You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2020

Started by skb, December 31, 2019, 10:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skb

Quote from: Grammabear on July 08, 2020, 10:21:20 AMDo they ever fall from the tree and damage your car or your home?

And sometimes a skull  ;D . Cars have happened and I have been missed twice I think.

113 today morning.

Wally the Libre is a good idea. Almost a CGM. The patches would be expensive so if it can be covered by Insurance, nothing like it.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Tamagno

54 this morning.

As for coconuts, I love the fruit fresh and the fluid that comes with it; curiously, however, probably the only food I can't abide is dried, shredded coconut (okay, I've never had durian or some similarly exotic stuff).

I think if I were a manufacturer of test strips I'd think there was a cabal against me, Wally. Devices like the Libre are coming fast and the latest iteration of Dexcom CGMs requires no finger stick for calibration. Still, I know my CGM readings are often substantially inaccurate and look at, for example, my Fitbit heartbeat and sleep times with a substantially jaundiced eye. I suppose in the end really precise measuring is an impossibility in most all instances regardless of the device employed.

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

116 this morning (Dexcom said 114).

As much as I like my Dexcom G6, I do look at the readings with a very critical eye.  Tandem's latest pump, the Control IQ, depends on the readings from the Dexcom for accurate insulin delivery.  I have read mostly good things about the Control IQ, but I have also read not so flattering reviews.  I have to think long and hard for this one.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

97 this morning.  We got to 101°  yesterday and it is going to start warming up from there.  Today 104°  and then 110° + over the weekend.

The Freestyle Libre looks like it would be useful but my RX insurance does not cover any testing supplies and apparently Medicare will only cover this type of device for someone that is using insulin.  The sensors are for 14 days so it takes two a month so the cost is around $110 a month without insurance.  Unlike test strips they are only available with a prescription and through diabetic suppliers and pharmacies.   
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

102 this sunny morning.

73° was the high yesterday, today's forecast is 82°/53°.

Tomorrow is errand day, I'm kind of dreading it but I have to pay bills from the PO box. I won't be going out again until my Gastroenterologist appt on the 27th.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

112 today morning.

$110/- is a lot of money for a regular monthly expense. I wonder what it would cost in India. When I tried to search in the local Amazon I couldn't get a quote. Maybe the company is selling direct only. 
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

walkerwally1

80 this morning.  We got up to 103°  yesterday and it is going to get hotter for the next few days with around 110-112° over the weekend.  Typical July in the desert.

Yeah it is a bit expensive if insurance doesn't cover it.  It is not easy to get pricing.  In the USA they are only available with a prescription so you have to get them from a pharmacy or diabetic supply.  Not something you can get on Amazon.  I had to have my doctor send a prescription to the pharmacy to get pricing information.  I don't know why they make it so hard. My RX insurance doesn't cover testing equipment and Medicare only covers this for someone using insulin and injecting at least 3 times a day and testing at least 4 times a day.  They apparently thing the rest of us don't need to bother with knowing what our blood sugar is doing.  As a rule I test about 4 times a day now just to see where I am but Medicare believer that I don't need to test more than twice so that is all they will pay for.   I am spending about $30 a month for additional test strips.  I might try it just to avoid having to finger stick all the time.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

Quote from: walkerwally1 on July 09, 2020, 10:43:31 AM97 this morning.  We got to 101°  yesterday and it is going to start warming up from there.  Today 104°  and then 110° + over the weekend.

The Freestyle Libre looks like it would be useful but my RX insurance does not cover any testing supplies and apparently Medicare will only cover this type of device for someone that is using insulin.  The sensors are for 14 days so it takes two a month so the cost is around $110 a month without insurance.  Unlike test strips they are only available with a prescription and through diabetic suppliers and pharmacies. 

106 this morning.

Wally - Should you decide to pursue the Libre further, you might want to research this online place.  You do have to have a prescription from this place, and I have used them to purchase extra supplies, out of pocket for when I needed them.  Just be sure if you order, that you are getting the '14' day Libre and not the earlier version.  Also, you need the reader, a one time only purchase, to be able to use the Libre sensors.

https://www.adwdiabetes.com/category/continuous-glucose-monitoring
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

bigskygal

98 this mostly sunny morning.

76° was the high yesterday, today's forecast is 80°/48°.

