You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2020

Started by skb, December 31, 2019, 10:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walkerwally1

I have had the Shingles vaccine and I would advise anyone to get it.  I had shingles and I wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy.  I had it on my face and it got into my eye and that can cause vision loss but I was able to avoid that.  It was a very painful experience.  That was before I had ever heard of a shot for it and my doctor then never brought it up.  Because it can happen again even after you had it I got the shot when my current doctor warned me that you can have it again.  Last year I got the newer Shingrex shot that you get in two doses as it is even better than the older shingles shot.  I also get a flu shot every year.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

skb

100 today morning.

I've started working from out of home for a couple of hours ever day now. Let's hope by Aug we'll be closer to the old normal if not completely back to it.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Tamagno

98 this morning.

Actually, I'm glad to see the discussion of the shingles vaccine about which I was unaware (of course, I also can't remember if I had the precipitating illness as a child either), but have known enough people who've had shingles to know it's definitely something you don't want. I'm going to ask my PCP about it next time I see him.

Tonight, I'm grilling squirrel - yes, it does taste a lot like chicken - but I've always had it in a stew previously. I've got my current batch in a marinade since yesterday and am looking forward to it.

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

137 this morning - after an equipment failure  >:(

Shingles are most disgusting ailment.  I have had them 3 times and the first time was the worst.  Absolutely no relief from the pain and itching.  If you can take the shingle shot, go for it.  My husband took the shot and so far he has avoided getting shingles.  I cannot take the shot because I am allergic to one of the 'inert' ingredients.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

94 this morning.  Our high yesterday was 96°  and it looks like we will break through the 100°  mark on the weekend.  Really nice in the morning but much better inside in the afternoon.
You are susceptible to shingles if you had chicken pox as apparently the virus stays with you forever and is like a ticking time bomb.  If you never had chicken pox then you don't have to worry about it except someone who is going through the breakout of shingles can pass it on and infect someone else. 
Grammabear, I wonder if you may be able to tolerate the new Shingerx shot ? 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

109 this mostly sunny morning.

65° was yesterday's high, today's forecast is 75°/44°, looks to be a nice day.

I had a very light case of chicken pox as a child...light enough to get it again when my kids got it and that was miserable. I guess I'll see if I can get my local pharmacy to get the vaccine. I won't go up to town just to get it. Jury is out on the flu shot.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Grammabear

134 this morning - after a unnecessary indiscretion of several small cookies that were loaded with carbs. 

I will check out the new shingles shot.  It would sure beat getting shingles - again.

Amazon shopping is way more convenient than tracking through the stores and maybe not finding what you need anyway.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

85 this morning.  Weather here is quite nice right now and very summery without being way too hot.  That will probably change though as August is usually the hottest.

Grammabear, not sure if it makes a difference but it seems worth checking out.  The new Shingrix shot is said to be 95% effective whereas the older one was about 60% effective so is worth getting it even if someone had the old shot. 

Missing Tamagno, hope he is OK.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

bigskygal

113 this sunny morning.

72° was the high yesterday, today looks to be warmer with forecast of 82°/51°.

Missing Tamagno too, he usually post really early. Hope he is OK.

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

skb

102 today morning.

Finally we've had 2 days of intense rain. Things have cooled down a bit literally.

I hope everything well with John.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Tamagno

160 this morning.

Sorry to have missed you all yesterday! It was one of those awful sick days during which it seemed most everything hurt and I couldn't stay awake. Fortunately, so far I seem much, much better.

Wishing all Americans a happy July 4th. Of course, I'd planned on starting drinking adult beverages early, but given how I felt yesterday I figure I'd best not...

I don't know if it would help with the shingles vaccine, but I'm happy to report that the "GoodRX" app works for finding prescription prices and that pharmacies do indeed take their savings coupons. Last time I used it (Walmart pharmacy) I saved over $70.
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

124 this morning.

Happy 4th of July to everyone.

I've seen the GoodRX advertisement on television.  Had no idea it actually works.

Hope you continue to feel better Tamagno.

Skb - How long is your monsoon season?  Also, what follows that season?  Is it mild in temperature then?
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

skb

The monsoons will last until end of September. Mumbai has a pretty mild temperature the year round. There is a slight chill from December to end of February. Nothing that a light sweater or cardigan cannot handle.

John, glad to see that see that you are well.

A Happy 4th July to all friends.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

walkerwally1

81 this morning.  We are supposed to break through the 100°  mark today with a high of 105°  and right around there for the next few days.
Tamagno, glad to hear from you. Hope you are doing better.
I think my Medicare part D prescription insurance covered the shingles shot but I know I didn't have to pat anything.  I have pretty good prescription coverage but Good RX looks like a good choice for something that is not covered.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

bigskygal

106 this mostly sunny morning.

Happy 4th of July all!

79° was the high yesterday today's forecast is 78°/48°.

Glad you are feeling better John.

Well, kitty seems to have disappeared again. Lately he has been lounging on the front deck most afternoons. Yesterday he didn't come for his afternoon meal and this morning a no show for breakfast. It is especially unusual that he didn't come for breakfast. It has been very quiet as my next door neighbors have been gone to the Oregon coast for a week so nothing I know of scared him...