You can help us

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Fasting BG 2017

Started by Tamagno, January 01, 2017, 06:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walkerwally1

94 this morning.  Weather guys have missed the mark again when they all sais we are going to have a "hard freeze" overnight.  Low temp. at 42° so not quite freezing.  Not complaining and it is supposed to be warming up after tomorrow.
As feared there are two large wildfires that started overnight.  Very high winds have made it very dangerous.  Wind gusts as high as 80 MPH making it impossible to get a handle on the fires.  In Ventura County the fire started around 6 PM yesterday and has burned over 32,000 acres.  Over 150 structures, mostly homes and some apartment buildings and one Hospital destroyed.  There is zero % containment at this time.  In North West Los Angeles County a fire started early in the morning and is growing very fast with many homes burning and many in danger.  These are not homes that are in the forests with lots of trees around.  They are in housing tracks and while the fires may start in brush and wooded areas the winds carry embers for miles and start structures on fire.  Pretty scary.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with LCHF diet. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

auntiekris

108 this morning, but up to 187 after a cup of coffee and a traffic-laden commute.  Today, I'm committing to LCHF again.  I figure if I put it out here, it can't hurt.

Cute pic CCD!

My experience with the fires up here has given me a different perspective of the Ventura fire.  So scary.

No rain in sight for the next week, sigh.

Shanny

All the fire talk takes me back to my childhood. My dad was a volunteer fireman, and most of what they fought were prairie fires . . . we lived in west-central Nebraska and so often a strike of lightening would ignite a haystack or some old dead tree, and the race would be on. It fostered in me a dread that we'd arrive home someday and our house would be on fire. And of course I always worried that Dad would get hurt battling a blaze.

bigskygal

100 (5.54) this cloudy morning, 99 (5.48) at bedtime last night.

Wally, I have seen photos of the fires, and they are horrific. Those winds are awful! Having lived in the Sierras in Northern CA, fires are terrifying. I can remember many times leaving home with all my valuables in my car and saying goodbye to my house because it might not be there when I got back.

On the downsizing front, my DD wants me to move back to CA and live in a tiny house in her backyard. Um not sure how that will/would work. Not sure I can even afford to live in CA any more. But with that thought in the back, way back in my mind, every week I throw out things I don't use or donate them if they are still usable. Just trying to lighten the load...

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Shanny

Cost of living is the biggest consideration, and exactly the reason we left Colorado. Just can't afford to live on the Front Range! I suppose parts of Missouri are just as expensive, but down here in the Ozarks it's much more manageable, especially since we paid off our home mortgage.

rocky

Quote from: Tamagno on December 05, 2017, 05:26:47 AM
Well, I like getting rid of excess stuff anywhere in the house I find it, including the kitchen.

I'm a minimalist too, in comparison to most. I keep very few things in my house & only those that are needed.

80 last evening & 94 this morning.
My life is based on a true story.

skb

Quote from: auntiekris on December 05, 2017, 03:24:34 PM
Today, I'm committing to LCHF again.  I figure if I put it out here, it can't hurt.

I'll join you in that. I need to be very committed again. Stating your goals here helps with the determination and then if you watch others' numbers that helps too. 
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

You Tube Channel HEALTHY WEIGH

Tamagno

141 this morning.

We seem to be having a brief spell of warmish weather here with temperatures yesterday in the 50s and much the same today.

Bigskygal, among the stumbling blocks I've found regarding moving are the problem of selling our current place and the cost of the actual move (not to mention a variety of health care-related costs). I haven't yet been able to force myself to do the actual calculations, but depending on how long I live, figure it may not be worth all the hassle. Of course, I also don't have kids, so that also would change things.
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G6 CGM with Control IQ.

"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life; it goes on." Robert Frost

Grammabear

85 this morning.

