You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2020

Started by skb, December 31, 2019, 10:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grammabear

107 this morning.

As far as damage from high blood sugars, I once had a family doctor tell me that the pain in my feet was from nerves dying off and when the nerves were  'gone' the pain would also be gone.  He lied!  The nerves are not gone and the pain in the feet is not gone either.  He never once told me that I should keep my numbers under a certain figure.  He never told me about carb counting.  He did tell me to eat whatever I wanted as long as I covered it with insulin.  I never knew about LCHF until I met Shanny on another forum.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

Tamagno

178 this morning.

I'm feeling daring this morning and am having a slice of buttered toast for breakfast; glucose be damned.

While my endocrinologist does always take A1c, he spends more time looking at CGM/pump records - these are now integrated and give a much clearer picture of what you've been doing with eating, boluses and highs and lows.

As far as the effects of spikes either high or low and the amount of time either requires to do damage, it's an interesting question. One thing, however, is that it takes generally longer than a half hour for either one to develop as well as be resolved, though that varies by individual as well. Not so many years ago glucose was measured using a dipstick in urine that only read positive above 200 at which you'd be at risk for damage. Most of us are old enough to remember when childhood diabetes was considered a terrible diagnosis in terms of mortality and one reason was that getting accurate glucose readings was nearly impossible. Somewhere or other, there must be records from which it'd be possible to see if mortality rates among T1s have diminished, which would be expected.
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

walkerwally1

85 this morning.  Calm here today but on the other side of the mountains to the coast there are high winds and fire danger is high.  These are two fires there that started yesterday.  It is beginning to look like all year is now fire season.
Yeah, I imagine that it may be an individual factor how much and for how long high bg caused damage.  Jenny Ruhl in her research determined that damage occurs at 140 mg/dl I have never seen any mention of how long at over 140 does it take to cause any damage.  I am not aware of any studies that have been done to answer that. 
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

108 this sunny morning.

38° was the high yesterday, today's forecast is 39°/19°.

Interesting discussion re the damage done by high bg, it is kind of strange that no studies have been done to look into it. I suppose it is true that we all react differently as we are such unique beings.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

112 for the 3rd day in a row. Until I start working out regularly the number is not going to budge.

We're down to 60oF during the night if you can call that low.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

bigskygal

OK rant follows...

US members are you aware that now is the Medicare signup time...you may be eligible for more benefits..just call one of 65+ phone #'s they put up on the screen ...make sure you get everything you deserve... it is amazing my TV screen is still in one piece!  Arrgh! /rant

Do any of you really do this each year???

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

Tamagno

155 this morning.

BigSkyGal, figuring out what to do with Medicare and especially supplements was so confusing that we finally found a broker to do it for us. By the way, next time you have a claim, take a look at the EOB (Explanation of Benefits) that you'll get from Medicare and see if any of it makes sense.

As for high glucose damage, I'll just mention that I got neuropathy within a year following DX, but none of the other bad stuff. Which (if any) of the disease-related pathologies we acquire seems based on individual physiology and genetic structure.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

122 this morning.

BigSkyGal - I also found navigating Medicare a minefield, so my husband and I found a broker to do the research for us.  We have had the same plan since we first signed up back in 2015.  For us it works best this way.  And Yes, I agree, it is a wonder the TV is still in one piece having to listen to the baloney they talk about there.

Anyone here ever seen a rheumatologist?  My GP is sending me to see one early next year. 
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

Couldn't sign in earlier, apparently the site was down for a bit.
94 this morning.  Colder now with a high yesterday of 60° and an overnight low of 26°.  Right now at 8:00 AM it is 32° but it is supposed to get to 64° today.
I agree that the ads for Medicare insurance are overwhelming.  Not only on the TV but I get dozens of mailings for the same.  My Medicare supplemental insurance is part of my retirement benefits so I would not consider changing so I just ignore all of it.

Grammabear, I have never seen a rheumatologist but I don't think it is a problem for me.  If there was a reason I would not hesitate though.  I don't really know anything about rheumatism or what causes it.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

111 this sunny morning.

33° was yesterday's high, today's forecast is 39°/16°.

Yeah my medicare supplemental is from late DH's retirement as surviving spouse transferred to me. It is a Cadillac plan and I would never change it. The ads just grate on my nerves...2-3 each commercial break...Arggghh!

skb

Quote from: walkerwally1 on December 04, 2020, 11:21:33 AMCouldn't sign in earlier, apparently the site was down for a bit.

That's surprising because I don't have any emails about scheduled maintenance. Maybe a server glitch. It does happen.

102 today. At least it proves that the meter is working after seeing 112 for 3 days in a row. My first test displayed a 159. SO I washed my hands and retested as there was no reason that I could think of for the 159. 
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

skb

Well, there it is Wally. They must have mailed it to me last night.
You cannot view this attachment.

[attachment deleted by admin]
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Sweety

95 today and yesterday, both.
Diabetic ?

Grammabear

100 this morning.

Brrr....it is just 29 deg F today so far, that's cold.  Time to get out my warm socks.

Wally - My husband and I were watching the "Weather Channel" on satellite last night.  There was an entire hour devoted to the subject of wildfires.  They showed camera footage of one particular wildfire in 2018 that 'jumped' a highway (which I guess they did not expect) and how it impacted the people living in that area.  It also showed the devastation of homes lost after the wildfires were under control.  You could feel the emotions of the firefighters as well as the people fleeing the area when they evacuated.  It was one of the most interesting programs we have watched in recent days.  It gave an entirely different outlook rather than the ones you see on TV news at 5 and 10 p.m.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

Tamagno

156 this morning.

One big reason my wife has kept working is to maintain the commercial insurance from her job. However, each year it's gotten more expensive and deductibles/copays, etc. have grown with it. This coming year will be our first just on Medicare which ought to be a big savings for us - if we've chosen our supplemental plans wisely.