You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Proteins and fats can drive insulin production

Started by skb, July 10, 2024, 11:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skb

QuoteWhen it comes to managing blood sugar levels, most people think about counting carbs. But new research from the University of British Columbia shows that, for some, it may be just as important to consider the proteins and fats in their diet.

The study, published today in Cell Metabolism, is the first large-scale comparison of how different people produce insulin in response to each of the three macronutrients: carbohydrates (glucose), proteins (amino acids) and fats (fatty acids).

The findings reveal that production of the blood sugar-regulating hormone insulin is much more dynamic and individualized than previously thought, while showing for the first time a subset of the population who are hyper-responsive to fatty foods.

Read More ...
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

walkerwally1

Well I think that is the reason to test after meals to find out how different foods affect your BG.  This is never been advised by any doctor I have had, they have just prescribed a medication and leave it at that.  It was forums like this that taught me to test and learn how my body handled different foods.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

Quote from: walkerwally1 on July 11, 2024, 10:58:20 AMWell I think that is the reason to test after meals to find out how different foods affect your BG.  This is never been advised by any doctor I have had, they have just prescribed a medication and leave it at that.  It was forums like this that taught me to test and learn how my body handled different foods.

Exactly!!! I wonder how long before the medical doctors get with the program. They are just relying on drugs to treat the problem rather something natural like food choice.

On a different tangent from this, I read part of a New York Times article (before the pay wall slammed down) that doctors were saying they are finding drugs made for one disease are being found to work for others. Duh... Their example was "take Ozempic, a drug made for weight loss is now found to work for other diseases such as diabetes..." Wait What??? Wasn't Ozempic a drug for diabetes FIRST? Then the weight loss factor was discovered.  Me thinks someone is trying to rewrite history here...

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

Quote from: bigskygal on July 11, 2024, 09:52:05 PMI read part of a New York Times article (before the pay wall slammed down) that doctors were saying they are finding drugs made for one disease are being found to work for others. Duh... Their example was "take Ozempic, a drug made for weight loss is now found to work for other diseases such as diabetes..." Wait What??? Wasn't Ozempic a drug for diabetes FIRST? Then the weight loss factor was discovered.  Me thinks someone is trying to rewrite history here...
Happens all the time.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH