You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

BMI

Started by rocky, October 01, 2016, 04:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocky

Thanks skb,
I took all 3.
My BMI is working out to 31. I'm obese, by all accounts.
Im working on reducing that number. 
My life is based on a true story.

skb

Rocky,
I took the liberty of moving your post to a new topic "BMI" in the Statistics board. Maybe others would want to post their own numbers and/or discuss the subject here.

I have posted somewhere (can't find it) that the BMI is a 2 dimensional measure of body stature. Technically, it is a number that represents Body Weight (in kg) / (Height in mtrs)2.

There are many other factors within the body that are not taken into account, such as muscle or bone density, fluid status etc. It is therefore only a general measure of body stature. I have seen many people with great agility & athletic capability but with higher BMI than yours. So don't dwell too much on it and enjoy doing what you are doing (re your workouts).

Personally, my own BMI as of now, comes out to 25.4 as per the calculator (Downloads). It means that I am just overweight. That I am, but I'm now capable of things that I didn't do in college. Don't worry too much about it.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

rocky

Not worried at all, was just reporting.
I am sure that I was a 33+ very recently.
Definitely improving.

walkerwally1

There are different BMI calculators so there can be differences but using the calculator from the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute my BMI right now comes out to 22.4.  A little more than three years ago when I started LCHF I weighed 168 pounds and my BMI was 26.3.  So it is a measure that may be useful but the main thing is that at 168 I knew I was overweight, all I had to do was look in the mirror at my belly.   ;D
When I started LCHF losing weight was not my goal, yeah, I was a bit overweight but wasn't worried about it.  I started to lose weight as a side effect of working to control my bg and that was OK.  At one time I was worried that I may lose too much weight as I got down to 130 pounds but my body made the decision where it wanted to be and has been stable at about 140 pounds. 
I think the biggest problem with BMI is that it is used as a number to make a judgement by some doctors, insurance companies and the like without taking a look at other factors.  Looking in a mirror or how your clothes fit probably give you a better idea of where you are.  I think if you are happy with that you shouldn't worry.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

rocky

Can you give a link to that other calculator please ?

Sweety

As per this site's chart my BMI is 32. Rocky, you are better off than me  :-[
Diabetic ?

starsign

My BMI as per this chart is 24  ;D
I've never been too weighty except ofr my only pregnancy. Have always been between 23-25 post marriage. In my younger days I was very slim so I might have been much lower.
Partner of a Diabetic T2

walkerwally1

Quote from: rocky on October 03, 2016, 12:36:07 AM
Can you give a link to that other calculator please ?
The calculator I was referring to is :
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm
But if you google BMI you can find a lot of others.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"