You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2020

Started by skb, December 31, 2019, 10:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grammabear

131 this morning.

I do not know how true it is or maybe it is just advertising, but last night I noticed on one of the car company's television commercials that they claim they are planting so many trees for every car made to help replenish those lost to wildfires in CA.  Even if true, it takes a lifetime to grow a tree to maturity.  So sad.

Barbara - I hope your power has been restored and you are more comfortable now.

Tamagno - I like the way you describe us humans.  I had a lady come to my door over the weekend.  She was 'campaigning' for a seat on the county board.  She did NOT impress me as someone who could make a logical decision because as soon as I opened the main door (we also have a storm door or some call them screen doors) she put her hand on the door handle as though she was going to enter my home without even being invited.   ::)

Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

95 this morning.  We got to 105° yesterday but it is supposed to be cooler with a high of  94° today and 88° tomorrow.  The smoke yesterday was really bad here and it looked like heavy cloud cover but it was smoke.  The sun never really came out and was just an orange ball all day.  Still as bad this morning but the wind is supposed to shift and by this afternoon it will be coming from the East and should clear it out.  That is bad news for the coastal areas as it causes what they call Santa Ana winds that cause much higher temperatures and low humidity and the fire danger is even higher.
Yeah, 2 million acres is a record for California and the fire season is not over but this is a large state and there is still a lot of forest left.  There is a lot of effort in replanting the burned areas and fortunately it doesn't take that long for new growth to replace burned areas.  It may take a few years but not a lifetime. 
Barbara, bummer, I hope you got your power back.   
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

107 this blue sky morning.

The high yesterday was 59° with gentle rain most of the day. Fresh snow on the mountain tops behind me. Today's forecast is 62°/33°. They had predicted 50-55 mile/hour winds for yesterday, fortunately nothing like that happened here!

Yesterday I was worried my phone would run out of charge if the power stay off for a long time. No telling how long it was going to be out. I remembered that DD had given me a charger for the car that plugs into the lighter. So I went for a drive for a couple of hours and charged it up. Made me feel much better. When I got home the power was back on...phew!

I forgot to mention in my list of where I lived that when late DH retired we left the Bay Area and moved to our weekend cabin in the Sierras, Arnold, a fairly quiet peaceful town. From there I moved to MT.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

Quote from: bigskygal on September 08, 2020, 02:16:48 PMYesterday I was worried my phone would run out of charge if the power stay off for a long time. No telling how long it was going to be out. I remembered that DD had given me a charger for the car that plugs into the lighter. So I went for a drive for a couple of hours and charged it up. Made me feel much better. When I got home the power was back on...phew!

That's an expensive way to charge your phone. How about a small inexpensive power bank for such times. The smaller ones should not cost you more than $10.

124 today  :o
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Sweety

Hello
Sorry for not keeping in touch. I have not been regular in checking my bg. I have not been regular in anything. Now my daughter is also doing all her studies on the laptop and that also is taking my time. But some months ago I was at 130+ and today I found my new high 147. It is time to be serious I think.
Diabetic ?

Tamagno

212 this morning.

Nice to hear from you, Sweetie; it's always a good time to be serious about glucose!

Ditto what SKB said about portable power supplies, BigSkyGal. I've got a few and one I only use for charging my pump (there's really no time I can take it off and leave it to charge). It's amazing, I've been using that charger for months and still haven't had to recharge it. That ones made by an outfit named Anker that seems to make good, reliable chargers.

I'm still plugging away at putting away various of the "crippled" things I've been using (I hate clutter). Probably be keeping my trusty walker a while, but I have plenty of the other things can be mothballed. My wife and I have considerably different ideas about what constitutes putting things away, so getting things in order since she's been in charge can be tricky.

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

93 this morning.

The weather here is 55 deg F with a high of 60 deg.  In the last 48 hours, we have received 3 inches of rain with more expected today and tomorrow.  At this rate we will have to get the canoe at the ready.   :D

Tamagno, I charge my pump whilst I am taking a shower.  I plug directly into the wall outlet in the bathroom using the charger,adapter that came with my pump.  Since you have the X2, maybe things are different for your pump than for my pump.

