You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2020

Started by skb, December 31, 2019, 10:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walkerwally1

87 this morning.  Well it's getting a bit cooler here but probably more like Summer to a lot of you with highs now in the 80s so it will be a while before we see any frost.
Grammabear, I know it can be quite frustrating to have no good explanation for the testing your doctor is doing.  I am fortunate that my doctor is pretty good at going over tests and results but I also get my test results before my appointment and do a little research on what the tests are for and what the results mean.  That way I can be a bit more aware of what is going on.  As I have gotten older I less likely to just sit and let the doctor pass over results without an explanation.  You are paying them and they owe you an explanation for what is going on.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

99 this drizzly morning. At least the wind is not blowing.

60° was the high yesterday, today's forecast is 52°/39° with showers.

Tamagno, the Piparra Peppers I got from Amazon (brand name Matiz) are delicious! I got them Thursday and they are half gone already. It is a small jar . I am going to order them again for sure! They aren't very hot, but worked great in my Bloody Mary! I haven't tried the tinned seafood yet...maybe today.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Tamagno

80 this morning.

BigSkyGal, I've not heard of those peppers - I'm starting a list of your recommendations, so I'm grateful to have them!

Grammabear, in theory it's your Primary Care doc who should be looking over test results and making a sensible synthesis of them. Like many of us, you've got a lot going on, and while researching the meaning of labs is worthwhile, really understanding where they point does require educated knowledge and experience. Sadly, finding a PCP able to do that plus one willing to sit and explain them is hard to come by. Years ago, I managed to scare myself by making conclusions based on my own research that turned out wrong, so I've learned to exercise caution.

For my part, I'm sick to death of doctors, tests and especially hospitals so I avoid them like the plague!

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

81 this morning.

It is a windy, rainy morning here with temperature around 45 deg F.  My husband finished digging all the potatoes from his garden yesterday, so he is pleased he completed that task.  I even enjoyed a small potato last night for supper.  Been a good long while since I had potato.

Tamagno - I agree about my Primary Care doctor being the one to evaluate my test results.  There were more 'results' that came back to my patient portal and so far, that makes a total of 20+ tests that were done at the last blood draw.  I don't know whether to be pleased at the zeal of the nephrologist or to be annoyed with him because he hasn't shared what the heck he is looking to find?

I have a severe hearing impairment, so when I go to the Doctor office it doesn't take much before I get super stressed.  The nephrologist is of East Indian ethnic background, although he came to this country a long time ago - he never lost his accent.  Plus when he gets to explaining himself, he talks faster and faster and I can't comprehend what he is saying.

They are referring me to a rheumatologist because I have one test that came back ANA positive (whatever that means I have NO clue).  I'm not even sure the nephrologist realizes I am type 1 and hypothyroid.

My Auntie once said "Getting old is not for sissies" and boy was she right......"end of rant".
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

81 this morning for me this morning also.  The weather here is pretty nice right now and it looks like we will have warm but not hot temps for the rest of the month.

Yeah Grammabear, I have had a doctor before that had a thick accent and it was almost impossible to understand what they were trying to explain.  I am fortunate now that my current doctor takes the time to help me understand what she is doing.  I agree with Tamagno that do more harm than good by researching and drawing your own conclusions.  I do research to learn more about the tests I am given and what it means so I am more able to understand what the reason for the test is.  That way I may be more aware of what questions I need to ask the doctor about but I let her interpret the results.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

94 this rainy morning.

48° was the high yesterday, today's forecast is 48°/37° with showers again.

Yeah, I've had my share of doctors that don't/won't thoroughly explain things and I've had a few that were excellent. It is the luck of the draw sometimes. I've also scared myself using Dr Google and WebMD so try not to go down those rabbit holes as much as possible. In the end, I try to get as much info as possible and then try to make what I feel is the best decision based on what my dr says.

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

skb

122 today morning.

Grammabear, that test indicates if you have any antibodies, i.e any auto=immune condition, which you do have. I'm sure the Drs are aware of your T1 and Thyroid condition. These things are usually written in Red on top of the patient cards. BTW is your hypothyroid Hashimoto's ?

