You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2020

Started by skb, December 31, 2019, 10:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walkerwally1

79 this morning. 
Grammabear, good luck and I hope you don't have too much pain post-op and all goes well.

Tamagno, yes, the ssd drives are getting better and cheaper all the time.  The big difference in the one I am using is that it operates on the PCI4 bus and not the SATA like they have been using.  This is new and is on the new motherboard.  The big advantage is that the PCI4 bus is about 10 times faster than SATA.  My M.2 SSD drive is 1T and has my windows operating system only on it.  I still use "spinning disk" drives for storage and other programs.  I do think you are right and as the cost of SSD drives goes down they will dominate.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

110 this partly cloudy morning.

39° was high yesterday. Today's forecast is 42° with 27° overnight. Possible snow tomorrow.

Hope all goes well Kathy and you heal quickly. Sending prayers and good thoughts.

Finally off to the Gastroenterologist...unless he cancels me again...

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Tamagno

119 this morning.

In thinking about Grammabear's procedure and Bigskygal's adventures with her gastroenterologist this morning I'm once again realizing that though hard to maintain, the combined knowledge of various illnesses, doctors and treatments to be found here are an extraordinary resource. Thanks, SKB and all participating.

Wally, it's stunning to know you were able to get a 1T SSD without spending zillions. My first PC had a 20K hard drive and was pricey at the time.
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

skb

Quote from: Tamagno on January 28, 2020, 04:37:39 AMThanks, SKB and all participating.

I sometimes really wish that we had more active membership. I have been having a look at our old forum to compare notes. Though forums are on the decline everywhere, the older established ones, have the comfort of a large membership, which ensures better participation than ours. But they are also down quite a bit. And they have started to heavily bank on irritating Advts for revenue, most of which appear between posts, and many of their Boards are now sponsored. This was something that we had resisted when the suggestion came up.

The second thing is the ".pub" TLD, which is actually supposed to be used by publishing houses. In our ignorance in the early days, we settled for this in the assumption that a Pub suggests a place to hangout and that we'd have  great membership. Some of our old faithfuls did jump ship in the initial stages but gave up within the first year itself. Maybe a shift to a name with ".com" or ".net" would help, but I'm not too sure of that, given the decline in the interest in forums due to popularity of social networking sites. 
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

walkerwally1

79 this morning.  We will have a dominant high over the weekend and our daytime highs are supposed to be 76° Saturday and Sunday and then drop to around 65° Monday.  It should be a T-shirt and shorts weekend.   `8)
SKB, it would be nice if we had a larger membership but I think that you are right that other social media like Facebook have become more popular.  I wonder why we see people join and then just drop out.  For some reason people don't seem to like the format. 
Tamagno, yeah, the price of a solid state drive has come down a lot.  When I originally built this PC I had a 250G SSD and it was twice the cost of the 1T SSD I bought for this build.  I ran HD Tune to benchmark my drives and the 1T M.2 drive ($180) ran a read/write test at 4000 MB/s, The SATA 1T SSD ($88) tested at 507 MB/s and the Seagate 2T spinning disk was 200 MB/s.  The SATA SSD was a definite improvement over the "spinning disk" but the M.2 drive that runs on the new PCIE4 bus is a dramatic boost.  To get those speeds it takes a motherboard and processor that offer PCIE4.   
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

111 this partly cloudy morning.

Don't know what the high ended up being yesterday as I was out and about all afternoon. Forecast for today is 44° for high and 30° for overnight low.

Gastroenterologist appt went OK, things about the same. He ordered an ultrasound of my liver to see if there may be any spots on it that could be cancer. I have an ever so slightly elevated marker for cancer in my bloodwork (have had it for a long time). He also ordered an upper GI endoscopy to make sure there is no bleeding in my esophagus. They are scheduled fir Feb 12 but I won't be able to do the endoscopy then as my friend that drives me is a snow bird and won't be back until late May. Unless they let me sleep off the anesthesia there so I can drive myself, the endoscopy will have to wait.

