You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Constipation

Started by starsign, April 29, 2016, 03:09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

starsign

We've been reading, learning and changing our food habits. Started real low carb eating only 3 days ago. But both of us are very badly constipated. Since this happened to us together, we feel that the eating has something to do with it and not some infection.
~mad~
Partner of a Diabetic T2

skb

Although I've never faced this problem, I've heard from a few people who have digestive tract issues when starting LCHF. Basically it's your body's adjustment phase. You are changing a food habit inculcated over decades. It's fair to accept some resistance. From your BG fasting posts, I gather that you are on a high(er) protein diet. Add the high fat part & things should (dis)solve in a couple of days.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Timewise

Last May when I started LCHF i did have some minor problems with constipation.  After doing some research I did two things....increased my water intake substantially and increased my fat intake!  And decrease any alcohol consumption you may be drinking as this tends to dehydrate you. This solved the problem within a few days.

If not go to the drug store and get some stool softeners!  Take according to the instructions.   

Shanny

I think Timewise has nailed the solution . . . more fluids and more fats. I battled constipation for 65 years until I went on LCHF, and it's never been a problem since then.

Sweety

Being more hydrated sounds like a good idea. Higher fats I'm not so sure, but I'm nobody to say that.
Diabetic ?

Timewise

Sweety....
You need to read and understand Blood Sugar 101 website!  There you will learn and understand why fats are essential to managing you health.   Also, you will learn that it is excessive carbohydrates that turn to fat within our bodies and are stored in our livers, bellies, butts, etc.   If you truely want to get healthy, learn about eating  Low Carb High Fat.....or move on!

patdart

It's not a new problem for me,  but I take Miralax for mine.  I was taking MOM tablets, but my magnesium level was high according to the rehab nurse, so they changed me.  It might be my diet, but if so, it's been that way most/all of my life.  Oh, and high fiber makes mine worse.

Good luck,

starsign

Thanks everyone. Things have eased up a little  ;D
The problem may be temporary as suggested. Right now our approach is wait and watch.
Partner of a Diabetic T2

skb

That's the right approach. I'm sure you will see good results soon.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

starsign

I'm out of the woods  ~tku~
My partner is not, but he does have 3 drinks almost every night. I've suggested that he lay off for a few days.
Partner of a Diabetic T2

Sweety

Star sign,
For me the problem is the other way around. Have been taking several trips to the toilet since I started with my medication
Diabetic ?

skb

If you are taking regular metformin, please ask your doctor for the XR or SR (extended release or slow release) versions. They are more softer on the gastric system.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

foxl

1) Magnesium citrate, 400 mg at night.
2) a good bacterial probiotic
3) a YEAST probiotic:  Saccharomyces boulardii  <<< This stuff is my absolute SALVATION!

Of course also drink plenty of water.  This diet can be VERY high in oxalates, which can predispose to kidney stones!   :o

starsign

Thank you everyone for all your replies. I'm happy to say that this phase was temporary. Phew. Can I say things have smoothened out  ~lol~
Partner of a Diabetic T2

Sweety

Quote from: skb on May 07, 2016, 09:40:57 AM
If you are taking regular metformin, please ask your doctor for the XR or SR (extended release or slow release) versions. They are more softer on the gastric system.

I did that. Didn't ask the doctor, just got it from the chemist.
Diabetic ?