You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

What other complications

Started by starsign, June 27, 2016, 11:55:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

starsign

I know of problems with the feet, retinopathy and neuropathy with uncontrolled diabetes. What are the other complications ?
Partner of a Diabetic T2

Grammabear

I know someone who is an uncontrolled T2 who has major dental issues.  Keep telling the person to pay attention to the diabetes but NO....they choose not to listen and end up having had two teeth pulled already because of neglect.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

Rhiannon

I have heard that thinning hair may also be related to diabetes.  I don't know if that is true, but I had a very thick head of hair for years, and it has thinned quite a bit.  This could be a combination of going through menopause and developing diabetes. 

Before my diagnosis, I also had reddened skin on the front of my shins, near the ankles.  Since getting my BS numbers under control, that redness slowly faded away.

skb

The nourishment of the body's cells & systems is the responsibility of the circulatory system. The blood delivers what is required where it is required. With high concentrations of blood glucose, the damage is everywhere. Particularly evident in organs & systems which employ finer blood vessels & capillaries. So as such the complications are everywhere but they are earlier detected in these systems. To that watch list, I would add the kidneys & heart at the top.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

rocky

right. i know of at least 1 case of a diabetic on dialysis. kidneys r almost always under threadt.
My life is based on a true story.

ami

i know of a gentle man who lost his toes because of very high sugar, but the sad part is they still want to eat bread and sweet jam for breakfast ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and all the low fat and high carb food of the world ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but the tea is without sugar,,,,,WHERE IS THE LOGIC?

Timewise

Continuing high sugars will attack most organs in the body, including liver, kidneys (already mentioned), and the heart!   Many out of control diabetics develop heart problem. 

RCG

Shanny

BobIA41

Some of these have been mentioned, but a review never hurts.

There are many complications caused by diabetes.
Here are most of them:
Retinopathy – leading to blindness
Neuropathy – Affects nervous system and can affect major organs
Nephropathy – Leading to kidney failure and dialysis
Heart disease – Possible death, but often creating disability
Foot problems – This can lead to infection and possible amputation unless treated early

The above have been mentioned and are often the most serious.
The following are other complications and can range from minor to serious

Cognitive decline – can often lead to dementia or Alzheimer's, but not always
Sexual dysfunction in men and women
Fatty liver disease – this can be problematic to fatal
Skin diseases – most of the diseases are treatable
Infections – do not let these become serious - get medical attention
Periodontal disease – care of you teeth is a must with diabetes
Deafness – there is a link, but more pronounced the younger a person is
Gastroparesis - also called delayed gastric emptying and this can be good and bad
Hyperglycemic Hyperosmolar Nonketotic Syndrome - can happen to people with either type 1 or type 2, but most often in people with type 2 diabetes, most often in people with unmanaged diabetes.  This and the following one require immediate medical treatment.
Diabetic Ketoacidosis – Can happen to both types, but most often in people with type 1 diabetes, as glucose builds to high levels in the blood stream
Hyperglycemia – elevated blood glucose levels, but not as high as the two types above
Hypoglycemia – low blood glucose levels below 70 mg/dl.  This requires immediate treatment to avoid coma and possible death.
Depression – often happens to people with either type of diabetes and now there is a proven link

The most productive way to avoid the complications of diabetes is to manage your blood glucose levels and maintain an A1c under 6.0%
Bob

Sweety

Quote from: ami on June 28, 2016, 06:50:09 AM
i know of a gentle man who lost his toes because of very high sugar,

One of my grandmother's brother has lost his entire left leg below the knee, and now his kidneys have failed. Yet people don't realise and don't listen.
Diabetic ?

Shanny

rocky

My life is based on a true story.