You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2020

Started by skb, December 31, 2019, 10:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigskygal

106 this partly cloudy morning.

64° was the high yesterday, today's forecast is 64°/37°.

MT had 0 new cases of the virus yesterday, only 2 on Wed and 0 on Tues. Looks like we are holding our own. I will still be staying in and wearing a mask when I go out. My daughter ordered me the same cloth masks her police dept wears for Mother's Day. They should arrive mid next week. The stupid ones I ordered from Amazon on April 4th still show delivery May 22 - June 15. Great work on the covid items on priority....

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Tamagno

63 this morning.

Probably the best audio books in terms of quality come from Audible via Amazon. Subscriptions are on the pricey side at around $15/mo. and buying them also not cheap with most costing $25+.

There are a couple of sites/apps (Libravox likely the best) where you can get them for free, but the readers are volunteers so the quality is iffy. Local libraries sometimes have them for free, but the selection and availability may not be great. If you can get used to it (I haven't yet) your device will read your e-books to you in a sort of robotic voice.

Some are actual theatrical productions with music and sound effects. I'm currently listening to some old BBC productions of Dorothy Sayers famous sleuth Lord Peter Wimsey which are fun in content and sound effects, etc.

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

93 this morning.

It is interesting to learn tips on what is good in audio books.  I can remember as a small child, my parents would listen to radio programs that they very much enjoyed.  I don't remember the name of the program, but it always ended with "Only the shadow knows".  My goodness, how far we've come from radio to tv to cell phones, which most everyone seems to have.

Has anyone tried retrograding rice or potatoes?  I cooked some brown rice for DH and put the extra in the refrigerator.  I would like to try a small spoonful, but feel it may really spike my blood sugar.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

104 this morning.  The weather outlook here is mostly the same each day for at least the next week.  Lots of sun and temps in the low to mid 90s, windy today and tomorrow though.
Grammabear, the radio show was " The Shadow".   ;D
I wrote about retrograding a while back.  I have had luck with both potatoes and rice but you still have to watch portions.  The only way to tell how you will be affected is to try it.  A small portion to start shouldn't cause you much of a problem. 
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

112 this mostly sunny morning.

62° was the high yesterday, today's forecast is 71°/42° shaping up to be a very nice day.

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

skb

117 today morning.

Weather-wise it's very hot and sweaty. I might have some audio books on my PC but most probably they'd be health related.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Tamagno

53 this morning.

Yesterday was our first grilling day of the season and it was fabulous - steak for my wife (I can't swallow steak) and a burger sans bun for me. Done over charcoal with apple wood for smoke it was just tremendous. With today's highs in the mid-70s, my wife's grilling a leg of lamb this evening (very fatty making it tender enough for me to get down). Should be great!

If you're an Amazon Prime member, you'll find also quite a few audio books there if you care to try them.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

walkerwally1

80 this morning.  We cooled down to a nice 88°  yesterday and it is supposed to be the same today but windy again.  Around here we are able to grill outside all year long but it is nicer in the summer months.  Going to do a Tri-tip roast on the Traeger today.   ~bbq~
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

124 this morning.

Yesterday we mowed our lawn for the first time this season.  It took us about 4-1/2 hrs and we were really tired afterwards.

We also had burgers and a salad for supper.  I must have misjudged the amount of carbs because I also had a '53' not too long after eating. 

Barbara - I also spend a lot of time on Amazon now because it seems like a safe alternative to going inside the store.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

bigskygal

110 this mostly cloudy morning.

69° was the high yesterday, had some rain overnight, today's forecast is 55°/32° so much cooler.

They opened up the irrigation ditch behind my house a couple of days ago. When that water is running, it backs up to fill the seasonal creek on the side of my house so now I have water on two sides of the house. And with the water comes the ducks, I have a pair that have discovered the bird seed I put out are have visited several times a day the last two days. I usually have several pairs over the summer and it is so cute when the babies hatch and go swimming behind mama.

Tamagno

89 this morning.

It's such fun having ducks around, BigSkyGal. Only once has one hung around this joint for very long, but maybe now that we don't have a dog they'll return.

Tri-tip on the Traeger sounds fantastic, Wally. Do you use a rub of some sort? Of course, with the smoke you may not even want it.

My wife grilled a leg of lamb yesterday (adding apple wood for smoke) that was great. We have a new Weber kettle this year that's a step up from the grill I'd been using which was a cheap kettle affair I'd bought originally for emergencies and wound up using all the time. The Weber is bigger and substantially deeper giving more consistent heat and a lot better control. I haven't tried it yet myself, but am really looking forward to it. Makes me wonder why people ever gave up cooking over fire in the first place...

Grammabear

93 this morning.

We have a bit older Weber grill and we enjoy cooking on it when our children come for a visit.  However my husband is reluctant to "fire up" the grill for just the two of us.  So I enjoy reading about other people who do get to enjoy food from the grill.

A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

82 this morning.  We got to a high of 89°  yesterday and it is supposed to be the same today then warming up to the mid to high 90s starting tomorrow.
Tamagno, the wood flavor is nice but we do experiment with different rubs also.  There are quite a variety of rubs out there so it's fun to try them out.
Grammabear, we are cooking for two here also but usually grill enough for 2-3 meals and reheat the left overs which come out quite well.  It makes fixing dinner during the week a lot easier.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

Grammabear

Quote from: walkerwally1 on May 04, 2020, 10:29:46 AM82 this morning.  We got to a high of 89°  yesterday and it is supposed to be the same today then warming up to the mid to high 90s starting tomorrow.
Tamagno, the wood flavor is nice but we do experiment with different rubs also.  There are quite a variety of rubs out there so it's fun to try them out.
Grammabear, we are cooking for two here also but usually grill enough for 2-3 meals and reheat the left overs which come out quite well.  It makes fixing dinner during the week a lot easier.

Wally - I agree with you 100%.  My husband is newly retired and has a list of things HE wants to do outside a mile long.  I suspect he will settle down one of these days and realize that tomorrow is another day hopefully.  I could point out to him what you mentioned in your last sentence.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

bigskygal

111 this mostly sunny morning.

55° was the high yesterday, today's forecast is 62°/35.

I wish I could grill outside, but I have a terrible yellowjacket problem. They build nests constantly inside the grill and are very aggressive.