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

skb

Quote from: walkerwally1 on January 28, 2020, 10:45:27 AMI wonder why we see people join and then just drop out.  For some reason people don't seem to like the format.   

Most of the new members who have joined up in the recent past are spammers and our safety net prevents their spam posts from showing up. They are here to sell their stuff.

The format of a forum and a networking site like FB differ in the sense that we are more topic oriented and organised and FB is timeline oriented. At times I have tinkered with the idea of using our FB page more than we do currently. But there is no way, for instance, of putting all our Fasting posts together.

Why people prefer FB or Twitter over forums beats me. If time spent on a site is any indicator, I don't think that forums are any different from these sites. I think the underlying reason for the addiction is that the responses are person to person rather than subject based.

Some newer types of domain name extensions like ".website" or ".online" have been launched recently and we could get a "diabetesforum.online" last I checked. Should we consider this shift ?
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Tamagno

160 this morning.

SKB, personally, I've been off Facebook for a couple of years now as it's far too time consuming, I dislike reading people's constant virulent political posts plus it's iOS app absolutely eats ones battery. I have occasion to visit quite a few websites so thoroughly littered with ads that it's nearly impossible to see content for the clutter, and find myself grateful for those not so indulgent. While I wish more would join here if only to take advantage of the wisdom and insight, I nevertheless appreciate this being comparatively streamlined. This is the only "social network" I visit. As I see it, most site owners are looking for the best ways to monetize their internet involvement (understandable), that is still something very much finding its way.

The way I use the internet isn't dependent upon site name particularly whether they're .com,.net, etc., but rather upon my impression of reliability based upon thumbnail information seen when making a browser search.

My own commitment to this site is the result of years of following and certainly will continue as long as I'm able. As for tweaks to enhance popularity, I'm not at all sure anyone can make suggestions authoritatively. If I could, it'd be one of the best ways to monetize the net successfully.

Wish I could be more helpful, but by all means I'd say feel free to tweak the site as you see fit and I, for one, will continue my support, meager though it may be.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

skb

I'm not really concerned about monetizing the site, just wondering how to draw more authentic and genuine traffic here.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Grammabear

108 this morning.

My eyes are doing ok, pain is tolerable.  I am extremely light sensitive which is to be expected according to the surgeon's response yesterday.  I learned yesterday that I can use artificial tears frequently as long as they are preservative free.  I know it sounds completely silly, but at times I wear sunglasses inside the house to avoid glare from the snow outside.  Hope all is well with everyone.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

99 this morning.  It still looks like it will be warm on the weekend but as a cold front goes through Monday the daytime temp. will drop about 20°.
Grammabear, glad you are doing OK and hope you recover soon.  Wearing sunglasses inside doesn't sound silly at all to me if you are getting a glare from outside. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

bigskygal

90 this foggy morning.

42° was the high yesterday. Today's forecast is 42° for a high and 29° for an overnight low. No snow in forecast until next Wed.

I"m not on FB or Instagram, but I am on Twitter, though I don't post and only follow about 30 accounts, mostly low carb people, local news stations & newspapers and a few TV shows. I'm perfectly fine with the extension change as I posted in the other thread ab out it.

Grammabear, glad you are doing better than the first time. Hope you heal quickly and have great results.

Tamagno

209 this morning.

Glad you're doing okay, Grammabear. I wear sunglasses indoors many places and most always driving. Just makes you look mysterious.

I think I'm pretty well caught up on chores and can stay in today; good thing as it's shaping up to be the coldest day of the week today.

Grammabear

87 this morning.

Really struggled yesterday.  In addition to 3 prescription eye drops, I also have to use preservative free artificial tears for the dryness.  Seems like that is all I am doing lately is eye drops.

I did manage to fill the cartridge on my insulin pump without additional help, so I guess that is a good thing.

Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

97 this morning.  Weather here is pretty nice for this time of year, especially compared to what some of you are dealing with.  It is warmer here in town compared to when we were up on the mountain.
Grammabear, hope you heal quickly.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024