I had a super visit with the PA (physician assistant) yesterday.  My visit with her was the first time I met her since my regular Ear, Nose & Throat doctor decided I had progressed well enough to switch my care from herself to her assistant.  My ENT is a nice enough lady, but her assistant is a whole different person.  My ear requires periodic cleaning in order to remain infection free and the process usually is painful so I dread it.  This new PA has such a gentle touch that the 'process' was indeed tolerable and I actually enjoyed my visit with her.  I hope she stays in our area for a long time.  Never thought I would have such a kind ear doctor.  :)
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

walkerwally1

99 this morning.  We did get under the freezing point overnight at 29° (-2°C) so the weather guys were close this time.  Should be warming up a bit.
The fires continue and the strong winds are going to last through Friday.  Some areas have clocked gusts of 70-75 MPH and zero containment.  A new fire broke out this morning in Los Angeles near the Getty Center and the I405 Freeway.  This is an area of foothills with heavy brush and multi-million $ homes.  Fire fighting resources are being stretched quite thin.
I am glad we moved from the house in the mountains to town and fire is one of the motivators.  As far as cost of living it is a bit less costly to maintain this house and if you have the cost of housing covered the rest of the economy is not bad in this area.  It gets much more costly in areas like San Francisco and Los Angeles for example but out here it is not bad.   
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

auntiekris

125 this morning after a super low 43 in the middle of the night.  And after the drive to work, up to 204.  It feels good to be back to the LCHF way, which I know is really the only way to go.  SKB, glad you're on board with me.  Right now, my immediate goal is to keep between the 100-200 range.  For now. 

Shanny, having your dad out there fighting fires as a kid, definitely must have been very scary. 

GB, I loved my prior doc.  I kinda checked out after she moved to a different department.  I realized how lucky I was to have someone who would actually listen to me. 

Barbara, I think it's great that you have an option to move back if you want to.  I agree with Wally, I think the biggest cost of living in CA, especially the Bay Area, is the cost of housing.  If that's not an issue, then maybe it's doable?   

walkerwally1

Quote from: auntiekris on December 06, 2017, 12:56:50 PM
GB, I loved my prior doc.  I kinda checked out after she moved to a different department.  I realized how lucky I was to have someone who would actually listen to me. 

I think that is a huge benefit.  The reason I like my present doctor is that she really listens and responds to any questions I have.  A rare thing for most doctors. 
A1c 5.4%   8/1/2023

Shanny

It seems to me that many of us here at DP have found docs who pay attention. I've advocated for this for so many years - that when people do have to find a new doc, make sure you get what you want - not just what you're assigned. In some instances people don't have an option, but if you DO have a option, interview the candidates and try to get the one who pays attention.

We've been with our doc so long now, that it seems like we're friends, even though we never see him outside of the office. He's guided us through so many hard situations & tough times, I don't know what we'd do without him.

Grammabear

When I say that the new PA was a kind doctor, I have to go back in time to another doctor I had as a child who would pinch your neck or slap your shoulder if you didn't "hold still" while he was working on you.  Of course he never allowed a parent to be in the room while he was working on their child, so my parents could not believe the "stories" I was telling them about him being mean to me.

Nowadays doctors are not physical as in slapping people, but some of them are still mean by saying mean things to patients.  This new doctor is another whole good experience for me and I am grateful.
Type 1, Tslim X2 pump, Dexcom G6
A1C 6.2% ~ Mar 2021

"I will forever remain humble I know I could have less.
I will always be grateful I know I have had less."

bigskygal

87 (4.82) this overcast morning, 89 (4.93) at bedtime last night.

I am going to be looking for a new pcp closer to home. There is a clinic in the next town over that is connected to the hospital I use now, so they would have access to all my records. My current pcp is accepting of lc/hf even keto but doesn't recommend it to any of his other diabetics which I find deplorable considering the success he has seen me have. He also says some very disrespectful things. Once he said I didn't need an ob/gyn as I had been "gutted like a fish" referring to my hysterectomy. I don't like change much and that is why I have stayed with him so long (also his nurse was my friend..she has recently retired so no loyalty left there.)

It is going to be 15°F (-9.4°C) overnight it is already 19°F (-7.2°C) at 8:30 PM. I wouldn't miss the cold of MT if I went back to CA, but I would miss the snow!! Doesn't snow often in the Bay Area.

T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%   A1c 6/12  5.7%.  A1c 4% 7/13 to 12/16.
12-16  5.1%.  6/18 5.3%.  6/19  5.7%.  6/20 5.7%.  7/21 5.2%.  8/22 5.5%. 7/23 6%. 7/24 6.8%.
Off meds 3/15, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.