You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2020

Started by skb, December 31, 2019, 10:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamagno

78 this morning.

Grammabear, I'm usually more concerned about foot sores during the winter when my skin is terribly cracked and dry. I confess I'm also someone who loves going barefoot, but I make sure the joint gets vacuumed every day, so it's always clean.

Sounds very cool, Wally. It'll be interesting to see how your piece for the shower works out. I was curious about printing with metal; I'm guessing that requires especially sophisticated equipment. But, if you can reproduce the small, plastic fittings that seem so often to break off of many things, that would be tremendously useful. Can you get clear plastic filament?

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

111 this morning.

I also enjoy going barefoot, always have.  In recent years however, the padding on my feet has atrophied and now I am walking "bone on floor" which isn't so much fun. 

I did a "google" search for items made on a 3D printer and the results were fascinating including a little doggie wheelchair for an animal who must have suffered some kind of spinal injury.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

74 this morning.  One degree cooler yesterday at 103° and probably the same today.  Still looking for it to be a bit cooler on the weekend but not by much.
Yes, there are clear filaments and a wide variety of colors and materials available.  The  PLA I am using right now is the easiest to print with and others like nylon or ABS are more difficult to use.  The PLA I am using is quite strong for use inside but not very suitable for outdoor use because the sunlight is bad for it. 
My shower door handle came out great.  It has been a long time since I have played around with the CAD program so it took me a while but I got it drawn up and it came out exactly like the old one.  I didn't get a picture of it before I installed it but I will show a picture of the spool holder I made.
Printing with metal is being done with industrial machines but I don't think we will see that for home use any time soon. Here are pictures of my printer, the spool holder and a couple of test items.  The square is a calibration cube and is 20mm on each side, came out very close.  The little boat is an item used as a benchmark and came out quite well.  The spool holder used bearings that press on and the tolerance was surprising to me as they pressed on and hold the thing together.

You cannot view this attachment.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

103 this hazy/smoky morning.

82° was the high yesterday, today's forecast is 82°/46°.

Wow Wally those items look great! I can see how that will be great for making all those little things like your shower door handle. What is the largest size you can make?

Still no Kitty but I did have a skunk again last night.  :(  I'm losing hope and I sure don't want to encourage the skunk...

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

104 this morning.

Wally, great to see your handiwork. I'm sure many items would have ready made CAD drawings on the internet. Maybe, finding an exact match would be a problem, but then you could always tweak the drawing a bit to meet your specs. I can probably think of a time in the near future when companies would also put up CAD drawings for some of their products on online support pages along with the manuals and parts list that etc are currently put up. 
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Tamagno

134 this morning.

Quite a storm we had yesterday afternoon and evening. Some apparent close calls, but we didn't lose power.

This 3D printing is fascinating Wally; the things you made look great. Reminds me a little of early color photocopiers and how tricky they were. I suppose soon the assignation "all-in one" given to printers will include 3D printing.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

110 this morning.

Weather seems to be the top attraction in my area.  So many days of upper 90s with lower 90s for humidity.  You just cannot do much of anything outside except inhale and then return to inside where hopefully it is air conditioned.

Wally - your 3D creations are awesome.  Does it surprise you how relatively easy it is for you to create these items?

Barbara - sorry Kitty has not returned where you can see him.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

86 this morning.  Well, another 1° cooler yesterday at 102° so it is going in the right direction.  Probably going to be around the same today.
Barbara, the print area of this printer is 220mm X 220mm X 250mm tall or about 8.5" X 8.5" X 9.75" so large enough to do a lot and you can make even larger items by making parts of an item and then joining the parts.  One thing to take in consideration is that the bigger an item is the longer it takes to print and it can take several hours to print larger items.  The 20mm cube took about 30 min. It is not uncommon for someone to run a print for over a day. 
SKB, there are thousands of things on the internet that others have designed.  Some are items that are useful or to solve a problem but most are more art inspired figurines and the like.  With the CAD program you can make just about anything you want. 

A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

106 this almost clear blue sky morning.

78° was the high yesterday, pleasantly cool. Today's forecast is 84°/46°.

I think all the dogs running free and kids laughing and shouting outside have made my yard not so safe a place for Kitty. He is old and arthritic and can't move fast to escape. Sadly, I think he has moved on. I'm afraid that it has been the skunk eating the food each night, not Kitty... I'll keep putting food out for a while longer, just no wet food. The last time it was 15 days before he came back and today makes 10 days this time. I'm going to hold out hope a little longer. 

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

skb

90 today morning.

It's raining hard here. In fact as the News reported, Aug has been the wettest month for the entire country in the past 44 years. One good thing is that our lakes are overflowing which means that there will be enough water for the next one year. 
PPP
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Tamagno

107 this morning.

SKB, I'm glad to hear you alls water supplies are replenished. Doubtless a relief!

We're not having your hot weather Grammabear, but generally that sort of thing moves east so we may get it shortly. Temperatures look quite moderate here with light rain today.

Last night we inexplicably lost power at about 8:30 pm prompting the usual flood of thoughts about getting things ready for a long outage. Thankfully, it was back on within a half hour, so I'm grateful for that.

After the last outage I'd gotten to thinking about buying a little camp stove for use in such emergencies and only yesterday ordered one from Amazon. I went for a very simple and lightweight model with just a single burner (it does, however, use either butane or propane) but that'll get stored away with other emergency supplies. At least I'll have it for coffee and reheating leftovers.

Grammabear

93 this morning.

skb - Happy for you folks to have enough rain for the next year.  We are told with our August weather that it is the driest August in quite some time.  Crops are suffering but the weatherman keeps hoping for rain.

Tamagno - the hot weather seems "stuck" over the midwest although the humidity is supposed to be reduced somewhat today.  When we lost power the last time, it was also the coldest day of the year with temperatures well below zero F.  We had to build a fire in the fireplace and use long handled camping equipment to heat some food and water for coffee.

bigskygal - You love kitties so much, have you considered adopting a feline from a rescue organization?
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

103 this morning.  Cooler yesterday at 100° and it is supposed to be the same today and tomorrow and then warming back up starting Monday.  This town used to have a lot of problems with power outages but a few years ago the whole system was upgraded and it has been rare for any interruptions.  That is a good thing.  I am still having some trouble with the internet dropping out but it is apparently caused by so high of a demand with schools operating on line and a lot of people working from home.  It seems to be a problem in many areas. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

bigskygal

109 this hazy morning.

78° was the high yesterday, today's forecast is 84°/46°. It has been a pretty mild Summer here which I don't mind at all.

skb, glad you have your water supply replenished that must be a relief.

Grammabear, I have thought about getting another cat, but when all this Covid stuff is over, I want to be able to go and visit my family in CA and travel a little bit. I don't have anyone to take care of a cat for me. The beauty of Kitty was that he could fend for himself if needs be.

skb

129 today morning due a 'dietary misdemeanor' which will need to be physically corrected today.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club