You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Exercise / Workout thread

Started by skb, March 09, 2016, 10:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shanny

I used to swim for exercise, and would clock 2-2½ miles a day. It's the best cardio-pulmonary exercise there is.

bigskygal

10,759 steps yesterday.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

walkerwally1

Hmmmm, I'm guessing little lap time for Boo !
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

skb

Which reminds me, I have taken quite a few days off from exercise. Better start moving my butt again.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

rocky

Quote from: Shanny on May 17, 2017, 02:39:57 AM
I used to swim for exercise, and would clock 2-2½ miles a day. It's the best cardio-pulmonary exercise there is.

That is really impressive Shanny. I didn't keep a count of the distance but I just swam for fun. Maybe next time.
My life is based on a true story.

Shanny

Well, I only know because in those days I swam in an Olympic-size pool, so if I counted my laps I could do the math. After I moved to the river, it's a little harder to compute with Mother Nature!  ;)

Grammabear

4, 201 steps yesterday in addition to 30 min (4.25 miles) on the stationary bike.  I don't think I will ever reach 10,000 steps because I hurt too much after a day when I get only 3,000 to 4,000 steps.

I am also very discouraged to not see any improvement in the numbers the scale tells me.  I've cut my carb count in half and try to stay beneath 70-80 carbs thereby requiring less insulin.  The Endo told me to starve myself in order to lose weight and sadly I think he might be right?
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

Shanny

I don't believe the endo is right - I think he's taking the easy way out & blowing a lotta smoke. I think if you can cut your carbs enough (under 40g) and get enough fats, it will eventually register on the scale. The trouble with LCHF is getting enough fats to provide energy. In the absence of carbs, there is no such thing as too much fat.

My percentages used to be 5 to 10% carbs, 20 to 25% protein, and all the rest fats.

bigskygal

9,552 steps yesterday. 

Some days Boo is not as insistent about sitting on my lap.  Other days he just won't get up!!

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

skb

Quote from: Grammabear on May 18, 2017, 01:17:27 PM
I am also very discouraged to not see any improvement in the numbers the scale tells me.  I've cut my carb count in half and try to stay beneath 70-80 carbs thereby requiring less insulin.  The Endo told me to starve myself in order to lose weight and sadly I think he might be right?

With exogenous insulin, it is difficult to lose weight. Of course, The Law of Small Numbers should help, but how many carbs to cut down upon and how little insulin to be injected is something that only you can determine, with a lot of trial and error.   
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

walkerwally1

7411 steps yesterday which is quite good for me but I had to go back to using my cane.  I did quite well for about 3 days without using the cane but I think I did put more strain on my leg and it started to hurt so I am not going to worry about whether I am using it or not.
@Grammabear, I would not worry about 10,000 steps.  What is a better goal is what you can do and work with that.  Right now I cannot do 10K either and I was able to easily di 12-15K before I broke my hip.  Right now I am just happy that I can walk !  I haven't noticed any benefit to losing weight from walking although I am a believer that it is very good for you.  I am type2 so there is a difference but I keep carbs at 25g a day max to control my bg and that works out to be about 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fat.  That caused me to lose weight without trying and I hit a spot where it stabilized and I have been there for over 3 years.  Like SKB said, we are all different so it takes a bit of trial and error and while 75-80g of carbs may seem low it still could be what is making it difficult for you to lose.  I don't believe starving is a solution and your endo is not helping you at all.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

Quote from: skb on May 19, 2017, 06:33:35 AM
Quote from: Grammabear on May 18, 2017, 01:17:27 PM

With exogenous insulin, it is difficult to lose weight. Of course, The Law of Small Numbers should help, but how many carbs to cut down upon and how little insulin to be injected is something that only you can determine, with a lot of trial and error.

After reading Shanny's post I went in search online for any guidelines or suggestions about lowering carb consumption safely for type 1 diabetics.  There isn't a whole lot of 'help' out there but I did find one place where they suggested to lower your carb consumption weekly until you see some results.  Since I am exercising 30 minutes a day, sometimes a bit more, I think that is also a factor in the hypoglycemic events I've been having.

It does seem like I have a lot of trial and error, but I get more help from fellow diabetics than I do from the Endo. He is young and maybe not so experienced.  I am pretty sure he is not diabetic either.

Wally - you are right.  I should be greatful for what I can do, not what I can't do.  I am pleased that you shared your percentages.  Are these percentages vastly different for everyone?  I have an app on my phone that keeps track of these percentages and mine seem to be different everyday.  I know very little about what percentages should be.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

Shanny

I know that on the other board we sorta dumped Andreas Eenfeldt, the DietDoctor.com, because he started talking like he could cure diabetes with LCHF, but he still does have some good advice, although I think he's very wrong to promote that it's a cure.

And there's no denying that, whichever type we are, it's carbs that raise blood sugar, so the fewer we eat, the better. But the titration process must be done carefully, and then maintained, if only for the reason that we don't want to have to do it again if we relapse!

bigskygal

9,217 steps yesterday.

It does seem like so many of our original "mentors" have gone with lc/hf "cures' D2.  I realize they have to move on and stay "relevant"  But I hate to see the promotions for foods that are great for lc/hf/keto.

Right now I am at a point where I can't tolerate a lot of fat.  According to my last blood test in January,
I am not in ketosis. That doesn't bother me as long as my bg is in normal range.  I go through phases where certain foods just don't appeal to me.  I am losing weight and have reached the "ideal weight" for my heigh but I am not sure that is a really good thing...  we are all so different, we have to find what works best for ourself.

walkerwally1

@Grammabear, the percentages I use are to try to maintain ketosis and to stay in "fat burning" mode as opposed to "glucose burning".  It has helped me to control my blood sugar and I lost weight also. Like it has been said, everyone is different so you have to find what works for you.  The big thing is how many carbs.  My first book on diabetes was " DR. BERNSTEIN'S Diabetes Solution and in it he talks about the rule of small numbers which is simply that the lower your carbs are the less insulin you need.  He is a T1 diabetic and is now in his 80's and still treating patients.  I also agree that it isn't necessary to make major changes all at once. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024