You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2020

Started by skb, December 31, 2019, 10:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigskygal

107 this partly cloudy morning.

92° was the high yesterday, today's forecast is 91°/51°. It was supposed to be windy but so far it isn't which is fine by me.

I know my DD means well, but it is not making me happy to have this going on. She said they were looking into a retirement place in a warm climate ie Nevada or Oceanside, I guess. She says I could live in the house and they would help me pay for it. Thing is I don't want to live in either of those places. I'm trying not to be blunt about it as I don't want to alienate her. I do like where I am now. Yes it is far from family but that is why airplanes were invented... The weird thing is that they already have my DD's wife's mom living with them. I just don't get the sudden pressure...

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

BSG, Covid has affected mankind in more ways than we can imagine. Maybe your DD is worried about you being alone and far away. I think she means well.

Grammabear, Amazon deliveries were affected because of Covid and possibly still are, but, we do see an improvement in the last couple of weeks.

126 today morning
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

bigskygal

Quote from: skb on September 05, 2020, 11:48:06 PMBSG, Covid has affected mankind in more ways than we can imagine. Maybe your DD is worried about you being alone and far away. I think she means well.

No doubt she means well, but actually the safest place for me to be right now is here.  We have escalating cases, but nothing like CA...I don't know about NV but my guess, I'm much safer here. The risk getting from here to there is more than I am willing to take at this time. She doesn't want me to move now...but in the recent future I'm just not ready yet.

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

Tamagno

112 this morning.

BigSkyGal, I can understand your family's concern, but it would come with innumerable changes in your lifestyle - perhaps she doesn't understand how important things like having Kitty show up, and so forth that would end with such a move. If you're not ready, you're not ready and I'd just make that as clear as possible (obviously nicely - no just telling her to shut up about it which is what I'd do).

Firewood came yesterday (looks decent) and the stacking guy will be here this morning.

I had my wife bring up tools I need to install safety bars on one of my most difficult places and will put those in this morning.

Grammabear, come to think about it, our hot water is quicker with the new heater. Always feels good to have those sorts of things done.

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

110 this morning.

Bigskygal - I guess Tamagno said it the way I would feel.  Perhaps your DD doesn't agree with your lifestyle, but it belongs to you and is important to you.  I would rather live where you do than in the city where she might be living.  I enjoy peace and quiet and Kitty would be important to me also.

We are getting rain today for the first time in over a month.  Just hope it doesn't brew up a storm.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

74 this morning.  Our high yesterday was 110° and it is supposed to be around the same today and tomorrow then Tuesday it drops to 98° and Wednesday 91° That will be nice !  The jet stream is dropping down big time and East of California it is going to be quite cold with even a chance of snow.  That would include Barbara.
Right now there are 22 major fires burning in California and many also in Arizona, Oregon and Nevada.  Cooler weather would help a lot.  I'll post a picture of the fire map.

You cannot view this attachment. 
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

113 this hazy morning.

90° was the high yesterday, today's forecast is 87°/53°. It was chilly enough this morning that my furnace kicked on.

Thanks for your comments re "the move" I appreciate you all so much. I hadn't even put Kitty in the equation, but you guys are right, I wouldn't want to abandon him and I'd miss him terribly. I don't want to move anywhere. It is quiet and peaceful here. The cost of living is much lower than CA for example, we have no sales tax, as a senior/lowish income I get an 80% discount on my property tax. I really couldn't afford to live comfortably in many other places.

Grammabear

Quote from: bigskygal on September 06, 2020, 12:40:51 PM113 this hazy morning.

90° was the high yesterday, today's forecast is 87°/53°. It was chilly enough this morning that my furnace kicked on.

Thanks for your comments re "the move" I appreciate you all so much. I hadn't even put Kitty in the equation, but you guys are right, I wouldn't want to abandon him and I'd miss him terribly. I don't want to move anywhere. It is quiet and peaceful here. The cost of living is much lower than CA for example, we have no sales tax, as a senior/lowish income I get an 80% discount on my property tax. I really couldn't afford to live comfortably in many other places.

