You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Exercise / Workout thread

Started by skb, March 09, 2016, 10:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grammabear

At my appointment with my GP yesterday, she feels the main objective is to keep moving when possible.  I'm glad the knee brace helps you Wally.  It is always a good thing to have less pain.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

skb

Wally, I'm very happy that the brace helped relieve the pain.

It is likely that with the hip surgery, you were applying extra pressure on your knee when walking. Just loud thinking on my part. You'd know better.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

rocky

Quote from: skb on June 14, 2017, 10:32:47 PM
It is likely that with the hip surgery, you were applying extra pressure on your knee when walking. Just loud thinking on my part. You'd know better.

That makes sense. But it is nice that the brace helps with the pain.
My life is based on a true story.

bigskygal

So late to post  had to go to town for blood draw for dr visit on Friday

7, 668 steps yesterday.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

walkerwally1

Quote from: skb on June 14, 2017, 10:32:47 PM
I agree SKB, that was my thoughts also.  With the brace I am walking much more normal and keeping much better posture.  All seems to be helping.  Just over 5K steps yesterday and I am going to keep that as my goal for a while.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Shanny

Quote from: walkerwally1 on June 14, 2017, 09:28:28 AMI have three knee braces in a drawer and haven't used one because in the past they have not really made much difference.  Yesterday I thought that it would be worth a try so I got one out and put it on.  WOW, what a difference.  My leg pain just was not there and I was able to walk much more normal.  I was still cautious but I was really happy at how much difference it made.  I'm hoping that it will continue but only time will tell.  It does show me that my problem is my knee now and my hip is really not holding me back.
I have knee brace stashed all over the house, and while I haven't needed them lately, they're a great help. I often develop pain lying down, so I'll wear them to bed & they seem to prevent that pain getting started.

I have more darn braces and it's getting to be laughable! Braces for my knees, braces for my ankles, and for my neck and for my shoulders. I don't need the carpal tunnel braces since having the surgery, but they're still in the lineup too!  ;D   ;D   ;D

bigskygal

7,852 steps yesterday.  Lots of time spent driving to and from town not as much spent walking.

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

walkerwally1

6666 steps yesterday.  Trying to not overdo it but that is what I came up with.  Still doing a lot better using the knee brace and walking a lot without using the cane.  It helps me to walk more normal with better posture and that seems to help a lot.
@Shanny, I am lucky that the knee brace is the only one I have needed.  At that this is the first time the brace has really had as much of an effect. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Shanny

I use braces & splints to avoid excessive use of pain meds. If I can save the Norco to take at bedtime, it will also help me sleep, so I don't wanna waste it for daytime use.

What got me started was the diagnosis I got back in 1998 of degenerative disc disease - manifested as bulging cervical discs - so I picked up a 'whiplash' collar to wear when I slept. Now every time my neck gets a crick in it, I reach for a collar.

Figure if braces work for my neck, they might work on other joints too!  ;D

walkerwally1

Yeah, if they work it can really make a difference.  I agree that it is probably best to use as little of the pain pills as possible.  A couple of years ago I was taking a whole lot of Ibuprofen and thought maybe it was not good to rely on so much.  Pain is an every day thing I deal with nowadays but for the most part it is tolerable and I don't take anything for it most of the time.  I haven't taken Norco since I left the Hospital after the broken hip.  But, if you need it you usually really need it. 
Thankfully I have not had any disc problems but I know that can be a real difficult thing to deal with.  Like you said, if the brace helps by all means use it. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

Shanny

We've stopped using NSAIDS at all, because they're hard on kidneys. We've replaced them with a combination of fish oil, krill oil and curcumin (termeric). These are all strong anti-inflammatories, and inflammation is often the issue. When we need pain management per se, we use Norco.

On our blood test results we began to notice the GFR levels dropping, and made the switch.

skb

Quote from: Shanny on June 16, 2017, 07:19:37 PM
We've stopped using NSAIDS at all, because they're hard on kidneys.

I was also an ignoramus using Ibuprofen without a care.

Since all our body tissue is made of protein and since protein takes priority in digestion, the stomach is protected from auto-digestion by a thick layer of mucus. The NSAIDs break that down and the stomach comes under direct attack from the pepsin that is flushed in for digestion as soon as something is ingested. A couple of day/s use will give immediate rise to gastric or digestive issues. Regular use can result in peptic ulcers
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

bigskygal

7,256 steps yesterday.

I've had cervical fusion and have spinal stenosis and bulging discs and some other things in my low back.  Some days it is very painful others they don't bother me at all.  I don't take any pain meds for it and I get by just  fine most days.  I take krill oil, maybe I should add fish oil and curcumin to my regimen. Thanks Shanny!

rocky

I went for a casual swim yesterday evening.

i Googled 'side effects of painkillers' and the list included ulcers, liver, kidney and many others. I wonder why they are prescribed unless badly required.
My life is based on a true story.

Shanny

So many of the NSAIDS we've mentioned are OTC products here in the States, but you're right, Rocky - docs need to be more careful advising the use of these drugs.

And Barb? I've been puzzled that my disc disease manifests in my cervical discs. I've been obese most of my adult life, and I would think carrying so much weight would affect the lumbar discs a lot more. The next realization is that I must have a fat head, eh?!  ;D