You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2020

Started by skb, December 31, 2019, 10:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grammabear

106 this morning.

Our nighttime temperatures are now in the 40s and 50s F,
so nice for sleeping.  But morning and daytime temperatures are now in the 60s so not quite as nice for outdoor chores.

Tamagno - I think when Tandem recommends the buttocks area for a infusion site, they really mean higher up on the buttocks/hip area.  What they don't tell you is that it helps a whole lot if someone can help you with the placement.  I also have absorption issues with different areas of my body.  One side works much better than others.  I have used the backs of my arms, my upper thighs, and if I am desperate my very upper chest area.

Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

89 this morning.  We are going to be in the 100° range for the rest of the week and then it looks like it will start to cool a bit next week.  Overnight lows here are in the 65° to 70° range so not too Autumn like yet.
Tamagno, glad that at least you are finding at least some of a better solution.  Hope it continues to improve.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

115 this sunny morning.

68° was the high yesterday, today's forecast is 71°/37°. It might happen, it is 60° right now.

Tamagno, glad to hear you got a fix, hope it continues.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

bigskygal

skb, this is an off the wall post. I was watching a cooking show where the focus was bacon...yeah Yum! But it brought back memories of DH and I on our multiple backpack trips into the Sierras. We'd go out for 5-7-10 days at a time. One staple that always came along was Celebrity canned bacon made in Hungary (his home land).  It just brought back a warm memory and I tried to search if I could buy it anywhere here. Your DH lives in Hungary right? Is there any wayI can find out if this company is in business?  It would be such a sweet trip down memory lane to find it again.

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

skb

Quote from: bigskygal on September 30, 2020, 10:12:05 PMYour DH lives in Hungary right? Is there any wayI can find out if this company is in business?  It would be such a sweet trip down memory lane to find it again.

Yes my daughter is in Hungary and I will ask her to get this information for you. I could get this from Google though - http://www.canned-bacon.com/

143 today as a result of some cookies containing honey, last night after dinner.

@tamagno happy about that number.

Weather here is getting warmer and sunnier. Rains are on their way out with a small shower here and there, but that's just for this part of the country. In some places it is still raining hard.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Tamagno

133 this morning.

BigSkyGal, bacon in parts of Europe is just amazing and nothing like it can be had here unless you pay $20/lb. for some artisanal stuff. I'll be curious to hear if you can get what you want and if you still like it.

Similarly, we tend to think poorly of canned fish, but in some of Europe (Spain especially) it's sometimes a delicacy. There are definitely canned products that we often just overlook out of habit.

I hate to see it go, but the last of our very tall ash trees is going to get taken down. This ones in the very front of our place and is easily 80' tall. It's one of the few that managed to survive the disease that killed so many ashes a few years back, but it's reached an age where it's no longer blooming and is a hazard. I'll be sorry to lose it.
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

100 this morning.

It is always sad, to me anyway, when a mature tree has to come down.  Our neighbor had the most beautiful red Maple and a storm brought down a branch too close to her roof.  So the safest thing to do was to take the rest of it down.  So sad.  We enjoyed the leaves color in the Fall.

Barbara - Have you seen this article?
http://www.canned-bacon.com/
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

84 this morning.  Weather here right now is pretty constant and thankfully no smoke.  On the other side of the mountains in the Los Angeles area they are going to have a heat wave and it is supposed to be hotter there than here in the desert.  They are being warned about possible power outages because of the high usage form air conditioners. 
Yeah, it is sad to have to take down a tree but sometimes it is necessary.  We had to take down two here when we moved in because they were pretty much dead but we planted two more and they are doing quite well.  It takes time but at least there is going to be a replacement.
I never had canned bacon so I would be interested in how it was.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

91 this partly cloudy morning.

69° was the high yesterday, today's forecast is 73°/42°.

Thanks for the links, I'll have to see if Amazon carries the Yoder brand. The thing is when you are in the back country for days eating backpacking food, to open a can of bacon, fry it up and fry bread in the fat for breakfast, it is like heaven!! Plus the fat gives you so much energy for the day's hiking.

I just checked Amazon for Yoders and the seller wants $30 for 1 9oz can! Won't be buying that there!

skb

108 this morning.

Bringing down a tree or it coming down on its own is a great loss to nature, given that it takes decades for the tree to grow to that size.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Tamagno

149 this morning.

When we first moved here in the early 90s, most all the trees were ashes as well as the rest of the county. At that time, they were all about 50-60 years old and afflicted with a sort of blight that was killing a great many of them. I can't begin to count the number of ash trees I've either had to have taken down or cut down myself. What's amazing is that before those trees got established most all of this area was open farm land, not woods. Since then, some of us have planted other trees (my favorite is the redwood I got as a "puppy" of a couple of feet tall that's now around 80' tall). The trouble is that fast growing trees like willows aren't sturdy. The harder wood trees like oaks grow much slower so you may never see them to maturity but are much hardier.

BigSkyGal, it's too bad that canned bacon is so expensive. I wonder if those little tins of deviled ham you see in groceries are anything at all like it. By the way, my Amazon shopping cart is loaded with a variety of imported foods I want to try. Every so often I'll get one or two to see if it's worth the trouble/expense. Just now I've got a package of "salt" made from the anchovy rendering process. It's interesting and salty, but the odor is intense (sort of like a very concentrated fish sauce) - you only need a bit.
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

111 this morning.

We bought our house in 1972 and it had trees everywhere at a random pattern.  They are the Elm tree and shortly after we bought the house, the Elm disease was discovered in our county.  One by one our trees had to come down over the years, and we always felt sad when that happened.  We were gifted two 'baby' evergreen trees which grew fast.  Those trees became a haven for many songbirds.  Sadly about four years ago we had a horrible storm that cut both evergreen trees in half, so they too had to come down.

A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

92 this morning.  A couple of fires around here are much closer to being contained and much less of a threat but Northern California is having a real problem.  From Cal Fire :

Currently 76% of the West is under drought conditions, and no rainfall is expected until the end of next week, according to Shackelford.

This year, over 8,100 wildfires have burned nearly four million acres, according to Cal Fire. Nearly 100,000 people have been evacuated across the state and 30 people have died.

And just to put it in perspective, five of the top 20 largest fires in California's history have burned this year.

Two fires in the northern wine country have literally exploded and at least 12 wineries have been destroyed.  It has been a bad year and round 4 million acres have been destroyed so far.

Tamagno, I am not nearly an adventurist with food and tend to stick with what I am familiar with.  It probably is fun to try other things but I kind of shy away from experimenting. I am always interested in others ventures though.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

bigskygal

105 this sunny morning.

65° was the high yesterday, today's forecast is 73°/40°.

Wow Wally! Those fires are frightening! 12 wineries! That has to be devastating for the wine country! We are getting some smoke again here today, I guess the winds have changed once again.

bigskygal

ETA Tamagno, the Celebrity bacon was actual bacon slices in the can wrapped in paper. It cooked up just like regular bacon and rendered wonderful bacon fat. Those little tins are a meat spread, for sandwiches nothing like a strip of bacon at all.

I am intrigued by your anchovy salt. What is the brand name. I do often use fish sauce in my cooking (influenced by my Chinese MIL 1st DH...then other cooking styles from my late 2nd DH's Hungarian influences) very eclectic tastes here, willing to try almost anything once.

Oh dear, just went down a huge rabbit hole of fish/anchovy sauce....seasoning... Help me ! I need to escape! :)