You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2020

Started by skb, December 31, 2019, 10:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grammabear

105 this morning.

Barbara - Very glad you are ok after the earthquake and Yes, it does take a long time for the nerves to calm down.  We had a minor quake where I live many years ago when my children were small.  It scared us all as we didn't know what to do when it happened.

Tamagno - I think there are a number of people in your current situation where technology is concerned.  My son had to spend considerable time making a connection between his son's school computer and his home computer.  Everyone talks about virtual learning, but the connections to make that happen are numerous.

Wally - How is your leg coming along since your dog caused you to fall?  Hope it is feeling a little better by now.

Spring is making its way to our area.  We have crocus flowers and jonquil flowers coming up.  Our lilac bushes are making little green buds and our rhubarb plants are also turning green.  Before long we will be mowing the grass again.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

88 this morning.  We had a high of 79° yesterday and it should be in the mid 70s through Saturday.  Temp. will drop on Sunday to the 60s and we have a chance of rain Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.  We could use that so I hope we get something out of it.
Barbara, I sure know what you went through.  I am glad that there wasn't any damage and you are OK.  We still have an after shock once in a while from the 7.2 we had but nothing serious. 
Tamagno, I am sure that it is a challenge to deal with the things necessary to set up a "work from home" system and have it compliant with another system.  I would hope that the hospital would have someone that could help.

Grammabear, my leg is doing a bit better but it is taking a long time to get back to normal.  I am still using my walker to get from room to room but I can take a few steps without it.  I am afraid it is going to be  a while before I can walk without any support. 
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

118 this mostly cloudy morning.

42° was the high yesterday with light snow most of the afternoon. None of it stayed around long. Today's forecast is 39°/21° again with small chance of snow.

I was fully expecting aftershocks and was pleasantly surprised when there were none. Maybe nearer the epicenter they had some, haven't seen anything about that yet.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

118 today morning.

I searched through the news for something on the earthquake, but there was nothing about it. Every item is dedicated to our latest guest the Covid-19.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Grammabear

114 this morning.

In the evening I like to have a snack of a measured amount of mixed nuts.  I weigh them out and only eat 28 grams.  Some hours later, according to my continuous glucose monitor, my blood glucose spikes to 140 or higher.  Does this happen to anyone else or have I missed the "memo" that said diabetic people should not eat nuts?
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

104 this morning.  I had a couple of Tater Tots last night so I deserve a higher number. 
It is still looking like a good chance of rain starting Monday and going through Wednesday.
SKB, maybe this will help with news on the earthquake :
https://www.krem.com/article/weather/explained-why-idaho-earthquakes-might-be-more-common-than-we-thought/293-47818049-7454-423a-aad4-b56a74bcc18b

It was in the neighboring state to Barbara but close enough to still be quite a shaker.  It is amazing how far the shock wave travels.

Grammabear, all nuts are not the same so I don't know what type of nuts you are eating.   I do well with about 30 grams of almonds or walnuts and don't see a rise in bg but other types of nuts can be a problem.   
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Tamagno

204 this morning.

I'm late this morning having spent most of the night dealing with nausea. I'm getting better, but it's largely a lost day.

Nuts (especially mixed nuts) will definitely kick up my glucose. There's a lot of fat in some of them, so the spike may come later, but I never consider them a good option.

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

Sigh - I guess I better find a new home for my container of mixed nuts...maybe my feathered friends would benefit from a portion of them on their feeder outside.  It seems like people with diabetes should not snack after supper at all. :(
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

bigskygal

108 this mostly cloudy morning.

40° was the high yesterday, today's forecast is 46°/24°.

Thanks for the link Wally. I live in that little "thumb" on the West side of MT so very close to the epicenter.

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

skb

Quote from: Grammabear on April 03, 2020, 09:57:18 AMSome hours later, according to my continuous glucose monitor, my blood glucose spikes to 140 or higher.

Diabetics will see a rise in BG after eating anything. The question is, what is the base level it rises from, or how big is the spike and how long it stays there?

Thanks for the link Wally, I saw the video clip on the site.

116 today morning.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Tamagno

85 this morning.

Seem to be back to normal this morning which is a great relief.

I'm afraid, Grammabear, that on a fundamental level SKB's right, vis, everything we eat turns to glucose at some point. The great thing for type 1s is getting basal rates, diets and boluses arranged to avoid highs and lows. While it'd be best to forgo evening snacks altogether, I inevitably need something to boost glucose just a bit overnight and have a before bed snack consisting of (feel free to laugh) a piece of cheese with just a small amount of peanut butter, a little pickle loaf and mayonnaise. Seems to do the trick most nights.

Seems like all my meals are planned with all of this in mind. In a way, my cancer has made it easier as I can eat very little at a time and a lot of standard carb-laden things like bread, chips and crackers, cookies and nuts I simply can't physically eat.

One other thing is that eating like this cuts way down on the amount of insulin I use which has its own set of benefits.

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

90 this morning.

Tamagno - I would not laugh at your evening snack - it even sounds delicious.  My husband and I have our evening meal quite early and we don't go to bed until after 10 p.m.  So, by the time I go to bed, my blood glucose sometimes sinks quite low.  My snack last night was one fourth of an Envy apple.  Blood glucose was stable, so maybe my portion control needs evaluation for other things.

Even the healthy foods for diabetics are sometimes scarce in the grocery store where we shop.  It is a bit concerning.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

88 this morning.  Nice this morning but it is supposed to get windy later today.  Still looks like a good chance of rain starting Sunday night.
I'm not sure that I see a rise in blood sugar when I eat anything, some things don't seem to have that effect, but something like nuts I am really aware of how many I have at a time.  30 grams or about one ounce seem to be fine for me but I have to take the right amount out of the bag and then put the bag away so I don't just keep eating more.  Portion control really does become important.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

Grammabear

Quote from: walkerwally1 on April 04, 2020, 11:33:35 AM88 this morning.  Nice this morning but it is supposed to get windy later today.  Still looks like a good chance of rain starting Sunday night.
I'm not sure that I see a rise in blood sugar when I eat anything, some things don't seem to have that effect, but something like nuts I am really aware of how many I have at a time.  30 grams or about one ounce seem to be fine for me but I have to take the right amount out of the bag and then put the bag away so I don't just keep eating more.  Portion control really does become important.

Wally, your comments regarding portion control remind me of a comment made by my then 5 year old autistic grandson - when he heard me comment about a blood sugar rise after eating bread.  He piped up and said, "Portion control Grandma, portion control."  He was playing on the floor and no one thought he was listening BUT he was and offered his comments.  I tried very hard not to laugh, even had to leave the room so I wouldn't hurt his feelings. 

Yep, portion control is important.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

bigskygal

107 this partly cloudy morning.

44° was the high yesterday, today's forecast is 48°/30°.

I don't eat nearly as much as I used to. My meals are smaller and I probably have 4 small meals/snacks during the 8 hours of the day that I eat. Since I live alone I can meal plan however I want to...