You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2020

Started by skb, December 31, 2019, 10:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamagno

225 this morning.

Wally, since you got this 3D printer my wife has been inundating me with news items about places that have used them to make body organs (lungs, etc.), all of which are as yet far from reality.

While in the recovery room following cancer surgery I experienced a long series of hallucinations indistinguishable from our shared reality. Far and away the worst was while I was on ventilator which vision was populated with computer generated looking technicians who moved far too quickly and whose attention I couldn't get to help me breath. This one was a first-order nightmare following which I can no longer entertain any thoughts of hybrid human/robot creatures or worse, uploading my soul (personality, experience, etc.) into a robot.

SKBs somewhat tongue in cheek remark regarding a 3D printer replicating itself is not so far fetched and humans need to consider these matters very, very carefully.
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

91 this morning.

It is 63 deg F at our place this morning, a perfect day to enjoy the sunshine.

Has anyone noticed the "Fall" colors are really subdued this year?
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

90 this morning.  Weather here remains nice and will cool down a bit in about a week but nowhere near cold.  Higher heat and winds are going to plague the fire areas over the weekend so that is not good. 
You can make parts for a 3D printer with a 3D printer but I don't think there is any way to print things like the electronics and the motors and such so no I don't think that 3D printers are self replicating. 
It is interesting how the process may be used for industrial and medical applications though.  For me it's really just a toy and something to keep myself busy trying to learn new things.     
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

104 this cloudy morning.

62° was the high yesterday, today's forecast is 58°/40° with rain showers. It cleared up some yesterday afternoon, don't think that is going to happen today, it is really socked in.

No, Kathy, the colors here seem just as vibrant as ever. It may be that it is just still early in the season for your area. My miniature maple was a vibrant red at its prime fall color, now it is a dark red with leaves falling off.

I still haven't told DD that I am not coming out this year...I just can't.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

103 today morning.

Wally the electronics is always going to be add-ons whatever the printer (or any other gadget) is made out of. What is the the minimum thickness of items that you can "print". Can you make decent phone covers ?
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Tamagno

111 this morning.

For the most part, we've seen no changes in leaves yet. It's actually just a little early. Once they change there's a short window before they hit the ground. The red Japanese maple is most always the last to drop leaves.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

101 this morning.

I know of someone who used his 3D printer to make a 'mask extender' piece for wearing with masks that have ear loops.  I was lucky enough to receive one of his creations and it is quite comfortable.  My ears appreciate the respite from the elastic.  I seem to have some kind of reaction every time I wear the mask with elastic loops - my ears itch and are really sore after wearing it.

Barbara - Perhaps suggest that your daughter visit you this year maybe on a long weekend?
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

83 this morning.  A bit late this morning, got busy and forgot.  ~wsl~ 
It looks like another smoky day but other than that it will be nice.
Yeah SKB the electronics would be add-ons.  There are industrial printers that are printing with metal and that could be a possibility I guess but the process is slow compared to other methods for any kind of production but for a one of a kind it  might be doable.  Our little home versions are not suitable for a lot of things as we are using types of plastics and laying one layer on top of another to go from 2D to 3D.  Strength depends on how well each layer bonds to the next layer.  The build volume for my printer is 220mm X 220mm X 250mm so you can make something fairly thick.  You can make a decent phone case and there are some more flexible filaments that would work pretty well.  I guess the question is, since there are rather inexpensive cases available, is it worth it.  If you want a case that does more than just protect the phone, say that has the ability to attach to a bicycle so you can use the phone while riding you have the option to design one and print it.  There are a lot of things you can make that are not something that you can buy and then the printer becomes a useful item and more than just a toy.  Right now I am working on making a case for the new touch screen display for the printer.  The display is just a bare board and screen and there is no case you can buy but there are many designs available to print.   
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

110 this cloudy windy morning.

60° was the high yesterday, today's forecast is 53°/39° with a chance of rain. At least the smoke is gone for now.

It is really not possible for DD and family to come here. There are 5 of them and space is a problem plus I am not toddler proof at all. It is normally just easier for me to go there.

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

skb

Quote from: Grammabear on September 26, 2020, 09:52:19 AMMy ears appreciate the respite from the elastic.  I seem to have some kind of reaction every time I wear the mask with elastic loops - my ears itch and are really sore after wearing it.

I have the same problem. Now that I am working full time more or less I have to wear the mask and I like the thinner lighter ones made of cloth, but the elastic bothers me a lot.

Wally, my question was just hypothetical. I understand that commercially available items would be much cheaper and better. Wish you luck with the touch screen case.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

bigskygal

Since I only go out twice a month and take the mask off between stops in the car, I haven't had a problem with my ears. I have several different washable masks, but my problem with them is they have no nose clips so my glasses fog up. I see on Amazon stick on strips you can apply that may last through washing. I think I will order them and try them out.

Sweety

112 yesterday ans 120 today's reading. I thought I would be seeing something better than yesterday.  :'(
Diabetic ?

Tamagno

50 this morning.

Looks to be almost summer today which will be great.

We'll be having "deck" visitors early this afternoon so I hope the predicted warm weather pans out.

I always take a sort of smoothie drink to keep by my bed as I'm often thirsty. I like these to be very cold but they're getting to be nothing but ice by the morning so I need to consider what I might add to keep that from happening. I think tonight I'll try adding some sugar free pudding and heavy cream. I think that ought to do it as long as it's not too thick.

Grammabear

129 this morning - don't have a clue where that came from either.  :(

Tamagno - If you like your smoothie drink to be very cold, check out the https://corkcicle.com/ website.  Both my husband and I like their drinkware as it is stainless steel and well insulated.

Barbara - If you order those strips from Amazon, do let us know how they work for you.  My glasses fog up and I have to remove them in order to see.

skb - If someone in your acquaintance knows how to crochet, there are many free patterns to make these mask extenders from yarn.  I made one for myself, but I did not make it long enough.  So I will try again soon to adapt the pattern to fit my head.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

94 this morning.  It looks like we will be pushing the 100° mark for a daily high for a few days then maybe down to the low 90s to high 80s around the second week of October.  So far it has been a fairly warm Fall.
SKB, yeah, I realize that but it is something to speculate about.  I have been a fan of Science Fiction and machines that can replicate themselves has been something thought of.  Someday it may become a reality.  Some manufacturers of 3D printers do use printed parts for their machines, at least in the beginning until they get to a volume that makes it worth using injection molding.
I am like Barbara, I only go out for short errands so I don't have a mask on for long times.  I use disposable masks and they do have the metal over the nose so you can shape it over the bridge of your nose but it seems to only have a slight effect on keeping from fogging your glasses.   
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024