You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2020

Started by skb, December 31, 2019, 10:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grammabear

Quote from: bigskygal on July 11, 2020, 02:48:50 PM92 this sunny morning.

76° was the high yesterday, today's forecast is 89°/53°.

Yes, Grammabear, Kitty came for his afternoon feeding and proceeded to stretch out on the deck and sun himself for a couple of hours. Put a well needed smile on my face every time I saw him.

Oh dear, I hope Tamagno is OK.

I'm pleased you have a smile on your face from seeing Kitty again.  He is lucky to have such a loving place to rest.

I, too, hope Tamagno is alright.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

skb

I got up a little early today and forgot to test FBG. I remembered after I had had a tea and a cookie (both SF) but I still checked just to know where I would be. Turned out to be a 119 which is quite OK in my book.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Sweety

Hello,

I've not been regular on the forum. Sorry about that.
Today I checked my number and it was 132. So I decided to log in and be back with my friends here again to take control. I will try to be regular in the future.
Diabetic ?

Grammabear

105 this morning.

Several weeks ago I had lab work done at my doctor's office.  I thought it was just for an A1C because that is what my doctor said it was for.  However, once the results came back, I found out that a cholesterol test was done as were a few other tests.  No one ever mentioned the cholesterol test should have been fasting.  I am severely allergic to all statin drugs, having tried them all and reacted poorly to all I have tried.  Why in the world I was tested for cholesterol I will never know.  Now the doctor is insisting on a "in person" appointment come September to discuss these results.  I am clearly NOT happy about the underhanded way they went about testing me for cholesterol.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

79 this morning.  We hit a high of 108° yesterday and probably it will get to 110° today but it should start to cool down a bit next week but still over 100°.

Hi Sweety, good to hear from you and hope you can check in once in a while.  It can be a challenge sometimes to keep bg in line but if there is anything we can do to help let us know.
 I have used the Freestyle Libre for one day and there are some things I like about it so far.  It is really easy to get a reading and you can do it as many times as you want so it gives you a much better view of how your bg is doing over time.  I was comparing the result with my Contour Next bg meter and was not happy that the readings were not that close.  After reading on their website I found that there is a lag between the two readings and sure enough if I took a Freestyle reading and then took a bg meter reading about 10 min. later they were very close so that cleared up one thing.    According to Freestyle :
Instead of taking glucose readings from your blood, CGM sensor glucose readings are taken from the interstitial fluid (ISF), a thin layer of fluid that surrounds the cells of the tissues below your skin. Blood glucose readings tend to be about 5 to 10 minutes ahead of interstitial glucose readings. For most treatment decisions, sensor readings from the FreeStyle Libre 14 day system can replace fingerstick readings.*

Grammabear, I don't know if the Freestyle Libre would work as a replacement for your CGM.  They do call this a CGM but it has no alarm and does not keep a constant record.  It only records a reading when you scan so it would do no good to alert you like when you are sleeping.  On their website they say :

WARNINGS/LIMITATIONS*: The System must not be used with automated insulin dosing (AID) systems, including closed loop and insulin suspend systems

I am guessing they are referring to an insulin pump but I don't know for sure. 

Starting to worry about Tamagno.  He has been absent for a couple of days now.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

Wally - I think you're right about the Libre replacing the Dexcom G6.  I got woke up at 4 a.m. today for a "low blood sugar" reading of 70.  When I looked at the face of my Dexcom receiver, it had an arrow going down - which meant my blood sugar was heading lower than 70.  The alerts are most annoying, but the system is doing what it is supposed to do.  I think you are also right about the Libre not being used with an insulin pump closed loop system.  The latest version of Tandem's pump, the Control IQ, depends on the G6 to tell it if someone is going low and then it suspends insulin delivery temporarily.  I am due for a new pump this Fall, and I am not sure at all IF I want to be involved with a smart pump.  I like my pump the way it is right now - kinda dumb.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

bigskygal

101 this partly cloudy morning.

Yesterday's high was 80°, today's forecast is 78°/48°. It feels much cooler because of the clouds.