I think when you get older, you tend to want to stay 'planted' where you chose - not where someone else chooses for you - unless circumstances prevent you from living independently.  I also would not want to live really close to grandchildren as they can be quite noisy when you're not used to that kind of environment. 

We got rain today about 3/4 inches and that is the first time in over a month or more. 
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

skb

107 today morning.

Woke up to some rain and the sound of thunder.
Wally, that's one too many fires raging through the West. Hope they subside soon before more damage is caused.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Tamagno

85 this morning.

I've known people who move frequently and nearly on a whim (my mother was like that as she aged) and others, like myself who have bought only one house and that's where I live and am not going anyplace. While the cost of living here is nearly as bad as California, when I calculated the cost of moving somewhere cheaper, it actually saves me money to stay here. Younger people should get out of these high tax states while they're still young and can reap the benefits.

Two things I cannot imagine: Living in an RV and living in one of those "tiny houses." (Okay, I also can't imagine living in Alaska, but that's something else entirely.)

You're right, Grammabear, I've just gotten comfortable with my own place.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

82 this morning.

We've bought only one house and I cannot imagine buying another.  We were young when we bought our place and had this 'silly' idea that when we finished fixing the things that needed attention - then we could sit back on the porch and take it easy.  Amazing how foolish one is when you are in your early 20s.  That never happened.  We seldom find time to sit on the porch, but now and again we take our meals outside on the porch.

Since we all live in different parts of the world, what do you like best about the area in which you live?  I guess I would have to say I like the "four seasons" because I can't imagine living where it is constantly hot or constantly cold.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

78 this morning.  We were at the predicted 111° yesterday and it is supposed to be the same today but tomorrow they are predicting 93° and Wednesday 88° so that will be quite nice.  It will warm up a bit from there but not too bad.  The Los Angeles area is seeing extreme heat with a high in some areas 117° to 121° which is an all time record for there.  We are used to that here but they are not.
Yeah SKB, there are a lot of fires right now and at least three more started over the weekend.  One fire was started by a couple doing a "gender reveal" and pyrotechnics started the fire which is now over 7000 acres and several homes in danger.  It is amazing how stupid some people can be.
I was born and raised in the Los Angeles area and spent most of my life there but I am really glad that I don't live there now.  I really enjoy the small town I am living in and being away from the huge crowds.  The few times I have had to go to the LA area I hate it. 
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

101 this windy, dark and powerless morning. Yep, power went out just before 11AM. They are predicting 50 mile/ hour winds for today...I sure hope not!  It just started raining....

I wish I had charged my phone and iPad last night... At least I have heat as I have natural gas, but no water as the well pump is electric. I have lots of water stored away so that won't be a problem. It is going to be a long quiet day if they don't get it fixed soon.

I was born in Wisconsin, my family moved to CA when I was 2ish. I grew up in Oakland, I moved when I got married and then 5 more times all in the Bay Area. My last move was here to MT after DH passed. I like the peace and quiet here and the wide open spaces. I am here to stay.

skb

94 this morning.

I was born and raised in Mumbai though we've changed neighborhoods twice. I love that we are close to the green parts of the city, which of course are also shrinking.

Wally, I read in today's news that the California fires now cover 2 million acres. This is something that happens year after year. I wonder how much of the forest is left standing to be destroyed now.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Tamagno

75 this morning.

Wally, SKB brings up a question I've wondered about, vis, adding up all the millions of acres destroyed by fire in California every year, how much can be left?

I was born in the hills of West Virginia, but lived in cities most all my life until I moved to rural Connecticut. Can't say I've ever lived or worked in any city in the U.S. or Europe that I particularly liked (the closest would be in Hawaii). Here, I like the quiet and solitude - we humans are a treacherous lot and I prefer not having any others too close.