You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2017

Started by Tamagno, January 01, 2017, 06:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walkerwally1

79 (4.38) this morning.  It was a couple of degrees cooler here yesterday at 96° (35.6°C).  I was at a family gathering in town yesterday in town and it was 110° (43.3°C).  We had BBQ burgers and beef brats and it was just fine inside but a bit too hot to stay outside.
@Tamagno, it does seem very strange that there are no generic versions of insulin around.  It makes you think of collusion.  Drug companies are not thought of as being very honest and unfortunately that is their own doing.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

209 (11.58) this morning because of another site absorption problem.  I don't have a brave face this morning because I detest waking up to a high number when I haven't eaten any food since the evening before.

I was told there aren't any generic insulins because there is too much money to be made by protecting the current patents.  I'm not so sure I would want a generic anyway since generics don't always work the same for everyone.  And I do take generic meds, but there is also a brand name that I pay dearly for because it works where the generic does not.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

bigskygal

74 (4.1) this clear morning, 88 (4.88) at bedtime last night.

It is warming up, right now it is 87°F (30.5°C) and that is the predicted high for the day.  Monday is supposed to be even warmer then back down into the 70's for a few days.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

skb

108 today morning. It rained a lot yesterday and there was some water logging in parts of the city.

The absence of generic insulin is obviously to safeguard the business interests of Big Pharma. It's a shame, because in all the years that insulin has been around they've made enough money out of it.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

rocky

Talking of brave faces, I need one right now. Here comes the liver backlash.

88 before dinner last night and 101 today morning.

A reminder to never take one reading at face value.
My life is based on a true story.

Shanny

Not sure what exactly is meant by 'generic', but there is OTC insulin available at Walmart:

http://insulinnation.com/treatment/medicine-drugs/insulin-over-counter/

Tamagno

267 this morning.

The generic insulin question appears to go a bit deeper than a conspiracy of collusion given the ways in which governments and pharmaceutical companies deal with drug patents overall.

However that may be, the losing end of the affair is the insulin user.

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

walkerwally1

73 (4.04) this morning.  A little cooler each day, 95° (35°C) yesterday and about 90° expected today.  The rest of the week should be about the same.  Not bad at all.
I think that as long as the patents are still not expired, like any prescription drug, there cannot be any generic for the brands like  basal insulins such as Lantus and Levemir, as well as rapid-acting insulins like Novolog, Humalog and Apidra.  People will have to wait for these patents to expire before a generic can be available.  I don't know anything about insulin but I understand that the OC insulin from Walmart is not as effective as the brand name varieties.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/5/2024
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Grammabear

97 this morning.

It isn't exactly that the OTC isn't as effective, it is that their insulin profile is different.  They take a lot longer to start lowering blood sugar levels after eating and their 'peak' effective time is also different than rapid acting insulins.  However they will serve to save someone's life if that person is short on funds to pay for prescribed insulin.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

bigskygal

83 (4.6) this partly cloudy morning, 85 (4.71) at bedtime last night.

It got up to 82°F (27.7°C) today. Predicted high was 93°F (33.8°C), thank goodness that didn't happen.  Don't know where the temps are measured.  Tomorrow, back to the 70's.

I am almost tempted to do a test of my "cure".  I'm thinking of going back to the SAD for a week or two and see what my numbers do.  I told my pcp the only reason I am "cured' is because of my lc/hf way of eating. He said "maybe", I sort of really want to prove him wrong...but I don't want to hurt myself either...

12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.

skb

Barbara,

Our "cure" is based on solid science which is known to us for many years and confirmed by studies, authorities on diet and disease, and by 1000s of friends across various forums. I don't think there is any need to "test" that. It will only hurt you. If that helps with your insurance issues, then that is another issue.

Rocky, you are absolutely right. A bad meal lingers on for days (4 in my case) and keeps coming back to haunt us.

102 pre-dinner, thanks to a very late lunch at 4 pm and consequently a 131 this morning.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

bigskygal

skb, tihis is what scares me at this point. My ins can refuse me access to stripes at an affordable price. I am on a really restricted income, if I am cut off from my strips I am scared.. if pcp is only going to allow 2 strips a month I don't know what I can do...

rocky

@bgs, that's a tough call, but be careful in what you choose. Isn't there someone higher-up that you could talk to and make them understand ?

@skb, you are quite right and I am aware of that. It's just that, with mum I'm compelled to eat what she makes. She has so much affection that I cannot refuse. But I've recovered a lot since Sunday. I was 82 yesterday before dinner and 96 this morning.
My life is based on a true story.

Shanny

Geez Barb, you really do have to prove to your doc that he hasn't cured you - that your way-of-eating is what is controlling your blood sugar. He must understand the necessity for strips and that it relies on him. Hard to believe that a so-called man of science could be so ignorant about something in his own field of expertise.

Carbcrazydog

Thanks everyone for your wishes. It does mean more responsibilities but I worked hard for it, so it feels like an achievement for sure.

116 today morning after eating erratically in the long weekend.