These Anker chargers - are there any you all would recommend for charging more than one device?
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

89 this morning.  A much cooler high of 93° yesterday and a cool 57° this morning.  Much better than the 80°+ mornings we have been having.  It looks like we will be in the 90s for a while and for here that is not bad.
I'm off shortly for a dentist appointment, not looking forward to it buy it is only for an exam and cleaning so not really any big deal.
Barbara, yeah, I have a power brick to charge my phone if I need to and it works quite well and lasts quite a long time.  It is nice to have as a backup so your phone can be used even if the power is out.
Grammabear, it is dependent on the capacity of the power bank.  They come in many different capacities listed as mAh so larger is better for how much they will be able to charge.  Mine is 22400 mAh and it will charge my phone and tablet several times.  I have never used it for an extended time so I don't know what the max is.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

103 this clear morning.

58° was the high yesterday, today's forecast is 75°/39°. The weather has definitely cooled down.

Yeah, maybe a bit expensive way to charge my phone, but considering I don't drive except for store or PO runs, it was good to get out and just enjoy being out. NO contact with mask less people or fear of catching something, just enjoying the scenery. But I will look into one of those power bricks as in the dead of Winter when I usually have the outages, driving around is not as easy.

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

Grammabear

Quote from: bigskygal on September 09, 2020, 02:39:09 PM103 this clear morning.

58° was the high yesterday, today's forecast is 75°/39°. The weather has definitely cooled down.

Yeah, maybe a bit expensive way to charge my phone, but considering I don't drive except for store or PO runs, it was good to get out and just enjoy being out. NO contact with mask less people or fear of catching something, just enjoying the scenery. But I will look into one of those power bricks as in the dead of Winter when I usually have the outages, driving around is not as easy.

Barbara - I think I can understand your reason for charging your phone via your car.  I am already getting weary of being housebound due to Covid and it's only September.  We also tend to lose power more often during Winter rather than Summer.  I am thinking strongly of getting a power bank for winter time weather power outages too.  Both my husband and I enjoy the phones and I think we would be sad if we lost power and the phones.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

skb

Welcome back Sweety. Good to see you posting again. Like John said "it's always a good time to be serious about glucose!"

92 today morning.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Tamagno

158 this morning.

I've got a number of devices by which I can charge my various devices including three large UPS backups that also have electrical outlets and will power my Wi-Fi, phone and computers for a few hours at the beginning of a power outage. The Anker charger I use has a capacity of 30,000 mAh and is one of the larger ones but will power a number of devices at once. Keep in mind, that the more "juice" a brick has, the heavier it will be, and if it's something you'll carry around you may decide you don't need a high mAh number.

I've often wondered how different things might be if Tesla had won his battle with Edison and fulfilled his dream of using AC instead of DC with it being delivered wirelessly everywhere.
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

93 this morning.

There are a number of power banks offered for sale on Amazon.  I'm just having a problem deciding which one I "really" need. 

Other parts of this country have had snow already, New Mexico for one, and yet will be in the 70s within a few days.  This is really crazy weather.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

86 this morning.  A really nice 87° for a high yesterday and it looks like it will be in the 90s for the next few days which is Fall weather here.  Fires are still the news for the entire Western USA as wildfires are plentiful in Northern and Southern California, Washington, Oregon, Nevada and Arizona.  Hoping for a change in weather to help mitigate the danger.
I had lab testing done yesterday and some of the results are pretty good.  A1c was 5.3% which I am happy with.  Lipid panel is looking good to me.  Chol - 135, Trig - 97, HDL - 49, LDL - 74, VLDL - 19.
Some of the items relating to liver and kidney function are out of range but that has been so for some time. 
One of the things that puzzles me is that I have checked the readings from the Freestyle Libre against the readings from my blood glucose meter and the Libre has always shown a lower number but the last two times I have had bloodwork done I took a reading from the Libre at the same time and my serum glucose was the same as the Libre. That makes me wonder how accurate the blood glucose meter is. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

bigskygal

106 this sunny morning.

68° was the high yesterday, today's forecast is 82°/44°.

I hear you Grammabear, I was looking at those power banks yesterday too. I have no clue how to choose one.