You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2020

Started by skb, December 31, 2019, 10:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walkerwally1

79 this morning.  We broke under the 100° mark yesterday with a high of 99° so now a cooling trend starts.  It is supposed to get down to 80° on the weekend.  Not the Fall weather a lot of people are used to but it will do for here.  There is a chance of rain in Central and Northern California and that would really be a good thing.

I did install the IOS 14 update on my phone and tablet but I haven't really tried to use any of the new features.  So far it is working just fine.
I have been using the Fitbit app for several years and I like it.  It doesn't tell me to do anything, I don't use the meditation function or any other "features" but I do like the sleep tracking but I never got a message to increase my sleep time.  Maybe because I usually get at least 7-8 hours a night.  But, if it isn't working for you there is no reason to keep it.

Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

113 this sunny morning. Most of the smoke is gone, hopefully stays that way.

69° was the high yesterday, today's forecast is 71°/39°.

I haven't gotten the message to update to IOS 14 on my phone yet. I have an iPhone 7 it is at 13.7. Maybe it is too old for the uodate?

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Grammabear

Barbara - I also use an iphone 7 so I don't think your phone is too old for the update.  I found the update offer on Settings - General - Settings - Software Update.  This update seemed to take a longggg time and my phone was 100% charged.  It has brought a few changes, one of which seems to require either the touch id or the passcode - neither of which I had prior to the update.  I don't use my phone to purchase goods, just for cruising internet and touching base with my family/friends. 
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

bigskygal

Thanks Grammabear, I looked and in fact do have update 14.1 waiting to upload. Usually I get a badge/message telling me I have an update waiting, Guess I missed 14 so now on to 14.1. I'll plug my phone in tonight when I go to bed and do the upgrade.

My tablet (iPad mini 2) is too old for the 14 updates but occasionally I'll get a random 12/13 update which is kind of strange. I still have my original iPad version 5.1.1. I play some of the games on it and use the calculator on it so I don't have to use space on the mini. It is only 16 gig so not much space. Just maybe I will upgrade my i:ad one of these days...maybe...with larger storage space. My phone has 128 GB with only 18.3 used...don't use the phone for much more than the occasional call or text, email and the step app.

I have tried several times to update my MacBook Air but it keeps timing out during the process. No clue what is wrong there...most likely operator error...

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

skb

117 today morning.

I have an iPhone 6 and the iOS is 12.4.8. Between husband and wife we have 3 iPhone 6s and 1 iPhone 5. All of them are in great working order. I almost upgraded to an iPhone SE 2020 a couple of days ago, but my son asked me to hold on for a month when the iPhone 12 is to be announced. There's a 12 mini on the cards which is of the iPhone 5 size, which I think is as big as a phone should get. So I'm waiting. Otherwise we'll put up all the phones on the Used market and buy 2 new phones.

All gadget makers try to pressurize you to buy the newer models by updating the s/w. The phones we have are really doing a great job and replacement for replacements sake doesn't make sense.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Tamagno

230 this morning.

Grammabear, why does it seem that pump problems only happen in the middle of the night? Definitely, I'll have to change my insertion set this morning, but in the interim I've bolused for breakfast using a pen.

Can't remember if I mentioned, but I've just found out my long time and much loved and appreciated GP is soon to retire. He was the last around here to not allow himself to be gobbled up by the big hospital-owned practices and was generous with time, incredibly knowledgeable and always available with a quick phone call. It's a great loss to many people in the area. We'll be trying out a new one (the commercial insurance through my wife's employer - the huge hospital that's taken over health care here - requires you use someone in their network). Well, time marches on...

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

97 this morning.

Tamagno - I have a favor to ask of you.  Could you look on your pen and see what the expiration date is?  I am interested to know because I hope to ask my GP for a prescription for a pen for rapid acting insulin and a pen for long lasting insulin (levemir).  I think the expense of both pens will be out of pocket, so I need to know the expiration date time frame.  I haven't used pens in a good long while.  And Yes, pump problems always seem to happen in the early morning hours when no one is at their best for solving problems.

skb - It is my opinion that if a phone still works properly then why replace it with one that is labeled "new"?  My husband uses a iphone 5 and I have an iphone 7, the only difference being is the amount of storage space on either device.

