You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Exercise / Workout thread

Started by skb, March 09, 2016, 10:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skb

1 km on incline on the treadmill and all my weights. Just a trifle bit short on the counts, but I'll get there in a week.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

rocky

Good going skb. It takes me 3-4 days to come up to my best levels if I quit gym for a few days. I try and take only the weekends off, but sometimes work keeps me occupied till late and I am forced to take an extra day or days off. 
My life is based on a true story.

walkerwally1

6921 steps yesterday and that was a surprise to me.  Monday I had a bit of a freak accident.  I was going to town and had pulled my car through the front gate and I set the hand brake with the car in neutral (manual transmission) and the engine running I got out and closed the gate.  I have had a habit of tossing my cane over on the passenger side before getting in the car and did so but the cane bounced off the seat and hit the release on the hand brake !  It's on an incline so the car started to roll, I tried to reach the brake lever but the car threw me down and I hit the ground, just got my foot out of the way of the rear wheel, and I watched the car head across the highway.  I was so lucky that there was no traffic, we have a lot of heavy truck traffic on this road and it could have been a disaster.  Car ended up across the road in the brush and I was on my rear covered from head to toe with dirt.  I did manage to get up and somehow was able to get the car out of the brush and back in my driveway.  Thankfully only a skinned knee and elbow but I am sore.  Yesterday I was sore mostly all over and the left side is the worse so now I have a limp on the right side and the left side so I guess I am balanced.   :D
Fortunately nothing bad came of it and after cleaning up I was able to go to town Monday.  It was Tuesday when I noticed the soreness and today it is still sore. 
Not going to throw the cane into the car anymore though. 
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

Very glad you were not injured severely.  Your story reminds me of Murphy's Law ~ "If anything can go wrong, it will go wrong".
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

skb

I have also "Liked" your post for the fact that you are safe and sound. This is a very freak accident and the chances of that happening again are like one in tens of millions, but it is good if you don't toss your cane in the front seat again. Usually hand brakes have a knob button which has to be pressed down to disengage it. I wonder how that happened.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

bigskygal

10,432 steps yesterday

Yikes Wally!!  So glad to hear you weren't seriously hurt and the car got across the road unscathed.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

walkerwally1

Quote from: skb on May 24, 2017, 12:16:57 PM
I have also "Liked" your post for the fact that you are safe and sound. This is a very freak accident and the chances of that happening again are like one in tens of millions, but it is good if you don't toss your cane in the front seat again. Usually hand brakes have a knob button which has to be pressed down to disengage it. I wonder how that happened.

Well, yes it does have a button on the end of the brake lever and when the cane bounced off of the passenger seat it hit the button and released the brake.  I agree it probably would never happen again, but not going to take a chance.  I was very lucky that there was no significant damage to the car or me !  The other thing is that I don't even need the cane just to get out of the car and close the gate.  Just habit I guess.  I only need to use the cane if I am going for a distance.  I am able to go for 200-300 steps without the cane and not feel any problem.  SO, from now on the cane stays in the car when opening and closing the gate. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Shanny

Quote from: walkerwally1 on May 24, 2017, 09:19:47 AMMonday I had a bit of a freak accident.
Wally! Oh my goodness! Awfully glad you're only sore, and nothing worse happened.

My hiking pole is so long that I have to toss it in the back seat, so maybe that's the best option for you too.

And I'm going to have to start taking it every step of my travels . . . we had breakfast out with an old friend Sunday morning, and he uses a cane. I had left mine, thinking the distance from the car to the restaurant wasn't that far, but he caught me catching my balance once for just a second, and offered me his cane. So my little pretensions aren't fooling anybody!  ~fno~

rocky

Thank heavens you're safe Wally.
You are slowly getting back to your earlier levels and doing much of it without the cane. A serious injury would have set you back another few months. Hopefully, the sores will not last more than a couple of days.
Let's celebrate  ~chr~

skb

No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Shanny

I guess I'll pour a glass of club soda & add a little squirt of MIO! Bottoms up, Wally!  `8)

walkerwally1

Yeah, it was an experience for sure.  Like I said, the thing is that I do quite well without the cane for short distances, 100-200 steps, and didn't even need to have it out.  Well, from now on if I have the cane I simply get into the car first and then bring the cane in.
6292 steps yesterday and I was just hoping to get to 5K so not too bad.  I was able to get over 6K for 7 days in a row so I may be sore but I am still walking.  I am also getting my 250+ steps every hour for 10 hours from 8 AM to 5 PM each day.  I think that helps and it keeps me from getting stiff from sitting too long. 
I'm going to join you all and have a drink too.  Maybe just water but a drink.  It's time to start making sun tea again.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

bigskygal

7,983 steps yesterday. Yes  ~ cat ~ in lap a lot, but without TV and commercials to get me up I am not walking as much.  I finally took advantage of Amazon Prime Videos and am hooked but there are no commercials to get me up...I'll be glad to have my TV  back tomorrow night!

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

rocky

Quote from: walkerwally1 on May 25, 2017, 09:50:03 AM
I'm going to join you all and have a drink too.  Maybe just water but a drink.  It's time to start making sun tea again.

Wally, I did have a drink yesterday and raise a toast to your good health and well being. Cheers.

Vahit

Walkerwally1,

What a terrible thing to happen. Thank God you are not hurt. Be safe.