You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Exercise / Workout thread

Started by skb, March 09, 2016, 10:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocky

Grammabear,

I have lost nearly 35 lbs of excess weight. I hit the gym regularly and besides diabetes have no other issues. So far so good. I don't have any knee pain. 

But don't let this stop you. Keep doing a little extra every day and if there is improvement then you are on the right track.
My life is based on a true story.

Grammabear

Rocky - Continue your workouts at the gym because I think it helps our general overall health.  Last Fall I had a bad case of cellulitis in my leg and I quit riding the stationary bike.  I had been riding 45 min every day but with the pain from the cellulitis, it became impossible.

However, once I recovered from that and the doctor said it was alright to resume riding - I became lazy and didn't ride at all.  Now I am having to start all over again in building my strength and I'm finding my progress to be very slow.  I also have to remember that I'm not young anymore and sometimes I wonder if progress is even possible.  But I'm ornery and I won't give up trying.  My step count started very, very low at 1,000 and yesterday I got up to 2500.  I try to get more steps than the day before.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

skb

Quote from: Grammabear on March 02, 2017, 09:35:30 AM
I also have to remember that I'm not young anymore and sometimes I wonder if progress is even possible.  But I'm ornery and I won't give up trying.  My step count started very, very low at 1,000 and yesterday I got up to 2500.  I try to get more steps than the day before.

That is commendable. Age is definitely a factor in what can/cannot be done but I do believe that it is the mind that can help override this. With intent, inclination and perseverance one can achieve a lot, if not everything.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

bigskygal

6,323 steps yesterday.  ~ cat ~

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

rocky

Grammabear,

I don't intend to stop gyming ever. I had a lot of hesitation joining up as I was way overweight but now I have lost most of the flab and enjoy my time at the gym.

You have progressed from 1000 to 2500 in a short time. I'm sure 10000 is not far for you.

Grammabear

I went backwards yesterday mostly because I didn't feel well.  Today is a new day, so hope to make forward progress.  Thank you for the kind words Rocky.  I am way overweight as well, and my main purpose for walking is to see if I can get my stamina back so I might be able to take my street bike out of storage when the weather permits.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

4623 steps yesterday.  I was at 3k the day before so this is the most I have done for two days in a row.  I don't know about today but we will see.  I do feel better though and I am even able to walk for a few steps without the cane or any other assistance, but only for a few steps, still, progress !
@Grammabear, Just the fact that you have started walking is a great benefit.  How many steps you are able to do right now is not as important as the fact that you are doing what you can do.  Keeping track of steps is a way to see how much you can improve but don't fret if you have days when you do less.  We all have good and bad days.  Don't try to match others but just try to improve your goals as you are able. 
I used to do 10-12K steps a day and I hope to get back there but I don't know how long it will take.  Right now just the fact that I am managing to walk with a cane is quite an improvement.  I still deal with pain every day but not as much as a month ago. 
Keep up the good work, I think you are doing great.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

6,207 steps yesterday.  ~ cat ~ Plus I seem to have a sore muscle in my left thigh so didn't push it too much.

As Wally said, we do what we can do at any given time.  Some days peanuts, some days shells!!  ;D

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

Grammabear

Quote from: bigskygal on March 03, 2017, 06:51:53 PM
6,207 steps yesterday.  ~ cat ~ Plus I seem to have a sore muscle in my left thigh so didn't push it too much.

As Wally said, we do what we can do at any given time.  Some days peanuts, some days shells!!  ;D

What a cool way to express yourself........Some days peanuts, some days shells!!  Never heard that before and it gave me a chuckle.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

skb

Quote from: walkerwally1 on March 03, 2017, 09:39:09 AM
@Grammabear, Just the fact that you have started walking is a great benefit.  How many steps you are able to do right now is not as important as the fact that you are doing what you can do.  Keeping track of steps is a way to see how much you can improve but don't fret if you have days when you do less.  We all have good and bad days.  Don't try to match others but just try to improve your goals as you are able. 

~whs~ Is very true.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

rocky

Quote from: rocky on March 02, 2017, 10:35:20 PM
You have progressed from 1000 to 2500 in a short time. I'm sure 10000 is not far for you.

I am sorry, I was not trying to push you but just encourage. What everyone has said is correct, you should do things at your own pace and convenience.

Grammabear

Yesterday was our day for grocery shopping and I got 2975 steps.  My 'hoped for goal' was 3,000 and didn't quite make it, but did come close.
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

walkerwally1

Well, I was able to manage 5009 steps yesterday which is quite good for me right now but the best part is that I made 4023 steps the day before and that is the first time I have been able to do over 4K two days in a row.  Sort of a milestone for me.  I'm not so sure about today and I think I will kind of take it a bit easy to do some healing. 
@Grammabear, you keep improving and that is the true measure of what you are doing.  Keep up the good work, it really does get easier and it helps overall health. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

bigskygal

9,456 steps yesterday.

Today was grocery shopping so should have a good step count.

walkerwally1

Well, I said that I would take it easy yesterday and fully intended to but after I went out for the Mail, about a 600 step journey, I felt good so I decided to just walk until I felt the need to back off.  Ended up with 4761 steps so that is three days in a row over 4K steps.  That is a definite improvement but I really am going to take it easier today, really.   
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024