You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Exercise / Workout thread

Started by skb, March 09, 2016, 10:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigskygal

6,296 steps yesterday.  The heat is wilting me.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Shanny

We're in a weird stretch where temps aren't getting horribly high, but the humidity is in the stratosphere because it's raining every day. Can't run the a/c enough to get the humidity down - it doesn't work very well for one thing - and my everlovin' has to go around in his heavy winter housecoat over his street clothes to keep warm!

He would happily maintain 85° in here if he could - year round!

Allergens are bad too, and I've been miserable for several days with burning eyes & uber drippy nose.

walkerwally1

5906 steps yesterday.  Down a bit from the prior two days but when it gets over 100° it isn't very inviting to go walking outside and I don't really like walking much in the house.  Still, I am seeing some improvement and feeling better.  Because our cooling is with an evaporative cooler we need the low humidity for it to work and so far that has been the case.  In town today where we will be moving in about a month it was 113° yesterday and is expected to be 114° today.  We will have refrigeration air conditioning there thankfully.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Shanny

That's the kind of cooling we used all the years in Colorado. We called them 'swamp coolers'.  :)

walkerwally1

Yeah, that's what we call them here also but I figured there were probably a lot of people that would not know what the heck I was talking about.   `8)
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

skb

Quote from: walkerwally1 on July 08, 2017, 10:11:45 PM
Yeah, that's what we call them here also but I figured there were probably a lot of people that would not know what the heck I was talking about.   `8)

I think what you are talking about is a water cooler. It has a very high speed large fan which sprays water to cool the ambient. These were and are still in use in a large part of India (in the summer months) where the humidity is pretty low. That because they're cheaper in running costs, and for many years we didn't have air conditioners that could cool at temperatures over 40o C. With newer technology and better refrigerants things have changed.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

walkerwally1

Quote from: skb on July 08, 2017, 11:11:57 PM
Quote from: walkerwally1 on July 08, 2017, 10:11:45 PM

I think what you are talking about is a water cooler. It has a very high speed large fan which sprays water to cool the ambient.

Well, not exactly.  The evaporative coolers (AKA Swamp Coolers) have a large absorbent pad that is kept wet by a pump that pumps water from a reservoir and a squirrel cage blower draws air from the outside, through the water soaked pad, and into the house.  The evaporation of the water in the pad cools the air entering the house.  Unlike refrigeration units this is a one pass application so the cooling effect is only as good as it can get from one pass through the pad.  If the temperature is not too high and if the humidity is low they work quite well.  The advantage is that the cost of operation is quite a lot less than a refrigeration A/C but as the refrigeration units have become so much more efficient the last few years the cost of operation is much closer.
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

Grammabear

We have a ranch style house which is just one floor, and we have two refrigeration air conditioners.  We put a window unit on one end of the house and a portable unit on the other end of the house.  The portable unit is a new purchase this year and we are really pleased with it.  The humidity in our part of the country can get very uncomfortable along with the heat.  We keep the temperature around 72 deg in our house which is comfortable for both of us. 

Since we spent all afternoon mowing the grass I got zero steps in yesterday but hope to make up for it today.  After my debacle last weekend by losing my fitbit and then finding it again, I left fitbit in the house while mowing.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

Shanny

The swamp cooler we used in Colorado was a large console model that used a 2' wide belt on rollers that kept it moving through the water in the reservoir. It ran 24/7 and all we had to do was make sure it was full of water.

Good move on the fitbit, Kathy!  ;)

bigskygal

6,669 steps yesterday.

I had a swamp cooler when I moved in here.  But not knowing anything about them, I didn't know I needed to drain it for Winter!  After repairing the ceiling in the guest bedroom, I had it removed.  I do have a refrigeration cooler in my office which does cool my living room too.  For some reason I haven't used it until last night!!

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

skb

Quote from: walkerwally1 on July 09, 2017, 10:05:58 AM
The evaporative coolers (AKA Swamp Coolers) have a large absorbent pad that is kept wet by a pump that pumps water from a reservoir and a squirrel cage blower draws air from the outside, through the water soaked pad, and into the house.  The evaporation of the water in the pad cools the air entering the house.  Unlike refrigeration units this is a one pass application so the cooling effect is only as good as it can get from one pass through the pad.  If the temperature is not too high and if the humidity is low they work quite well.  The advantage is that the cost of operation is quite a lot less than a refrigeration A/C but as the refrigeration units have become so much more efficient the last few years the cost of operation is much closer.

Same thing. Here the absorption pads are made out of dried grass. There's a mini pump which re-circulates the water that drips down, back to the reservoir on the top and the water comes down with gravity. A very fine mist of water vapour is sprayed into the room to cool it. The water vapour evaporates instantly to give the cooling effect.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

bigskygal

5,686 steps yesterday.  Feeling kind of off, hope stomach is better tomorrow.

rocky

Haven't hit the gym since Friday. I have been busy at work and hope to make time today. Getting a bit rusty I guess.
My life is based on a true story.

walkerwally1

9088 steps yesterday !  The first time to go over 9K since my broken hip.  Cooler weather made it a lot nicer walking outside.  I don't know how well I will do today but this morning I feel pretty good.  Still have to use the knee brace and the cane but not as much as I used to have to. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024

bigskygal

5,120 steps yesterday.  Still don't feel completely well.  It is cooler, but supposed to warm up again at the end of the week.  :(

Yay Wally!!  That is great, hope you feel OK today and didn't push too hard.