Wally - Will the wildfires be contained if the temperatures become lower so no new fires are likely to get started?

bigskygal - While downloading this latest software update, it did take forever, so plugging in before your bedtimes seems like a smart idea.  I shall remember that for next time.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

84 this morning.  It is getting cooler although just a couple of degrees a day but we should be in the low 80s by the weekend.
There is no reason you can't keep using an older phone like an iphone 5 except that it will no longer get updates which may not be a problem at all.  The claim is that the new updates are geared to the newer hardware on the new phones which does make some sense.  I had an iphone 7 which was fine but when the new 2020 SE came out for only $400 I went ahead and got one and sold the 7 on ebay for $250 so it was not a big expense.  It has the same processor as the iphone 11 and in fact is almost the same except for the camera which is just fine for me.  I like the size and it uses touch ID instead of face ID which I like better.  This seemed like a good option compared to the over $1000 cost of an iphone 11 or the new 12 when it comes out. 

Grammabear, cooler weather and maybe even rain can help a lot to contain the fires.  We are not out of fire danger yet as high temps and winds can still happen but as we get closer to winter it gets better.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

102 this sunny morning.

70° was the high yesterday, today's forecast is 77°/41°.

The update went well, don't really notice anything different. I like the size of the iPhone 7 as I carry it in my pocket all the time both as a step counter and my Help I've fallen device. I wouldn't want anything larger. I don't see me getting a new phone any time in the near future.

skb

Quote from: walkerwally1 on October 06, 2020, 10:48:06 AMThere is no reason you can't keep using an older phone like an iphone 5 except that it will no longer get updates which may not be a problem at all.  The claim is that the new updates are geared to the newer hardware on the new phones which does make some sense.  I had an iphone 7 which was fine but when the new 2020 SE came out for only $400 I went ahead and got one and sold the 7 on ebay for $250 so it was not a big expense.  It has the same processor as the iphone 11 and in fact is almost the same except for the camera which is just fine for me.  I like the size and it uses touch ID instead of face ID which I like better.  This seemed like a good option compared to the over $1000 cost of an iphone 11 or the new 12 when it comes out. 

Exactly my thoughts, Wally. The price and specs of the SE 2020 both suited me.

118 today.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Tamagno

124 this morning.

Grammabear, interestingly, all my pens are many years old and way past their "expiration" date. The insulin seems to work just fine nevertheless. I have a couple of boxes of Novolog pens in the fridge and two I keep on my medicine shelf in my bedroom. I guess it's good to know these appear to last well beyond expectations.

My phone usage is eccentric in that I rarely use it at all as we've no cell service. I've currently got a refurbished Samsung phone I got from Tracfone for about $25 which seems stable and connects reliably to my car system which is when I'd be most likely to use it. I'd like to update it to something able to make use of my home wifi so it could be more functional. Gosh, I've accumulated zillions of minutes of air time and data time.

Also, my MacBook Pro is an antique that keeps soldiering on, doing the few chores I ask of it so far without major glitches.

No reason for me to update any tech that's still working unless there are features I want or really need. I know a great many people getting new phones every couple of years and paying their monthly pittance toward the purchase cost without thinking. While I've had Apple devices get so old they just wouldn't function, I also don't like the idea of paying monthly fees for most anything.

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

101 this morning.

I saw the nephrologist yesterday, mostly because I was concerned about some odd readings from blood work I had donw at the GPs last office visit.  Now he is sending me back to the clinic for a boatload of blood work - some of which are downright scary if the outcome is positive.

The Covid cases are rising here in our county as there were 19 new cases yesterday.  Very scary indeed.

Tamagno - I never knew insulin pens could last so long and still be viable. 
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

82 this morning.  We are still on a cooling trend although it is slow and 1-2 degrees each day but still it is cooling and that is nice. 
Tamagno, I also had no cell service when I was on the mountain but I also only had internet through the satellite and it was not good for VOIP because of the delay in the signal.  The Apple phones will work just fine over your internet connection if it is decent.  Here I have good cell service so I don't use it but I did try it and the phone works just fine.  It may be something you could use. 
I'm kind of a nut case when it comes to upgrading or improving my tech stuff and I am always playing around with stuff.  My iPhone 7 was just fine but when the 2020 SE came out I saw it as an opportunity to get a new phone without spending too much.  I bought it direct from Apple and not through my carrier.  I'm using Consumer Cellular and my monthly bill is just $26 a month and here the service is very good.  I was paying $80 a month for Verizon for just one line.   
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

bigskygal

108 this sunny morning.

Another 70° for the high yesterday, today's forecast is 77°/39°.

I had my MacBookPro for about 7 years before it died the pink screen of death. I've had my MacBookAir for 2 years so far and hope it lasts longer than the Pro...

skb

99 today morning.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club