You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Exercise / Workout thread

Started by skb, March 09, 2016, 10:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweety

Inspired by you all. Walked for an hour today. Maybe 5 kms. I'm a slow walker.
Diabetic ?

starsign

Quote from: skb on May 14, 2016, 11:35:04 PM
Start slowly & gradually build up. Your treadmill might have adjustments for incline as well as speed. Start with walking, then jogging after a few days & eventually a trot / run. Mix your routines to have a little of each. But do remember that treadmills have a cushioning effect & are not good for the knees in the long run. Do try to add outdoor walking / running if you can. Adding some weight training to your workout would be the best.

Thanks Skb, I will keep all this in mind.
Partner of a Diabetic T2

skb

Worked out after a break of a week. Did about 80 % of my routine. Quite happy.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

starsign

Our treadmill will be delivered tomorrow.  ~drm~
Partner of a Diabetic T2

skb

Did my full routine workout today. But I'm drained. It's the humidity & the heat.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Shanny

Quote from: skb on May 17, 2016, 01:50:51 AM
It's the humidity & the heat.
That's what takes the wind outta my sails, and our climate isn't half what yours is. And I'm not even working out!  :-[   :P

We have this weird thing going this year though . . . twice in the last week, nighttime temps have dropped to 36° (2.22C) while daytime highs are hitting mid-to-high 80s (roughly 29.44C). That's a little too much swing to be comfortable.  :o

Sweety

Walked for an hour again. It was early in the morning yet I sweated like the sea. Yes it's very humid and sultry.
Diabetic ?

starsign

Got our treadmill. Did my first workout on it. ~tup~
Nothing much, just a short 2 km walk. I will gradually build up as you all have advised. 
Partner of a Diabetic T2

skb

No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

starsign

For the first time in recent memory we worked out early morning. What a sea change, and I have no one but the Pub to thank. Who would have thought of such a Pub.

My niece is a yoga instructor. She had come to teach us some of the simpler postures which we did for about 20-25 minutes and then the treadmill. The company has sent a small booklet, where I learnt of HIIT. High intensity interval training. Well, I did a slow / fast walk routine. Not much at this stage, but a start. Do you people think HIIT is of any real value or is this another hype ?
Partner of a Diabetic T2

skb

Starsign,

HIIT works wonders. It is no hype. Some studies have found that is better at reducing blood glucose levels than regular exercise. You are right in building up slowly. The intervals should be "equal" in terms of time. What I mean is that you should plan intervals in units of time, like 5 mins slow / 5 mins fast.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Sweety

Walked 1 hr & 15 minutes today. There's a jogging park near where we live, I love to go there. I've found out that one round of the track is some 300 meters.
Diabetic ?

starsign

Quote from: skb on May 17, 2016, 10:28:42 PM
Starsign,

HIIT works wonders. It is no hype. Some studies have found that is better at reducing blood glucose levels than regular exercise. You are right in building up slowly. The intervals should be "equal" in terms of time. What I mean is that you should plan intervals in units of time, like 5 mins slow / 5 mins fast.

Easier said than done skb, especially for me. I've a lot of rust to be brushed off. I tried 1 minute of walking and 1 minute of run. The problem is I could not run again after a 2nd 1 minute walk. I needed more time to recover. Is this normal ?
Partner of a Diabetic T2

skb

:D Yes, it'll take some time. take it easy, don't be in a rush.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

starsign

Managed a 1/2 minute run for every 1-1/2 minutes of walk. Is that ok ? At least I'm moving my butt.
Partner of a Diabetic T2