You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Am I diabetic

Started by Sweety, April 27, 2016, 05:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweety

I went to the lab today and got my tests done. In the early morning before eating anything they got my sugar at 97 and asked me to return 2 hours after my breakfast. They asked me to eat well, which I did.
The reading after the meal was 146.

So am I diabetic ? The reports were told to me by the lab technician. I have to see my doctor on Saturday. Other reports will be available only tomorrow afternoon.
Diabetic ?

skb

Hi Sweety,

I moved this post away from your Introductory thread. I think it deserves to be separated from that discussion. In my opinion a true non-diabetic will not report numbers over 120 at 2 hours after a meal. I would put you at high risk of developing diabetes, if not already one. Making changes to your dietary habits should be a good way to start. Do read from the articles that are linked in the Top Header.

Even so, let's wait for your doctor's opinion, before you decide to take any action.

~wcm~ to the club that no one really wants to join.

No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

starsign

Sweety,

Whatever the outcome, here's wishing you the very best.
  ~bwh~
Partner of a Diabetic T2

Timewise

Only your doctor will know for sure and he should/may do further tests to determine what type of diabetic you are!   

We can only share our experiences, not act as Physicians.

Sweety

I've been promoted from prediabetic to borderline diabetic.  ~hlp~
Met the doctor with reports early today morning. My glycated Hgb has come at 6.1 and wait, there's more bad news. Doctor said he thinks I have fat on my liver, so he advised me to cook with minimum possible oil. I don't know what should be the next step for me. What do you people have to say.
Diabetic ?

skb

Sweety,

The glycated hemoglobin is the A1c test. For more information you should read our website article on Blood Tests. We also have the conversion calculators on the top of our right panel. Feeding in your figure of 6.1 A1c, I get an average blood sugar of 140 mg/dl. If the average is a 140, it is fair to assume that you are swaying between say 100 - 180. Those numbers are surely diabetic. If I were you, I'd dump the "pre" & "borderline" tags by the wayside & get to the serious business of controlling my blood sugar.

Another thing that you need to understand is that the excessive glucose from diet (through conversion of carbs) gets converted into fats. These are the fats that accumulate on the liver and elsewhere. Carb consumption is the no. 1 cause of Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. I will search for the links to some studies that corroborate this. I would definitely suggest to read more on LCHF and take that up as your new dietary regime.

We have all gone through what you are undergoing and were also very sceptical in the beginning. There are countless success stories that I know of. So don't worry, read a lot & arm yourself with information. Good Luck.
~tup~
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

starsign

Sweety if you read read the Fasting BS topic, I've written of morning blood sugar dropping from 190s into 110-120 within days of stopping carbs. We've given up eating rice completely, and the results were immediate. Listen to what these people have to say. Do your own research, but keep your mind open to all suggestions.
Partner of a Diabetic T2

Sweety

Thank you. I am reading as we speak.
Diabetic ?

RCG

Yes, you are.

Welcome.

There is a lot of wisdom and experience here, so stick with us.

Sweety

Thank you RCG. I have come to accept that fact, but I'm really very worried about the future. I have a small daughter who is still in school. The information that I'm going through is very conflicting and I don't know who to turn to. Doctor has prescribed some glucomet & vitamin d pills for the time being. Should i take them ? I see that many here are not taking any medication and yet are able to control their diabetes.
Diabetic ?

skb

Diabetes is not a death sentence so please relax. We have successfully managed our blood sugar just with diet alone, but you should do it with whatever means available to you. Manage you must, even if needs to be done with the help of a few pills. Metformin (glucomet) has been around for decades and is being used by millions across the world without any ill effects. Once your numbers are stable you can look at further options.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

patdart

Yes, take them.  Go back and read BS101 and believe what she has to say.  No need to be worried about the future if you follow her advice and most of ours!  :)  It will be fine.

Have faith...

bigskygal

Sweety, it is OK to take meds to start out with or even forever if needed. What is important is to follow the lc/hf way of eating very strictly in the beginning to get your bg down to better ranges. (The secret to this success is the high fat in the way of eating.)  You need to let your body adjusted to the new numbers and that takes time.

At some point you may be able to lower your meds and eventually may be able to drop them altogether. If not, there is no shame in continuing to take them.

Best of luck to you!

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

BobIA41

bigskygal is correct.  I was diagnosed in Oct, 2003 with type 2 diabetes and started on two oral medication.  My bloog glucose dropped some and then by reducing carbs, had more decrease.  Yet, I still was in the upper 100's and could not bring it down.  In Jan 2004, I had a good talk with my doctor and he agreed to change me to insulin.  I take both basal and bolus and have had good numbers and A1c until the last few months when I developed an infection which drove my numbers up. 

Having cataracts hasn't helped and after the first operation, my numbers are back down near where I like to keep them. 

The endocrinologist wanted to move me to type 1, but I was still producing too much insulin on my own and did not have the antibodies type 1's have.  He then wanted to test me for the other types and when he found out that I had diabetes for over five years at the time, that ruled out LADA.  He did one of MODY tests, but gave up on the rest of the MODY tests when that came back negative. 

I am just happy that I am on insulin and can manage my blood glucose numbers more effectively than I would on oral medications.  I do not use a pump and do multiple daily injections (MDI). 
Bob

starsign

Hi sweetly,
As a new comer to this place and diabetes I'm also finding it a bit difficult to grasp everything all at once. But we are trying. I can tell you this, my partner's health has improved a lot since we made small changes to our food patterns based on the advice here. He used to wake up a minimum of three times a night to urinate. Now he sleeps 6-7 hours at a stretch without fail.

I'm certain this site will help you too, you'll need to be a little bold and trust them. There's no harm in trying for a few days. Whatever you decide we wish you the best.
Partner of a Diabetic T2