You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Exercise / Workout thread

Started by skb, March 09, 2016, 10:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocky

its impossible to walk here. too hot out in the open. hv to always be indoors. thr is a gym n im still thinkin to join, considering im not here for too long. but what the heck, let me just go n ask. i'll go today.
My life is based on a true story.

Sweety

Today I walked, yesterday I didn't as we woke up pretty late. Was a lazy Sunday.
Diabetic ?

starsign

Rocky,
I think you should join up, even if temporarily. After having invested in a treadmill about a month ago, I can safely tell you that the body remains very alert and energetic the whole day after a nice workout in the morning. Go for it.
~tup~
Partner of a Diabetic T2

Sweety

Schools have opened up and there's a lot of extra work in the morning now. I haven't been able to keep up with my walks. I do hope the house work counts.
Diabetic ?

rocky

ok guys, i took yr advice n i joined up with the gym. i start on monday.  ;D
wish me luck.

Rhiannon

I know that if I walked longer, most experts would say that's better for me.  However, not walking at all because I can't do at least _x_ number of minutes would be worse.  So I've come to the conclusion that any extra movement is a good thing, whether it's five minutes here and there throughout the day, 10 minutes or 20 minutes once a day, whatever.  So today, I've walked so far a total of 15 minutes:  5 minutes on my morning break, and ten minutes at lunch.  I will then walk 5 more minutes on my afternoon break. 

I'll be off work tomorrow so that will give me the opportunity to walk for 20 minutes in one go, rather than breaking it up over the day.

Shanny

I can walk, but not for exercise at all . . . even just walking around the grocery store leaning on the cart causes back pain & I'm exhausted by the time we get checked out & back to the car. What movement I get doing the cooking & a little housework has to suffice. What I eat has a much bigger impact on my blood sugar than exercise.

bigskygal

Same here Shanny.  Back issues prevent much exercise for me too.  Grocery shopping, or any kind of shopping just wipes me out.  I am totally diet controlled.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Sweety

Quote from: Rhiannon on June 14, 2016, 03:59:20 PM
So I've come to the conclusion that any extra movement is a good thing,

That's what I am also thinking and hoping. Couldn't go to the park for my regular walks. Have to make do with extra house work.
Diabetic ?

Kelly

Walked for about a half hour on both Saturday and Sunday.  There isn't much time during the week to get out.  I did feel better for it!

Rhiannon

Shanny and BigSkyGal - I'm sorry about your back issues.  I was in a car accident in 2009 that resulted in rather long-term upper back pain, so I know how much that can affect every aspect of life.  I am fortunate in that once I realized my back pain was lingering on and on because I wasn't getting a good night's sleep, it began to (mostly) resolve.  However, if I do anything more than the standard vacuuming and other housework, my back pain will flare.  That means when I have to pack up and move next month, I'm going to be dealing with lots of back pain for awhile. 

Yesterday I was at my mother's house all day (and night).  I got exercise by walking around outside, going up and down the stairs to the 2nd floor several times, sweeping the kitchen floor, doing dishes, and vacuuming. 

Back at work today and as I didn't sleep well last night, am tired and my back is bothering me.  So I walked 5 minutes on my break and I'll walk 5 more on my next break, but that will be it for me today.  I'm going home after work, eating some leftover crackslaw and probably then going straight to bed.

RCG

Averaged over the last year, my blood sugar after my (morning) Cardiac Rehab workout is twelve (12) points lower than my fasting value for that day.

I'm not sure if that helps or answers your question, but it is the only data I can come up with from my records.

Shanny

I have degenerative disc disease, and for the last 20 years it has manifested in my cervical discs, causing stiff/achy neck pain and I treat it with anti-inflammatory products (fish oil, krill oil & curcumin capsules) and by wearing a soft cervical collar. In the past year it has progressed to the lumbar discs, which aren't as easy to support as the neck.

bigskygal

I have already had cervical fusion C-6 and C-7 and it did wonders.  My issues are lumbar now (spinal stenosis, bulging discs and more) unfortunately surgery is not a good option.  Consequently, I get very little physical exercise.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

rocky

so guys monday i'll be going to the gym. any tips for a newbie.