Wally, I followed your lead and ordered the iPhone SE 2020. The 12 Mini was more than twice the price. With the exchange of my iPhone 6, I'm going to pay about $ 380 for a 128 GB version.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

bigskygal

My iPhone 7 is just fine as far as my usage goes. Is the SE2020 the same size? I need a smaller phone that will fit in my vest pocket for my safety. This is just really curiosity because at some point I know the 7 will be obsolete for upgrades.

skb

Yes, it is the same size. The 12 Mini is a smaller size (same as iPhone 5)
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Sweety

Thank you everyone for the condolence messages. The Uncle was 87 years old and had bypass done last year. His son got the virus and he got it from him.

I was reading 119 and 116 for fasting yestreday and today.
Diabetic ?

Tamagno

171 this morning.

I'm not at all shy about asking doctors to clarify something they've said or asking them to talk slower; really, a huge part of their job is to communicate. I suspect they sometimes simply don't know the answer to my question.

Another pump occlusion this morning; at least I'm getting good at changing insertion sets while half asleep!

My G6 should be arriving today. It happens to coincide on the day I'm due to change my transmitter. Probably I'll go ahead and put in a new G5 transmitter and give myself time to read the G6 documentation, watch some YouTube instructional videos, etc. before I plunge into the G6. I am looking forward to it, though.

Also, I'll be seeing my endocrinologist this morning and will see if he's got any advice on all these occlusions. I'm not sure there's much beyond trying other sites (I've already tried several different types of insertion sets) but it's worth asking. The last occlusion was alarming as when I took the insertion set off, there was plenty of blood but no sign of the actual cannula. I don't know if it was never there or if it broke off in my abdomen - obviously I've been keeping an eye on that spot for signs of infection...

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

94 this morning.

skb - I don't know whether my hypothyroid condition is Hashimoto's or not.  I just know I have taken medication for it since I was 10 years old. I think it was diagnosed because as a child, I always moved slower than was considered normal and my Mother was concerned.

Tamagno - One tip on the G6 insertion process.  It is a much simpler process, but after you've pressed the orange button, leave the bulky application on the spot where you choose to insert it - just maybe 5-10 seconds until you will hear a soft click.  Lots of people on Facebook have complained about pulling the whole works out again.  But I never pulled one off - ever.  I think you will like the G6 as it is more accurate in my opinion.

Although I wear hearing aids to help me hear better, the aids can never take the place of normal and natural hearing.  You have to be able to know that something was said to you before you can 'hear' it and that's what I have trouble doing.  When I remove my hearing aids at night, my world is almost 100% silent.  I can barely hear the doorbell - should it ring.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

96 this morning.  Did a mix of chopped vegies, steak and shrimp on the Traeger last night and even tried a small portion of rice but it was really good. 
Yeah, the new iPhone SE2020 is the same size as the 7 and that is one of the things I like about it.  It is really like a small iPhone 11 without the fancier camera which doesn't bother me and the camera it has works really well. 
Tamagno, I hope the new G6 works well for you.  Maybe it will help with the problems you are having.
Grammabear, I know hearing problems can make it really hard to follow what someone is saying and when there is an accent it is even worse.  My FIL was hard of hearing and rather than admit that he didn't hear something he would just nod his head like he understood.  It may be difficult but I think it is important to let the other person know that you need them to slow down and speak up so you can understand them.  If they know you are having a problem they will probably be more understanding of your needs.  Otherwise they will just go on thinking you got it all.  Sometimes it is OK to not be nice and put your needs first.   :)
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

bigskygal

109 this drizzly morning.

40° was the high yesterdays, today's forecast is 54°/39° again with showers.

My report on the Conservas de Cambados Zamburinas - Small Scallops in Salsa Gallega from Amazon: not so good...the scallops were mushy though the oil they were in wasn't too bad. Ate half and tossed the rest. Coming Friday is some Spanish Chorizo that is keto friendly. Hope it is  better than the scallops were...

skb

103 today morning.

Surprised at that with all the vegetarian fare.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club