You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

eat to yr meter

Started by rocky, July 25, 2016, 01:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocky

like i had said i detail tested my meal last night
i had cream veg soup, salad, a steak with mashed potatoes n some fresh lime soda water with a splenda
here are my numbers
before food 102
30 minutes after 128
60 minutes 137
120 minutes 132
after that i wanted to check but didnt. had some urgent calls
what r yr views on my experince
My life is based on a true story.

skb

There are 2 specifics that I can make out from that data

1) It's important to stay under 140 at the 1 hr mark and you were able to achieve that.
2) You should be able to return to ~ 120 mark by the 2nd hour. Your drop is 5 points from the peak of 137 which means that your 2nd stage insulin response is compromised.

The overall rise is 35 points & that is good news as one should not go beyond 40 points with a meal. If you try that meal again without the mashed potatoes maybe the outcome will be different & more to your liking. 
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

starsign

Quote from: skb on July 25, 2016, 03:42:46 AM
Your drop is 5 points from the peak of 137 which means that your 2nd stage insulin response is compromised.

Interesting. Skb, please excuse me if this is a dumb question but what is the 2nd stage respone. Can you please explain ?
Partner of a Diabetic T2

skb

The pancreatic insulin response to a meal takes place in 2 phases or stages. The first stage response is a rapid flush of stored insulin which has been produced & accumulated since the last meal.
The 2nd stage release of insulin is after the stored hormone has been exhausted. It is freshly produced, is much more slower & gradual. Both of these stages correspond (more or less) to the 1 hr & 2 hr marks, hence these timings for PP tests.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

rocky

adding 2 + 2 i see that my insulin production is compromised
which leads to some stored one being pumped rapidly
but then i slow down a bit
is that a correct assessment ?
what can i do to improve that

starsign

Thanks. Understanding the processes at play makes things a lot clearer for us newbies.
Partner of a Diabetic T2

Timewise

rocky....one brief comment, do you know if the cream used to make the soup was Heavy Whipping Cream?  All other forms of milk/cream have excessive carbs.....that could also be part of the variances....

Also, for me, anytime I get up over 125 or so, I get nervous because I know my meter is not totally accurate.   So always take that into account.  I try and keep my high at or below 120 when testing a food.....if I get up to 130, I will alter the food I tested or not eat it anymore....

Good Luck

bigskygal

Also Rocky, what veggies were in the soup? Peas & carrots would not be good choices.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

rocky

yes thr were carrots n peas in the soup  ???
will find out abt the cream

Kelly

skb, thanks for that explanation!  I don't always understand how things work, any new information is always welcome.

rocky

i dont think the cream was the one u mentione timewise
i saw the packet it didnt say whipping or anything like that

skb

Quote from: rocky on July 26, 2016, 02:22:19 AM
adding 2 + 2 i see that my insulin production is compromised
which leads to some stored one being pumped rapidly
but then i slow down a bit
is that a correct assessment ?
what can i do to improve that

I don't know if anything can be done to improve that because how much insulin your pancreatic beta cells produce if impossible to measure. What you can do is improve the numbers & the consequences. Eat in a way so as to reduce your dependence on insulin and make do with what you can easily produce, thereby also giving relief & extended life to your pancreatic cells. Hope this is clear ?
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

rocky

thanx boss
u've put things in perspective n clearly
watch what u eat n if in doubt eat to the meter  ;D