: bigskygal on August 12, 2020, 04:08:36 PM100 this partly cloudy morning.

Yesterday's high was 82°, today's forecast is 76°/44°.

My appetite has really been down lately. I've bought some new spices on Amazon that are helping some. Turmeric Salt and Chicken Salt made by Jada Spices. Both tasty. I also bought a jar of preserved lemons from Morocco. Made some lemon chicken that was good also put a slice in with my scallops when I cooked them. Yum.

My DD is pressuring me to move closer to them. She sends me links to places like Summerlin, NV (no way too hot) even says they'll go in with me on a place. They are looking in warmer climates...I am definitely not! Sigh, I can't even imagine the effort of moving alone at my age now. There is just too much stuff here. Plus my house is paid for, and I get an 80% "low income" senior discount on my property taxes. That's not going to happen in NV or CA. She suggested Oceanside, I can just imagine the cost of living there! MT doesn't even have a sales tax except down by Yellowstone, I guess to get the tourist's $. I just keep saying I'll think about it.

Sorry about TMI...

Barbara ~ Not TMI, we too get the advice that our place is "too much" to care for, and who knows - maybe they are right.  But we are like you, our place is paid for and moving someplace where there are even 'more' people is NOT what we had/have in mind.

Very glad you shared about Amazon's spices.  Maybe there is a special one you bought that you really love, would love to hear about it.  I think as we age, our taste buds get bored - or at least ours do.

Hope you have a great afternoon.  How's Kitty doing?
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

bigskygal

Kitty is fine, right now he is on the front deck eating his afternoon meal. ~ cat ~

Yep, moving to a big city is not my cup of tea.

I'm really liking the two salts I mentioned above. The Chicken Salt can also be used to make a broth. It was originally developed in Australia, though this one is made here.

I just found another recipe for the preserved lemons. Roasted cauliflower with capers and preserved lemons, looks like a good one as I like capers too. I only have frozen cauliflower right now, next time I shop I'll get a fresh head.

skb

100 today morning.

Quote from: walkerwally1 on August 12, 2020, 10:41:44 AMThe worse part is going out shopping or errands during the day.  Even though my car has air conditioning when it is sitting in a parking lot it gets really hot inside so it takes a long time to cool down.  It is almost impossible to hold on to the steering wheel because it is so hot so I try to get most done in the morning.  I think it is like living anywhere, you learn to adapt to the conditions.

Sounds as if you are talking about India. Right now it is not so bad because of the thick monsoon cloud cover. It's not scorching but it is hot and humid  :'(
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Tamagno

78 this morning.

BigSkyGal, I love chicken salt (I'm using Chook's) right now. I agree with you and Grammabear about not moving - it'd always been my plan, but my mortgage is paid off and the thought of a move is just impossible.

We'd always kept a land line for emergencies, but since Frontier took it over it goes out during power outages (service was just restored yesterday) as well, so there's no point. Might as well switch it over to VOIP also.

Grammabear

88 this morning.

Tamagno - How long were you without power?  It seems like a good long while. Frontier seems to have a problem actually completing work.  They started fixing something that was broken in our neighborhood last September.  Then they left the box open and exposed for eleven months.  I took a picture of it, posted it on Facebook and they were back here within 24 hours putting everything back the way it should have been - guess maybe they were embarrassed.

skb - When do you get a break from the oppressive heat and humidity?
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021