You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Dexcom G5 Matters

Started by Tamagno, June 18, 2016, 05:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamagno

Dexcom users who've moved to the G5 system have already discovered that the transmitter battery lasts only about three months before alerting to be replaced.

I discovered that, critically, the sensor session has to be stopped in order to pair a new transmitter.

I managed that a few days ago, but the receiver didn't change the date for low battery.

I'm guessing that I have to stop the session and re-pair the new transmitter in order to get the date right, but I'm not certain as I don't recall a place to manually enter the date of transmitter replacement.

Aargh! Figure I'll bite the bullet and call Dexcom Monday.
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

With the G4, when I got my new transmitter, I had to go to "settings" in order to change the transmitter ID number.  With the G4, I did not have to stop the sensor session, but I know naught about the G5.  Dexcom is available 24x7 if you need help before Monday.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

Tamagno

Thanks, GB. Figured I'd wait until Wednesday when I change the sensor and have it stopped anyway.

By the way, the G5 has some great features albeit more complex.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Tamagno

Talked to Dexcom yesterday.

The rep (a swell fellow named Kenneth) verified my most recent transmitter/dates, etc. and told me the problem is a "glitch."

Dexcom is overnighting a replacement transmitter. I'll be curious to see if that solves the problem - it should.

As usual, Dexcom is great about standing behind their products.

Tamagno

The latest is constant signal loss and/or data loss on the mobile apps ("Share" and "Follow") resulting in those not working for periods of from 3-45 minutes at a time.  These drop outs occur at least twice an hour.

No less than a half dozen phone calls, two new transmitters, three new sensors and many software/hardware games later, the problem remains unresolved. The last tech I spoke with was impressively and aggressively unhelpful.

I sent an equally aggressive e-mail to Dexcom last night. It'll be interesting to see how and if they respond.

Grammabear

Quote from: Tamagno on July 01, 2016, 05:41:54 AM
The latest is constant signal loss and/or data loss on the mobile apps ("Share" and "Follow") resulting in those not working for periods of from 3-45 minutes at a time.  These drop outs occur at least twice an hour.

No less than a half dozen phone calls, two new transmitters, three new sensors and many software/hardware games later, the problem remains unresolved. The last tech I spoke with was impressively and aggressively unhelpful.

I sent an equally aggressive e-mail to Dexcom last night. It'll be interesting to see how and if they respond.

I'm sorry you have had issues with the Dexcom.  After reading your post, I think there is absolutely NO excuse for Dexcom to behave in such a disgraceful manner.  I hope they respond promptly or at least the first of next week after the holiday.  Don't give up on them and don't take any bad behavior from their tech support people.  Tip:  take down the name of the tech support person that you are speaking with and ask for their supervisor.  That gets their attention and it worked for me the last time I had issues with the G4.  Best wishes Tamagno.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

Tamagno

Thanks, G-Bear, I'll definitely be keeping on top of them. Usually, they're terrific, but...

Tamagno

Yesterday, I moved my Apple Airport Extreme range extender to be sure I had full wifi coverage throughout the house; everyplace is 100% including the basement and garage inside my car with the door shut. I also reset my Apple router to factory settings just to be safe and did the same with my wifi-enabled HP printer. My TVs both connect to Internet via Ethernet, so there's no possibility of conflict there.

Dexcom mobile and Follow apps still cut out on a regular basis, just like before.

Okay, so I'll call Dexcom again Tuesday, but I've also bookmarked the Medtronics site who I'll also call. I looked at T-Slim, but then I'd still have Dexcom CGM.

Tamagno

Spoke to the fifth Dexcom rep yesterday who's overnighting a new transmitter and sensor.

Sure do wish this had gone differently, but am glad Dexcom's gotten it right. It's just odd that it's the second new transmitter in a row that failed immediately - totally different problems, however.

Now for the much harder problem of getting government health care to cover CGMs!

Grammabear

I'm glad someone at Dexcom listened to you and is sending you a new transmitter.  This isn't the same issue, but when I had a Metronic Revel pump which requires a battery, one day the pump battery level was low so I went to my supply drawer to get one.  Put the new battery in and the pump said "low battery", so took that battery out and put in another new one.  I received the same durn message again.  Finally I got a battery from a different package and that one worked right.  It was an unusual situation but frustrating anyway.

Hope things go better for you with the new transmitter.  And Good Luck on getting Medicare to cover a CGM, there are many of us hoping for that too.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

Tamagno

I guess we know there's no such thing as perfection with any of these things, but it sure can be frustrating!

I'll be installing the new transmitter later this afternoon - it'll have to be better than the old one.

I'm still admiring the T-Slim's very nice color display with integrated Dexcom and will be running numbers to see if I can afford the CGM on my retirement income.

Grammabear

I wonder if the G5 is considered to be more accurate than the G4?  I just recently learned how to "pair" the G4 with my phone - took me a while but it is convenient to be able to see it when I need to.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

Tamagno

I don't know, G-bear. I'm guessing not as the method is still subcutaneous and relative accuracy just can't be as good as by blood.

I know Dexcom "tunes" their software algorithms for greater accuracy at the more critical low end of the scale, but the same inherent limitations still apply plus it's always 15 minutes behind the actual reading.

That said, my strictly anecdotal experience suggests the G5 is often more accurate than the G4. My G5 sometimes goes through a period of 12-24 hours during which its off by 20-30 points but then manages to get back on track.

Convenient as it can be (most especially the configurable and loud alarms) it has not proven especially user friendly.

Tech support is about 98% terrific, but I suspect that if I weren't already tech savvy I'd have a lot more trouble. I use iOS, but the prospect of managing G5 software via Android is daunting if you were to run into problems.

In all, the entire scheme is a great one whose time has definitely come - especially if you're the parent of a young type 1 or caregiver of an elderly type 1. Doubtless, the rough edges will get smoothed out in time.

Grammabear

I can only offer my own experience with the Dexcom system, but when I first got it in 2007, it was no where near as accurate as it can be at present time.  I've also found that the accuracy seems more favorable when my blood glucose is in range. 

But we are human and sometimes we err either in counting carbs or in indulging in a 'special treat', and it is at those times better accuracy is desirable but not always possible.

Sometimes I get quite irritated with it and wish to fire it out the nearest window.  Then again it redeems itself by alerting me to an incoming low and I'm grateful that I have it.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

Tamagno

Couldn't agree more!

Actually, the "Share" and "Follow" software that allow my wife to see CGM readings remotely are a tremendous blessing as I'm so absurdly hypo unaware - well, to be honest, the 5-6 phone calls a day I get reminding me to adjust my basal rate up or down can seem like a curse...