I too am worried about Tamagno.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

Quote from: walkerwally1 on July 12, 2020, 10:47:20 AMBlood glucose readings tend to be about 5 to 10 minutes ahead of interstitial glucose readings.

I didn't know that and glad to have learnt something new today.

I forgot to check upon waking up and checked BG after my tea and cookie. 121 today. Sort of within range. A CGM not connected to the pump would have no meaning in a system. It is a good stand alone gadget and is intended for use mainly by T2s or T1s not pumping.

I hope John is OK. Last week also he had some episode and didn't post for a day. Haven't heard anything from Shanny's son in a while. I think I'll ping him today.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

skb

Quote from: Sweety on July 12, 2020, 01:35:58 AMHello,

I've not been regular on the forum. Sorry about that.
Today I checked my number and it was 132. So I decided to log in and be back with my friends here again to take control. I will try to be regular in the future.

Welcome back Sweety.
Was that a fasting test and have you tested again. It's always good to see a pattern rather than base anything on a single reading. We hope to see you quite often and hope that all is well at your end with the Covid thing.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Grammabear

100 this morning.

I am using the Dexcom G6 which can be part of the system OR a stand alone gadget.  My G6 is not connected to my pump.  I have used a stand alone system for almost 12 years.  Some of that time I was using MDI and the rest of the time I was using a insulin pump.  The G6 is essential to the CIQ system from Tandem.  The Libre is also a good stand alone gadget because there are people that grow weary of the 'alerts' from the Dexcom system.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

91 this morning.  We did hit 110° yesterday and probably the same today then cooling down just a bit to 105° for the next 10 days.  It may not seem like much of a cool down but the difference between 110° and 105° is noticeable.

I am learning each day as I use the Libre and the most interesting is how my bg runs over 24 hours.  It is so easy to check the level that I have been checking each hour or 1/2 hour and I have learned quite a bit compared to just a finger stick 3-4 times a day.  I was wrong about a couple of things, one being that the sensor does have a memory and while it doesn't show the number except when canned it produces a line graph.  I am surprised to see how low I go around the middle of the night until wake up.  I get down to the high 60s and then upon waking it goes up, dawn phenomenon I believe, and the fasting test does not show what you were before you tested.  Is is not earth shattering but it is interesting.
I also saw on their website that a new model sensor is going to be available that will have an alarm function for low bg. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

99 this sunny morning.

79° was yesterday's high, today's forecast is 75°/44°.

Wally, sounds like it is very interesting to be able d=to do all those readings poke free. My rx service wouldn't cover it and those sensors sound awfully expensive. Is dmedicare covering it or your insurance?

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

walkerwally1

Quote from: bigskygal on July 13, 2020, 02:35:35 PM99 this sunny morning.

79° was yesterday's high, today's forecast is 75°/44°.

Wally, sounds like it is very interesting to be able d=to do all those readings poke free. My rx service wouldn't cover it and those sensors sound awfully expensive. Is dmedicare covering it or your insurance?

No, my RX insurance will not cover it and Medicare also will not cover it except for those who are using insulin and testing at least 4 times a day.  They don't think any one else needs to test more than once a day.  It is expensive but I wanted to try it out and the first order was for 7 sensors so that will be for 14 weeks.  I'll have to see how I feel about it then.  It is quite interesting right now and gives you a lot better idea of how your bg runs between the times you ordinarily check. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

Grammabear

I think anyone, whether they are Type 1 or Type 2, and is interested enough to want to do a good job of managing their blood sugar should have access to test strips and/or cgm's.  After all, it helps to keep the person with diabetes a lot more healthy and free of complications maybe.  I once had a diabetologist tell me that I only needed to test twice a day and also did not need insulin but twice a day also. 

A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

bigskygal

When my late DH was diagnosed with diabetes in the early 90's his dr wanted him to test once a day and take 1 unit of insulin. Period. Those were indeed the dark ages... DH refused to do any of it unless I did the test on him and gave him the shot...which I did. Things have sure changed since then.

I have very good rx coverage and get however many strips my pcp will prescribe. Right now it is 400 for a 3 month period which I pay $2 for. Yeah, Cadillac coverage, not through Medicare. But they would never cover the Libre or sensors.