Went out early to get my errands done. Totally pooped out now. I was dismayed at how few people were wearing masks in public. We've had horrendous spikes in cases. Yesterday was highest new case count ever at 127! A nursing home on the other side of the state had 44 patients and 15 staff test positive. My county has had 38 cases with 2 new yesterday. Missoula County, just north of me has 123 cases. That is where my doctors are and I really dread having to go up there at the end of the month...

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

Grammabear

Quote from: bigskygal on July 10, 2020, 05:08:13 PM98 this mostly sunny morning.

76° was the high yesterday, today's forecast is 80°/48°.

Went out early to get my errands done. Totally pooped out now. I was dismayed at how few people were wearing masks in public. We've had horrendous spikes in cases. Yesterday was highest new case count ever at 127! A nursing home on the other side of the state had 44 patients and 15 staff test positive. My county has had 38 cases with 2 new yesterday. Missoula County, just north of me has 123 cases. That is where my doctors are and I really dread having to go up there at the end of the month...

I can understand your frustration at seeing so few people wearing masks.  It is the same here, except at the grocery store - where you wear a mask or you cannot come in.  However I did see a man enter without a mask and he was carrying a small child.

I have an appointment in September and they are making me come into the office and our county has on average 7-10 new cases per day.  We already have 675 positive cases.

Take it easy this evening.  Maybe Kitty will drop by for his evening meal.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

skb

118 today.

With the relaxation in rules people do go crazy. Mumbai at times has traffic snarls as bad as before the covid times. Our state government is going in for another enforced lockdown for 4 cities. Looks like that is going to be in place for the next 10 days.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Grammabear

122 this morning.

skb - Does your government tell you that everything is under control and that Covid19 is being 'managed'?  That is what we are hearing here in the U.S.  I don't believe it because if things were 'managed' there might not be so many new cases and deaths each day.

Today is 73 deg F with a 40% chance of rain.  We need rain so bad.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

86 this morning.  We got to 104° yesterday and it is supposed to get to 110° today and I believe that as we were at 80°  at 5:30 AM.
The Federal government (AKA the President) is trying to say the virus is under control but local government is often being more realistic.  In California the Governor is sticking to the facts but we are seeing a significant increase in cases.  A lot of people  are ignoring warnings and the result is more people infected.  Here locally there seems to be a pretty good percentage doing all of the right things but some still refuse. 
Grammabear, I checked the seller you pointed to and their cost for just one sensor was $95 which is almost double what they are from Walgreens so maybe they are good for other things but not these.  Another thing I found out is that you don't have to get their reader, your phone works just as well with their app.  They kind of bury this information on their website.  I got the sensors and I am going to try them out starting today.
No Tamagno yesterday or today, hope he is OK.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

Grammabear

Quote from: walkerwally1 on July 11, 2020, 11:01:13 AM86 this morning.  We got to 104° yesterday and it is supposed to get to 110° today and I believe that as we were at 80°  at 5:30 AM.
The Federal government (AKA the President) is trying to say the virus is under control but local government is often being more realistic.  In California the Governor is sticking to the facts but we are seeing a significant increase in cases.  A lot of people  are ignoring warnings and the result is more people infected.  Here locally there seems to be a pretty good percentage doing all of the right things but some still refuse. 
Grammabear, I checked the seller you pointed to and their cost for just one sensor was $95 which is almost double what they are from Walgreens so maybe they are good for other things but not these.  Another thing I found out is that you don't have to get their reader, your phone works just as well with their app.  They kind of bury this information on their website.  I got the sensors and I am going to try them out starting today.
No Tamagno yesterday or today, hope he is OK.

Wally - I am glad you were able to research the prices for the Libre sensor.  Also, it is super that you don't have to purchase the reader.  To be honest, I have really considered getting the Libre because of the 14 day lifespan and because many times I have issues trying to get Dexcom G6 sensors.  I really hope the Libre works well for you and you don't have to stick your fingers very often.  Do let us know, if you have time, how it goes for you.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

bigskygal

92 this sunny morning.

76° was the high yesterday, today's forecast is 89°/53°.

Yes, Grammabear, Kitty came for his afternoon feeding and proceeded to stretch out on the deck and sun himself for a couple of hours. Put a well needed smile on my face every time I saw him.

Oh dear, I hope Tamagno is OK.