You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting and immunity

Started by skb, February 08, 2022, 10:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skb

QuoteVoluntary fasting, for example interval fasting, is beneficial to health for many people, depending on their individual condition. For example, controlled periods of starvation can prevent and improve diseases such as diabetes and obesity. Researchers have now found that the immune system plays an important role in ensuring the positive effects of fasting on our bodies. The new findings will help develop more effective therapies based on fasting.

Article
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

walkerwally1

I am not sure what is considered fasting.  For example, I usually have dinner around 5:30 PM and I don't usually have anything for breakfast and have lunch around 11:30 AM so about 18 hours between meals.  Is this fasting ? 
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

Yes, Wally, that is a form of fasting. It is called Intermittent fasting. You only eat during a certain block of time and fast the rest of the day. It has nothing to do with what type of food you eat, just the time blocks.

I do this, I only eat between 9AM and 6PM. Though I try to keep within the LC/HF way of eating. 

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%  A1c 6/12  5.7%  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16
12/16 5.1%  6/18 5.3%  6/19 5.7%  6/20 5.7%  7/21 5.2%  8/22 5.5%  7/23 6% 7/24 6.8%
Off meds 3/2015  Back on meds 7/2024 w/better diet 

skb

Quote from: bigskygal on February 09, 2022, 01:21:07 PMYes, Wally, that is a form of fasting. It is called Intermittent fasting.

True. From what I have read, food stays in the stomach from 45 minutes to about 2 hours and is then passed on to the small intestine for further digestion. The smaller intestine pushes the food to and fro until all of the nutrients are absorbed and transferred to the liver for further action. This whole process goes on for about 12 hours. After this period, the cells of the small intestine get some well deserved rest and get time for repairs and reconstruction. The intestinal cells get replaced every 4 days. That is how active and used they are. So anything after 12 hours is very beneficial. Fasting over 18-24 hours (some say 2-3 days) gives the additional benefit of autophagy where the body cells start a process called apoptosis (self eating) and they do that very selectively first devouring all the faulty and diseased components. So that really helps with rejuvenation and healing.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

walkerwally1

Thanks for that information SKB.  I don't consciously fast but I am not really hungry in the morning and usually don't eat until lunch time.  If this is beneficial that is a good thing.  I may have a breakfast like fried eggs and a couple of pieces of bacon once or twice a month. 
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

skb

I eat only twice a day with a gap of 9-10 hours thrown in. Over the years and with our Way of Eating my portions have become really very small. In terms of quantity, I eat in 3 days what a normal Indian would eat in a day.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club