You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2020

Started by skb, December 31, 2019, 10:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigskygal

93 this rainy morning.

60° was the high again yesterday, today's forecast is 58°/35°. Rain in the valley overnight but lots of fresh new snow on the mountain tops to the west of me.

I do normally wear the disposable masks with the nose piece in them, but I did buy a few washable cloth masks that don't. I wore one of them the last time I went out and it was miserable having my glasses fog up constantly. I am going to check out the clips on Amazon. I want to read the reviews.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

130 today morning.

Still reeling from some banana chips that I had yesterday.
I have many masks but find the cloth ones more easy for breathing.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Tamagno

188 this morning.

Begin rant:

Once again, I had to replace both pump insertion set and CGM sensor first thing this morning. As has become usual, both had failed before their "due date." I always check cannulas when I remove them and both were badly bent and deformed. I understand I'm significantly underweight and can most always feel cannulas as they rub against muscle. Body sites with fat are nonexistent, but with pump insertions at least I can control angle of insertion but not the length of the cannula. With the CGM it's much harder as I've less control. I moved both to different areas this morning so we'll see what happens.

I've spoken frequently with company reps, etc., but with no useful advice. Whether a T1 is just underweight like me or worse, a very fit athlete without body fat, you'd think a solution could be found that works reliably.

I'm sick of these overnight early failures and will speak with company reps shortly...

End rant.

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

100 this morning.

We had more rain last night, however we are still below what is normal for our area for this time of year.

Tamagno - Can you ask for different styles of infusion sets to try?  That might help with your problem. Also maybe ask your Endo to prescribe changing infusion sets every 2 days instead of every 3 days.  Have you tried your arms as a 'site' for infusion sets?  Some folks have said on facebook Tandem group the arm, back or front works better for them.  If you have any "love handles" that also could be a place to try.  Other folks have tried the top of the hip in the back - but you might need help applying that area.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

81 this morning.  Two more fires broke out this weekend in Northern California in the wine country around the San Francisco bay area.  It has been a rough few weeks and the weather is not helping right now.  Hoping for a change soon.  It looks like it will be another hot week and then starting to cool down.
Tamagno, I hope you can find a solution, that can't be easy to deal with.  It is said that you can never be too rich or too thin but I know being too thin can be a problem.  My normal weight is around 155 pounds but when I broke my hip I got down to 135 and that wasn't a big drop but I found out that I was missing some of the "padding" and that made it more painful just laying down or sitting.  I gained back the 20 pounds and felt much better.  I was lucky that it was easy for me to add the weight.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

102 this chilly morning.

59° was the high yesterday, today's forecast is 67°/37°. I will be surprised if it gets that high. The trees are really turning.

Tamagno, I hope you can get your problems resolved quickly.

Wally, I can't imagine how exhausted all the firefighters are out there. My son took 2 teams from his station to the Creek fire they were there 2 weeks mid August got to come home for a couple days then back again for 2 weeks. Not sure where he is now...

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

skb

Quote from: walkerwally1 on September 28, 2020, 10:45:37 AMMy normal weight is around 155 pounds but when I broke my hip I got down to 135 and that wasn't a big drop but I found out that I was missing some of the "padding" and that made it more painful just laying down or sitting.  I gained back the 20 pounds and felt much better.  I was lucky that it was easy for me to add the weight.

My ideal weight as per many calculation methods is 73 kg (160.6 lbs) and I've been around 155 for most of the previous couple of years. During the lockdown period we resorted to eating very controlled portions (I eat only twice a day) and increasing exercise. As a result my weight automatically dropped to 151.2 lbs.
My children and others in the family and friend circle starting commenting that I was getting to be too thin and needed to put on weight. I actually upped my carb consumption to put on some weight and now eat some rice for dinner. That has increased my weight to 153-154 but not much. However, if I go for a slice of cake or some chocolate cookies or something, I can put on 2 lbs over night.
In a way, if you do something wrong (diet wise) and add weight, it is a good sign that your body is behaving normally. Unexplained loss is a worrisome thing no doubt.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Sweety

Yesterday reading 117 and today 114. It is much better than some old numbers which were very high.

My weight is more than it should be. I have gained 4-5 kilos in the lock down period.
Diabetic ?

Tamagno

260 this morning.

Same thing last night and I seemed to be near 400 most of the night. I'd thought that trying a new site might solve the problem, but not so far. I'll definitely be calling Tandem today and see if they can offer any solution. Among other things, I'm also wondering if the pump itself needs to be replaced.

Since the cancer I never seem to be able to get over 110 lbs. no matter what. At about 5'11" tall, it's a problem. It hasn't helped any that I'm now back on a puréed diet which just isn't all that appetizing. I'm habitually exhausted and have little energy.

Well, maybe my chat with Tandem will prove helpful.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

101 this morning.

Our weather here cooled off considerably overnight and we woke to a cool 46 deg F.  The high is supposed to be 60 deg F.

Tamagno - Have you considered doing a partially untethered system where you have the pump do your basal and a insulin pen do your bolus?  I know some people are doing that as a break from the pump.  I hope Tandem has some answers or suggestions for you as this situation has to be quite frustrating.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

91 this morning.  The winds must have shifted as there is no smoke here at all although the fires are still going. They are getting a handle on the nearby fires but further north in central California they have two new fires that have broken out and causing problems.
Yeah Barbara, the poor firefighters are being put to a real demanding ordeal.  I hope your son is doing OK.
Tamagno, I hope you find a solution.  That has to be really difficult.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

106 this sunny morning.

Definitely getting cooler here. 62° was the high yesterday, today's forecast is 75°/39°. Again I doubt the high as it is only 60° now.

Gosh Tamagno, I hope they can help you, that number is frightening.

skb

112 this morning.

I agree, tamagno, that number is really frightening. I hope you can do whatever needs to be done to overcome this malfuntion.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Sweety

skb my reading is also 112 today.

Should I cut down metformin to once a day?
Diabetic ?

Tamagno

121 this morning.

Finally, an insertion set that survived the night! Basically, there's no secret but to move it to a fairly as-yet used site. I guess scar tissue builds up in those favorite spots making insertion difficult - though I don't see anything that looks like scar tissue, but okay. Tandem warns you to use a site that won't be disturbed much by daily living, but in reality that's largely impossible (how in the world can you insert it above a buttock without sitting on it?). I seem to do best inserting in my lower abdomen below my belt line but favor the right side as absorption seems best there. I've moved it to the left which seems at least to be working (I know that sounds trivial, but it can be dramatically different in terms of insulin delivery) Whew!

Grammabear, your suggestion is interesting and one I'd not heard. I'll give that a try as well when I bolus in closer to whole increments.

Interestingly, I feel much better rested this morning, although my Fitbit says I actually slept less than two hours. Also, it seemed that getting moving was much easier this morning. It's not surprising that extremes of glucose are physically exhausting, I suppose.

Our weather remains warmish in the mid-60s but with a lot of rain and high dew point/humidity. I always feel like putting on either heat or a/c to cut back the humidity, but I'm not sure that's effective.