You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2020

Started by skb, December 31, 2019, 10:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walkerwally1

Barbara, you don't set the temperature on the instant pot.  It adjusts it itself.  It steams a lot of things like vegies and a roast and it simmers things like a stew.  I think once you tried it you would like it.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

Quote from: walkerwally1 on January 20, 2020, 04:50:05 PMBarbara, you don't set the temperature on the instant pot.  It adjusts it itself.  It steams a lot of things like vegies and a roast and it simmers things like a stew.  I think once you tried it you would like it.

Wally - Is the instant pot a modern day version of the old fashioned pressure cooker?  You mentioned doing eggs in yours, were you referring to hard boiled eggs or soft cooked ones?  Is there anything you have prepared that you weren't particularly pleased with how it turned out?  I ask all these questions because my hubby will ask me if I mentioned yet another kitchen appliance.  :)
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

Tamagno

241 this morning.

I haven't found out much about instant pots beyond that people seem mostly to like them a lot. Now I'm looking at recipes to see how instant pot cooking varies things.

Which is to say, it's about 11 here this morning and not getting a lot warmer, so good staying in weather and I may as well poke around the net looking at pressure cookers.

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

104 this morning.

Here it is 8 deg F and that feels really cold and the wind is South at 4 mph.  I have a 1 week check up with the eye surgeon.  Hope it is good news.  Pain level is tolerable now.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

95 this morning.  I feel bad for those of you dealing with freezing temps.  Here it is in the mid 60s and is supposed to be 71° Saturday and Sunday. 
Grammabear, yes the Instant Pot is a pressure cooker with the added convenience of a timer and it regulates the temperature.  My eggs were hard boiled and you just put a cup of water in it and the eggs sit on a rack out of the water so they are steamed.  You can also do things like poached eggs and egg muffins so many ways to do eggs.  I have not had anything yet that didn't come out well. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

128 this cloudy morning.

The high yesterday was 39°. Forecast for today is 42° with overnight low 30°. A tiny bit warmer.

Wally, what model Instant Pot do you have? Mine is the Duo Nova 3 quart. One function of it is that you can use it as a slow cooker. I bought the glass lid to use that function. You are supposed to be able to set it to Low/Med/High just like regular slow cookers but I couldn't get that to set to anything but low. It was kind of frustrating. I also didn't find the instructions all that easy to understand. Maybe I was just having a bad day.

Hope you get good news at the dr Grammabear.

Off to the Gastroenterologist in a bit.

ETA: Well dang, my gastro's office just called and rescheduled me for next Thursday. I was just about to walk out the door. I was all psyched to get it over with...

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Tamagno

77 this morning.

Glad your feeling better, Grammabear! We're having much the same weather as you, vis, cold.

Instant pots look kind of fun, but I'm not quite sold based on how we'd use it. I am on the lookout for something to make as I'm getting tired of the same things. Just what that'll be, I don't know yet.

Anyway, so far today I'm quite late doing anything, so I'd best get myself in motion before I do anything else or make plans.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

143 this morning.

The news from the eye doctor was mostly good.  The right eye seems to be healing well, although a bit slow.  I have been trying to be diligent with my blood sugar numbers to aid in the healing process.  The Dr said that the 'scraping' of the cornea frequently takes longer than the cataract part of the surgery to heal.  Not sure what will transpire after he does the other eye or how well I can see if at all.  I see larger object quite well, but reading is a lost cause at this point.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

81 this morning.  It looks like it may be warming up a bit in the next few days but only a little bit.  Still, it would be nice to get into the 70s but for many of you that will be a ways away.
Grammabear, The lens used to replace your clouded cataract lens is not able to focus on near and far both.  Normally it is designed for distant vision so you can see well for most everything except close items like reading.  I still need glasses for reading and close work but I have 20/20 vision for everything else so things like driving I don't have to use glasses.
Tamagno, yeah you are right that you need to have a reason to get the Instant Pot and I never would have bought one because I did not see a need but because it was a gift I have found it is really good for some things. 
Barbara, it is not easy to cipher out the user manual for the Instant Pot sometimes.  I have the Duo Nova also but the 6 quart model but the control panel should be the same.  On the left above the Saute button is the slow cook button, I am sure that is what you used.  To set the temperature you just push the button again and you will see the light move from less to normal.  Push it again and it will move from normal to more and push it again and it will go back to less.  This is the same as low, medium and high and is like a slow cooker.  To set the time you push the + or - button to the desired time and then the pot will start.   Hope that helps.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

Grammabear

Quote from: walkerwally1 on January 22, 2020, 10:48:08 AMGrammabear, The lens used to replace your clouded cataract lens is not able to focus on near and far both.  Normally it is designed for distant vision so you can see well for most everything except close items like reading.  I still need glasses for reading and close work but I have 20/20 vision for everything else so things like driving I don't have to use glasses.

Wally - I understand that the lens used to replaced my clouded cataract lens is mainly for distance, however I had a 'corneal scraping surgery' in addition to the cataract surgery.  I have no clue about the healing timeline necessary for seeing things like television or driving.  I have yet to encounter anyone having cataract surgery who also had the scraping part.  What I had isn't rare, I just haven't met anyone else who had it done.  I know the first 4-5 days after surgery were pure agony.  I expected pain, but not to this extent.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

bigskygal

109 this partly cloudy morning.

39° was the high yesterday. today is warmer, forecast high is 43° and overnight low 31°.

I'm sorry you are having such problems with your surgery Grammabear. I am terrible with anything near my eyes, thank goodness my eye dr said no problems with cataracts here. I don't know if I could go through it.

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

Tamagno

104 this morning.

Based on purely anecdotal information, Grammabear, I believe eye surgeries generally are slow to heal. All said and done, while your vision will be different, likely it'll be better.

Still quite cold here; I begin to doubt the wisdom of checking weather apps every morning. They've been reasonably accurate, just most all the same.

Grammabear

133 this morning.

Tamagno - I agree with your conclusion about weather apps.  I have several on my phone, and I am thinking that I don't need that many.  My current favorite is The Weather Channel.  What ones do you like?

Does anyone use an 'app' that they really enjoy for maybe whatever reason?  I am weary of these apps that just take up space on the phone.  Looking for something useful.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

89 this morning.  It is supposed to be warming up here and be in the low 70s this weekend.  I have found that the Weather Channel it the most accurate for here but it can vary.  I don't use a lot of apps on my phone and usually am using my desktop computer.  I do have an app for the bg meter that connects to the meter and keeps a record of my readings that I can print.  I also use the fitbit app to connect to the fitbit. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

bigskygal

120 this cloudy morning.

Again, 39° was the high for the day yesterday, three days in a row. Today's forecast is 44° with overnight of 30°.

I use the Weather Channel app on my phone and AccuWeather on the laptop. The Weather Channel one is usually the closest to what my weather ends up being.

My darn Gastroenterologist changed my appointment again! Now I see him on Monday. Rather annoying...