You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2020

Started by skb, December 31, 2019, 10:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walkerwally1

92 this morning.  A bit warmer yesterday with a high of 89° but still very nice.  Cooler nights also with an overnight low of 56°.
When we had the house in the mountains there was no power from the grid available so we used solar.  The solar panels charged a battery bank and an inverter converted the DC power to AC for the house.  In that system we had a battery bank of many lead acid batteries, like the one in your car but bigger, and the cost for the whole bank of batteries was around $7000.00.  We got about 6-7 years use before having to replace them so about $1000.00 a year.  We also had a generator to use when there wasn't enough sunlight to keep the batteries up. 
Tamagno, yeah, sometimes I end up having to do a lot of work fixing my "fixes" but then that is part of the fun, I think !  Not all fixes or upgrades work out as expected and sometimes it is necessary to revert back to get something to work.  Youtube has been a real help in many of the things I have undertaken.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

97 this smoky morning. The wind patterns changed with the higher temps and we are getting smoke again from the fires to the West.

Yesterday's high was 75°, today's forecast us 87°/46°. Not sure if it will actually get that high...

Took a little fall last night, just a couple of bruises, no major pains or hurts thank goodness. It has been a long time since my last fall, not looking forward to worrying about that again.

My miniature maple tree out in front has started turning red, it looks so pretty.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Grammabear

Oh goodness, Barbara.  Hope your bruises are getting better day by day.  If your DD should see them, she will be after you to move for sure.  Hope you feel better.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

bigskygal

Quote from: Grammabear on September 12, 2020, 07:30:02 PMOh goodness, Barbara.  Hope your bruises are getting better day by day.  If your DD should see them, she will be after you to move for sure.  Hope you feel better.

Yeah for sure, not going to be mentioning them to her. Really of all the falls I've had this was the least injurious. The first time I fell a few years ago I fell flat on my face, broke my glasses cut above my eye and had two black eyes.They kept asking me in  the ER if I was being abused.

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

skb

119 today.

Barbara, do take care and get well soon.
Quote from: walkerwally1 on September 12, 2020, 10:49:59 AMWhen we had the house in the mountains there was no power from the grid available so we used solar.  The solar panels charged a battery bank and an inverter converted the DC power to AC for the house.  In that system we had a battery bank of many lead acid batteries, like the one in your car but bigger, and the cost for the whole bank of batteries was around $7000.00.  We got about 6-7 years use before having to replace them so about $1000.00 a year.  We also had a generator to use when there wasn't enough sunlight to keep the batteries up. 

Yes, eco-friendly generation of power can be solar or wind, but the storage is always in batteries. We had installed a mini windmill on top of a site, and in the same manner, there was a large setup of battery bank for the storage, and then of course the inverter. 
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Tamagno

118 this morning.

Glad that fall wasn't a bad one, BigSkyGal! Also glad it didn't land you in the ER which would only fuel the flames for the moving crowd.

So far as I can find out, there are no alternate energy options in my area that work, are cost effective or, for that matter, are attractive in any way. Battery technology has gotten more clever, but hasn't really seen any major breakthroughs that would make them better for energy storage over a longer period of time.

Yesterday, I put my electric blanket on my bed and am glad I did. I put it under the fitted sheet rather than having it directly on top of me - I find that works best and helps keep heavy blankets off my feet, which I hate and is often painful.
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

118 this morning.

Tamagno - I never considered putting the electric blanket under the fitted sheet - how very clever.  Why is it that blankets sometimes are painful to the feet and yet my feet like to be warm while I sleep?  If my feet are going to hurt, it always seems to be a night.  I do have neuropathy but normally it stays quiet during the day.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

76 this morning.  Still enjoying the cooler weather and hope it is the norm for a bit.
Out here in the desert solar can be very cost effective as a supplement to grid power.  If you have power from the grid solar panels are used as your source to power the home when the sun is available and switches back to the power from the grid at other times so no batteries involved.  We have sunlight something like over 95% of the days here so it's pretty effective.  It is going to take time to recoup the cost though but in most cases it is just a few years and then the savings are quite good. 
Geeze Barbara, hope you are better now.  Hope you don't have a repeat.  About a year ago I got up from my chair and my leg had gone to sleep and I did a faceplant on the floor and smashed my glasses into my nose but it wasn't that bad, just something I don't want to repeat.  Be careful !
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

114 this smoky morning. The smoke is even heavier todayI can't see the mountains on either side of the house. It isn't the red sky like in CA just a white out.

76° was the high yesterday, I knew it wouldn't make it to 87°. Today's forecast is 89°/46° and again, I doubt that will happen. I think the smoke layer is keeping it cooler.

A few more sore spots are showing up, but nothing serious. I surely do not want a repeat performance!

skb

120 today morning.

The monsoons are on their way out so we are experiencing some thundershowers every other day.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Tamagno

140 this morning.

I don't know about you, Grammabear, but my neuropathy habitually gets worse at night and causes me even to sleep with my feet off the end of the bed much of the time to keep pressure off both heels and toes. Besides, I'm terribly lazy and having the electric blanket under the fitted sheet makes morning bed making just a bit easier. Also, while I lived in Germany I learned and adopted their practice of not using another sheet over the fitted one and under my blanket - one less thing to rearrange every day and needing washing.

SKB, I'd think that monsoon season would be hard on infrastructure things like electrical wires and roads, etc. Of course, India's had monsoons for thousands of years so I guess things have been built to accommodate that.

I'm seeing my oncologist this morning; I doubt there'll be anything going on save for the usual talk over how to gain weight and/or how to manage dysphoria.

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Sweety

130 today. It is a slightly better reading. I have started Metformin again, which I had stopped in between.

@bigskygal I hope you are not badly hurt. Wish you a speedy recovery.
Diabetic ?

Grammabear

86 this morning.

Bigskygal - Glad to hear you are feeling some better.  Bruises seem to take a while to heal when we get older.  Be safe.

Tamagno - How brilliant the German custom of sleeping under the blanket.  How does that work in the Summer when the weather is warmer?  And Yes, my neuropathy is a lot more aggravating at night than during the day time hours.  I once knew of a lady who had a frame of some kind that she fit at the end of her bed.  This frame kept the sheets/blankets up and off her feet.  She claimed it eased her pain at night.

Wally- When an area has so many wildfires like California, what happens to the wild critters?  Are they lost along with the trees and everything else in the path of the fires?
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

83 this morning.  Weather remains nice for here and no smoke in this area but much of the state is under heavy smoke and wildfires are still stubborn. 
Grammabear, the wild critters are aware of the danger and for the most part run out of the area where a fire is but unfortunately some will perish that are trapped.  The same thing happens to humans.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

bigskygal

119 this very smoky morning. Air Quality Unhealthy. You are lucky Wally that you don't have smoke.

70°  was the high yesterday, I knew it would never get to the predicted 89°. Today's forecast is 87°/46°, again, I doubt it will get that warm.

Still on the sore side, taking it easy today.